User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Site updates from June 12, 2011

Updates from June 12, 2011

Comments / replies

FalsiflyJune 14th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Hayward, WI.

So, the trout in Alaska are carnivorous, taking down unsuspecting moose as they cross the rivers, akin to the African crocs feeding on the wildebeests?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GONZOJune 14th, 2011, 9:21 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Fantastic photos, Jason. There are probably some things that you won't miss about Alaska when you leave (the long dark winters, Sarah Palin--I'm just guessing), but I'm sure that images like these will not be among them.
FalsiflyJune 14th, 2011, 10:06 pm
Hayward, WI.

(the long dark winters, Sarah Palin--I'm just guessing)

Dang it Gonzo, just when I thought it was safe to go outside.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GONZOJune 14th, 2011, 10:21 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Yeah, sorry about that, Allan. I apologize to all fans of Ms. Palin...and long dark winters.
OldredbarnJune 14th, 2011, 10:34 pm
Novi, MI

Jason,

Thanks for sharing you experiences etc since you have been way up there. We here at TroutNut have had wonderful stories, photos, something of an education on Alaska and it's fishery, and even got to share a bit in a love story...Can't beat that...And to think most of us came here for the bugs?! Go figure...

Spence

I'm enjoying the trip back to Alyeska right here from my living room in Detroit.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutJune 15th, 2011, 1:51 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

There are probably some things that you won't miss about Alaska when you leave (the long dark winters, Sarah Palin--I'm just guessing)

Good guesses!

One less expected thing I won't miss is the lack of ordinary hatch-matching fishing. The grayling are almost too easy to catch.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123June 15th, 2011, 10:44 pm
Oscoda, MI

Jason, NEVER fret about fish that are "too easy to catch". Some of us live for those days! Especially on those days when you couldn't catch a fish using dynamite...

Spectacular scenery! Great golden eagle shot! Moose poop! And thanks for the scientific plant names, from this botany geek.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsJune 15th, 2011, 11:31 pm
Colorado

Very nice photos.
TroutnutJune 16th, 2011, 12:07 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Jason, NEVER fret about fish that are "too easy to catch". Some of us live for those days! Especially on those days when you couldn't catch a fish using dynamite...

It's just nice to have a little mystery about what you're going to catch. Grayling fishing around here, I can pretty much map out how many and what size I will catch before I leave the house. It's still fun, but it's made me appreciate the excitement that comes with the element of uncertainty in fishing for difficult trout.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.