Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > trout fishing for nubees

AnarMay 6th, 2013, 5:15 pm
Toronto

Hey there,

I am a beginner fisherman who lives in Toronto ON, and I have been trying to catch trout for several months already but nothing. I have some questions, I would really appreciate if you could give me solid advice on catching a trout.

I have tried fishing trout with: 6 lb. main line and 4 lb. leader, tried roe eggs, garlic eggs power bait, artificial garlic flavour pink worm, marsh mellows.
I have tried in the afternoon, close to evening, also at night once.
I tried setup: bobber, size 3 split shots approx. 4-5 inch, and then size 14 hook.

What am I doing wrong ? Thank you.
OldredbarnMay 6th, 2013, 9:06 pm
Novi, MI

What am I doing wrong ? Thank you.

Maybe your trout are vegetarians...How about bug-e-tarians...All kidding aside, if you are serious, look into a fly fishing site...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnMay 7th, 2013, 4:31 pm
Novi, MI

Mack...You do understand irony, no? :) I was just poking a little. It's my job on this site...to play the little snarly terrier nipping around the ankles of the hardware and bait casting guys. :)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
SayfuMay 7th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Posts: 560Oldredbarn. I admire that quality in a man. You are a fantastic nipper.
FalsiflyMay 7th, 2013, 7:10 pm
Hayward, WI.

Anar, that is one impressive carp. I would gladly trade a dozen 20 in.+ trout caught on a spinner bait for one of those on a fly.

I have tried fishing trout with: 6 lb. main line and 4 lb. leader, tried roe eggs, garlic eggs power bait, artificial garlic flavour pink worm, marsh mellows.

I would add dough balls, cheese balls, popcorn and a hook inserted into a strike indicator. Garlic? Not during spawning season.

For those of you who are fly fishermen/women thinking that I am in any way belittling Anar, or the bait casting crowd, let me assure you that my suggestions have been proven, by me, to be most effective here in the State of Wisconsin. But of course I use a fly rod. ;)
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
EntomanMay 8th, 2013, 12:54 am
Northern CA & ID

For those of you who are fly fishermen/women thinking that I am in any way belittling Anar...

No way, Allan. If anything you are being over-generous. Frankly, I'm in mild distress over your public confession of dalliance with the dark side.:)

Anar - You will find more useful information about your method on a general fishing forum. This is a fly fishing forum with a big emphasis on insect hatches in keeping with the website's purpose. I'm afraid you've posted a bunch of basketball questions on a football forum. Not snobbery, just different interest and focus. That's what Oldredbarn was trying to tell you in his unique style. The reason he asked if you are serious is because your questions are pretty far afield from what we discuss here (or try to). We do get prank posts from time to time.

Look into fly fishing as an option! It's a wonderful sport... If you do, please come back as you will find many hear willing to help you.

Good fishing!

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanMay 8th, 2013, 1:09 am
Northern CA & ID

...but it was on a elk hair caddis size 16 on a 3 wht.

By chance, Mack - are you and Jon related?:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanMay 8th, 2013, 2:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

:)
Jmd123May 8th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Oscoda, MI

"... elk hair caddis size 16 on a 3 wht..."

Did someone invoke my name??? Wouldn't ya know, I was just using the exact same a few hours ago...for TROUT, though, not carp! Even got a few today too, bugs and fish are finally waking up around here!

I actually DID once catch a carp on a 3-weight, a 7-footer (NO, not the carp!), on a chartreuse KBF no less. The fish was 28" long, weighed 10 pounds, and put up NO FIGHT whatsoever! I led it around by the nose until I could get my trout-sized net over about 1/3 of it's body and had to cradle the rest in my arms. Nice healthy-looking one too, all golden with red fins - don't know why it didn't fight like a salmon, given it's size...

BTW Anar, welcome to the forum! Just watch out for that Oldredbarn dude, he's trouble! ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
AnarMay 9th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Toronto

Thank you everybody for your replies, I am sorry if I caused any inconvenience. I will address my questions to a fishing forum. I do not have any experience with fly fishing, does it really make a huge difference? could you please explain? May be I should convert.:)
AnarMay 9th, 2013, 3:09 pm
Toronto

Would you share some those secret spots? :) or may be share some of your experience, I can drive no problem.
P.S. thank you for welcoming me.
AnarMay 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Toronto

Mack,
I understand regarding conservation and helping to reproduce wild trout.
I also wanna thank you so much for this offer I accept your condition:)

I'll practice and watch all the necessary videos on youtube. Though I haven't seen fly fishing kit in Canadian Tire but I'll double check. I went to Bass pro mills but the kit there was like 200-300 dollars. I am checking kijiji for cheaper price.
Once again Thank you very much.
AnarMay 9th, 2013, 10:48 pm
Toronto

Thank you Mack,
I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.