Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Any site/forum improvement requests?

TroutnutApril 14th, 2011, 7:47 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I'm doing a little bit of programming to improve the site right now, and moving it over to a better server. While I'm at it, does anyone have any requests?

I can't guarantee I'll get to everything (or anything) but if someone hits me with a really good idea that fits into my plans I'll be all over it.

Can't wait to show you guys what I've got in store!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
KonchuApril 15th, 2011, 3:14 am
Site Editor
Indiana

maybe a clickable agree/disagree feature for rating responses to posts, sort of similar to FB's 'like'

a way to scroll over the title of a thread and see the most recent two or three posts in a preview box so that I know whether I want to read the rest
FalsiflyApril 15th, 2011, 8:02 am
Hayward, WI.

1- Under the (Title, Replies, Last reply) heading, in which the list of most recent topics is maintained, I notice that the author’s name of the topic title is replaced by the name of the person last posting. The same is true under the (Most Recent Posts) side bar. I suggest that the author’s name remain fixed with the title.

2- I believe that a displayed count of, current, site viewers, and logged in members by name, would be an interesting feature.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CaseyPApril 15th, 2011, 8:12 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

what Falsifly said in his 1st paragraph. that has always bugged me.

otherwise, the compact display of postings without a lot of avatars, stars, and other bells and whistles, makes it my favorite to use.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
OldredbarnApril 15th, 2011, 10:09 am
Novi, MI

Jason,

You already know what I want...You to get your bee-hind down to the Au Sable with your camera and lets, you and I, fill in some gaps in your bug photos! I know I'm not the only one dying to see a photo of Centroptilum album!!! :)

I could of given you some specimens, of what could of been them, back in 2002 from the window at the Riverside Tavern in Lovells after my boys had swept Washington for the Cup (could history be about to repeat itself?)...I was probably "in my cups" and was shooting pool and in the window east of the black bear skin hanging on the wall there were a zillion bugs attracted to the neon sign in the window. A near perfect fish-eye-view as they crawled across the glass. There were these, Tony would love this!, size 22-24(?) little creamy/yellow mayflies that looked like a smaller version of E dorothea...Absolutely gorgeous little critters with perfectly split tails...I meant to grab a couple on my way back to the cabin, but as I walked over the Lovell's bridge, over the North Branch, next to the old Douglas Lodge where Edison/Ford use to fish from, and called my wife from a phone booth near where I was staying ("I love ya babe! My boys just won the Cup! You should of seen these little mayflies on the window at the bar...Oh shit! I forgot to grab a couple...Oh well!") Her response, "Sweetie...You didn't drive did you?"..."No dear I walked"..."OK hon. Pleasant dreams and I hope you remember calling me tonight."

Anyway...Tony and I know it's going to be Pittsburgh/Detroit in the Finals and it will be "Katie-bar-the-door!" You Troutnuts will have to bail us out from 1300 Beaubien (Detroit Police Headquarters) because we will burn this town down!!!

And that poor bear skin I mentioned...Every year that I see it its missing more and more little patches of hair...I would think the mange but it looks more like precise snips from a curved pointed Dr Slick scissors... Not that I own a pair! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonApril 15th, 2011, 10:23 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jason-

A preview screen would certainly be a welcome addition. That way, one could make sure photos are showing up, or links are working, before actually making a post.

Thanks for asking,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutApril 15th, 2011, 10:36 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming.

1- Under the (Title, Replies, Last reply) heading, in which the list of most recent topics is maintained, I notice that the author’s name of the topic title is replaced by the name of the person last posting. The same is true under the (Most Recent Posts) side bar. I suggest that the author’s name remain fixed with the title.

Great point! I remember noticing this years ago and wanting to fix it, but I had forgotten about it. I'll get right on that.

otherwise, the compact display of postings without a lot of avatars, stars, and other bells and whistles, makes it my favorite to use.

I'm glad you like that... that's why I built it that way. Keep the focus on the conversation! I am upgrading it visually to have a more polished, inviting look, but I think you'll find that clean it keeps the same clean, non-distracting feel.

