User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Detroit 'fishflies' on WJR

KonchuJune 13th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

http://www.wjr.com/Sectional.asp?id=34620

Did an interview over the weekend that some of you might find amusing.
OldredbarnJune 14th, 2011, 11:46 am
Novi, MI

Luke,

Listened to your 15 mins of fame, mister...You would think, in a place like Detroit, that a mayfly that pre-dates the damn town itself, that the locals would know more about the darn thing...They see em every year.

When I was working my way through Wayne State U I drove truck for the Detroit Free Press. I used to have an early morning stop near Jefferson Ave out by Mt Clemens near Lake St Clair...There was a small bank out in the middle of no-where and the Hex would be everywhere and all over the sidewalk...I could hardly lay the bundles of newspapers down without smashing them...Vehicles would slide through stop lights under street lamps, the road were covered with them...Incredible!

Things have been running a tad late with our odd spring but Father's Day is usually the beginning of the hoop-la! Especially further north of here in Detroit.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123June 14th, 2011, 1:02 pm
Oscoda, MI

"That's Pure Michigan"...

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
KonchuJune 14th, 2011, 4:15 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

I thought the interview was going to be about mayflies, and not so much mosquitoes, so I was caught a little off guard. I looked, and there's closer to 60 spp of mosquitoes in MI, but around Detroit itself, you could argue my answer. Had hoped to talk about the Fishfly Festival in New Baltimore, where we visited a few years ago, and had a terrifying traffic experience like you described, Spence.

PS, I'm wondering now if the whole "male mosquito" thing was really about the mufflehead midges?
TaxonJune 14th, 2011, 9:50 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Luke,

Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZOJune 14th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

PS, I'm wondering now if the whole "male mosquito" thing was really about the mufflehead midges?

In Detroit, Dr. Luke, I believe they're known as "mufflerhead" midges. :)

OldredbarnJune 14th, 2011, 11:22 pm
Novi, MI

Hey! We resemble that remark...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsJune 15th, 2011, 12:19 pm
Colorado

I thought the interview was going to be about mayflies, and not so much mosquitoes, so I was caught a little off guard. ...

Apparently, the interviewer thought it was supposed to be about bugs that bug people. I mean, that's what bugs do, isn't it? :)
TroutnutJune 15th, 2011, 6:45 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Good interview, Luke. I noticed you said a lot of the area repellents for mosquitoes are gimmicks. Could you elaborate on that? I've never tried one, but I was thinking about getting some for when my wife comes back to Fairbanks in a couple weeks, because she hates mosquitoes.

It seems the main ones on the market are the Off Clip-Ons you mentioned in your interview (http://www.off.com/ClipOn.aspx) and the ThermaCell products (http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent) that my local sporting goods store carries. The ThermaCell has really good reviews on Amazon. Is there any reason to think it's a gimmick, or is it worth a try?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
KonchuJune 15th, 2011, 7:20 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

@Troutnut-I haven't actually found the clipons yet. I wished that I would have said something about DEET, but I was trying to give soundbites. I think the Off one has it, but I'm not sure. I have not heard of the ThermaCell, so I won't comment. In my experience, a lot of products are as good as snake oil, especially the sonicators, and things like that. If anyone wants to argue, I'm all ears. Mosquitoes key in on CO2 and body odors, more than anything else, as far as I know. That is something else I should have said something about: CO2. But I suppose that is just another dirty word in the Motor City. :}

@PaulRoberts-Yes, I think he thought it was about nuisance insects. Not usually where I place mayflies...except maybe an urban Hex hatch. So, I should have known better.
JOHNWJune 15th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Konchu et al.
My wife got me one of those off clip on things.
My testing ground was a local nameless meadow stream with a penchant for carnivorous bugs. The first night ( no repellent)resulted in 17 welts on exposed skin, night two ( with the off clip on) 0 welts.
I repeated the exercise while on my recent Potter Co. PA outting (this time unintentionally as the control outtting was a result of a report that "there are drakes on and the damn fish are rising" that night resulted in about 15 bites. The next night with repellent in place 0 bites (unfortunatly it was 0 takes from the trout both nights).
The one thing it did not seem to stop was the biting "no see-ums" but it did seem to reduce the number of mosquito punctures. Of course this study was far from a scientific double blind deal but the only significant variable which changed on both tests was the presence of the Off clip on.
And no the active ingredients DO NOT contain DEET in the Off clip product.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
KonchuJune 15th, 2011, 9:03 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

what's the ingredient, or is it proprietary?
TroutnutJune 16th, 2011, 5:26 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Quoting from this website about the active ingredient in ThermaCells:

The ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent utilizes the active ingredient known as allethrin. It belongs to a class of materials called pyrethroids, which are synthetic analogs of pyrethrin, which is a naturally occurring insecticide found in certain types of chrysanthemum known as pyrethrum flowers. Mosquitoes really do not like this material. The allethrin is contained in the blue mats, and when they are heated it causes the allethrin to "volatilize", which is similar to evaporation.

It has rave reviews on several store websites, including Amazon.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
AdirmanJune 16th, 2011, 6:03 am
Monticello, NY

A guy on another forum I belong to was just talking about this. He gives the therma-cell an awesome review as well. Said he was fishing somewhere up in the Adriondacks and bugs were all over, as usual! Anyway, he said the therma-cell unit formed a bubble of clear air, insect free around him and that it worked very well. I guess the only thing you have to watch is dropping it in the water when wading and/or going in too deep and submerging it. I don't know if they're water-proof, I assume not!!
PaulRobertsJune 16th, 2011, 7:41 am
Colorado

Apparently some people are "tastier" than others, which could easily skew opinions.
Jmd123June 16th, 2011, 1:17 pm
Oscoda, MI

I'll have to give one a try - I'm one of those "tasty" people and I typically have a cloud following me around on the trout streams at this time of year...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
JOHNWJune 16th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Chambersburg, PA

@konchu
Off lists the active ingredient as "metofluthrin"

Going by the safety labeling it is some pretty nasty stuff
They recomend washing with soap and then rinsing for 20 minutes if you just get ot on your skin.
And it can be toxic to pets and children.

@jmd
Just eat a head or two of garlic the day before an outting. I guarentee that you will not be bothered by a single mosquito or anything with a sense of smell.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
KonchuJune 16th, 2011, 8:03 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Thanks, all, for the info. Wish you could have been holding up cue cards in my living room last weekend! On second thought, I don't know about hosting this rowdy bunch...
TroutnutJune 16th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I bought a ThermaCell today, and will report back here on how it works.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123June 16th, 2011, 11:45 pm
Oscoda, MI

I love garlic! But, does it have to be raw? No problem, next time I make pesto I'll just add some extra...

Jonathon
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.