I have already added optional avatars / user profile pictures to the new version, and I think it really adds a lot more than I originally expected it would. Especially when you're new to the site, it's easier to get to know people if you see a picture by their post along with their name. See a picture twice and it'll instantly ring familiar; not so with a username. Also, I find that when I'm browsing posts quickly I tend to skim through the post text itself, and the usernames are just far enough away that my eyes don't wander over and read them unless I consciously stop and wonder who wrote what. Profile pictures make it instantly obvious who wrote a post, even in your peripheral vision. Also, some people will (hopefully) choose to use actual pictures of themselves for that, and I think putting faces with some of the names will improve the sense of community.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
JesseApril 15th, 2011, 10:43 am
As far as the site goes just do your thing brother. Id just like to see more people posting pictures up so everyone can see. I love getting on this site and seeing some fresh photography from others. Its exciting and i feel like we should all do that more..?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Jmd123April 15th, 2011, 11:31 am
Oscoda, MI

The "little picture next to your username" thing is all the rage these days, so I think it will work here as well. Then we can all see what each other looks like, unless of course you post some picture of a bug or trout's face in place of your own...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
AdirmanApril 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm
Monticello, NY

I really like the bug pics and related info as it has helped me immensely in my bug recognition skills. I realize its not easy but I guess gradually adding to the bug pics collection would be great!
TaxonApril 15th, 2011, 3:06 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jason-

I suspect you were formulating your reply while I was posting, so you didn't see my reply, so am re-posting it.

A preview screen would certainly be a welcome addition. That way, one could make sure photos are showing up, or links are working, before actually making a post.

Thanks for asking,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutApril 15th, 2011, 3:11 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Thanks Roger. I'll probably do that.

I just fixed this one (on the test server for the update, not here):

Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
GutcutterApril 16th, 2011, 9:26 am
Pennsylvania

jason - not many suggestions other than
1) an easier way to quote previous posts on a thread to make remarks (usually smart ass from me)
2) a "not related to insects or trout fishing" topic board in the forum section.
those that want to post other species and topics (like "hockey" for spence) can use this instead of regular topic threads.
oh, and a filter button for spence's posts ;)
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123April 16th, 2011, 11:51 am
Oscoda, MI

OK, I've got a couple of good ones:

1) How about a "Complaint Box" for posters who complain about the posts of others; and

2) A guide to capitalization in writing.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutApril 16th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

2) A guide to capitalization in writing.

rofL
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
CaseyPApril 17th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

A guide to capitalization in writing. Jmd123

rofl. Troutnut

oh, whew. i nearly took offense...;-)

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
TroutnutApril 17th, 2011, 4:18 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

The capital L in rofL was a joke! Nobody noticed? :-P
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
FredHApril 17th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Lake Charles , Louisiana

This site is known around the web for it's entomology experts and great underwater insect photography. It is a great resource and I don't know of anything that could make it better .Thanks for letting me stick around , what ever you guys and Jason think is fine with me.
Fred
http://www.realisticflytying.net
TroutnutApril 17th, 2011, 7:15 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I don't know of anything that could make it better

If only you could see the length of my list of things that could make it better!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
OldredbarnApril 18th, 2011, 8:04 am
Novi, MI

2) a "not related to insects or trout fishing" topic board in the forum section.
those that want to post other species and topics (like "hockey" for spence

Tony, Tony, Tony!

I'm sure you have heard of the "six degrees of separation" theory or "six degrees of Kevin Bacon", or whatever...Well here in Detroit (Hockeytown) its the "Six Degrees of Gordie Howe"...Everything can be traced back to Mr. Hockey...Everything! At least until the playoffs are over...:)

oh, and a filter button for spence's posts ;)

Jason has been kind enough to me not to mention it, but all his new upgrades were prompted because of me...It seems I was putting a bit of a strain on his servers and he needed to amp up the memory on his end and he decided, "What the hell! I might as well update the whole damn thing while I'm at it!"

Sorry! ;)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.