Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Any site/forum improvement requests?, Page 2

Shawnny3April 18th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I think we need more emoticons, so that when people post things like this...

Anyway...Tony and I know it's going to be Pittsburgh/Detroit in the Finals

...it will be more obvious that they are joking. Otherwise, someone might unwittingly take offense. Or, what Tony said.

-Shawn

P.S. I got your joke, Jason, but just barely. I was so in shock at the use of text-speak that I almost missed it.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
OldredbarnApril 19th, 2011, 11:07 am
Novi, MI

I think we need more emoticons

Shawn,

Do we really need to give Spence access to more emoticons?! If the old-fart emotes any more he's going to explode...

Spence

Lets go Red Wings!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CaseyPApril 19th, 2011, 1:17 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

oh, good, now this is my kind of forum: one of the threads has been well and truly hijacked so we can discuss important topics while pretending to do something else more worthwhile, and i can join in:

somebody has to do it so i will: GO CAPS!! oh...Jason...are you a closet Ranger fan?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
TroutnutApril 19th, 2011, 4:14 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

are you a closet Ranger fan?

So far in the closet I had to look up who they are were!

When I was 8 I was subscribed to Ranger Rick, if that counts.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
TroutnutApril 20th, 2011, 2:25 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Wow I feel like an idiot... I just found a ridiculous bug that's been on the live site for 4+ years! The full-size versions of all the relatively new images (specifically the ones with the semi-transparent watermarks, not the old black-and-white watermarks) were actually PNG images disguised as .jpg files, so they were all about 10 times bigger than they should be! No wonder the full-size images loaded so slowly. Needless to say I'm fixing it so they'll all load about 10x faster after the update.

I wonder how many terabytes of bandwidth I've wasted thanks to that.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
OldredbarnApril 20th, 2011, 6:25 am
Novi, MI

I wonder how many terabytes of bandwidth I've wasted thanks to that.

No need to worry Ranger Rick, once its up and running Spence will just eat up those "terabytes" anyway, like he just did his morning bagel & cream cheese and hard-boiled egg...:)

Feed the monster!!!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FalsiflyApril 20th, 2011, 7:46 am
Hayward, WI.

No need to worry Ranger Rick, once its up and running Spence will just eat up those "terabytes" anyway, like he just did his morning bagel & cream cheese and hard-boiled egg...:)

We all know what results from eating bagels & cream cheese and hard boiled eggs. I guess that explains your posts this morning.

Just kidding Spence, it’s good to see you’re back.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
OldredbarnApril 20th, 2011, 9:54 am
Novi, MI

:) Allan...Your aren't insinuating I'm stinking up the forum are you? ;) Oops!!

Sitting on the bank with a fishing buddy years ago and he let one rip, as they say, and then he came up with the following..."Spence. There isn't anything worse than a wader fart...It's trapped down there and leaks out through the opening here not too far from your nose...I think I'll invent one of those air fresheners that will hang down here from the top lip of my waders...What do ya think?" "Well...From where I'm sitting, down wind from you, I'd say that may be a great idea. Too bad they don't chase mosquitoes away!"

That one's for Kurt...

Spence

FalsiflyApril 20th, 2011, 12:46 pm
Hayward, WI.

Too bad they don't chase mosquitoes away!"

That one's for Kurt...

Spence, I may be wrong, but I detect a subliminal message in those words. If I’m correctly inferring what you are implying, you’ve got me rofL.

P.S. My apology to Jason for contributing to the high-jacking of this topic. Maybe a "Report Abuse" button is called for.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
OldredbarnApril 20th, 2011, 1:11 pm
Novi, MI

rofL.

Could someone PM me and explain this? All these new initials for everything is leaving this old dog in the dark...

Spence

EntomanApril 20th, 2011, 1:57 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence-

RofL!... RofL!

I think its a bark from an old dog in the dark...:)

As far as mosquito repellent; speak for yourself! Mine work pretty good which is why I loosen the wader belt occasionally....

The hijack is complete...

Kurt

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TroutnutApril 20th, 2011, 7:12 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

2) A guide to capitalization in writing.

rofL

Okay, for all the confused souls out there: ROFL is one of the first Internet abbreviations, from way back in the 90s, and it means "rolling on the floor laughing." Of course nobody who uses it is actually on the floor, so really it just means "haha that's funny."

I was replying to a complaint about capitalization, so I screwed it up by by capitalizing only the last letter, in an (apparently misguided) attempt at ironic humor.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123April 20th, 2011, 7:44 pm
Oscoda, MI

How can you be "rofL" if you're not actually on the floor? And if you actually ARE on the floor, how can you be typing on your computer that you are "rofL"-ing? Oh wait, I forgot, everyone except me has a laptop these days - you can take it with you when you fall out of your chair while "rofL"-ing!

Perhaps we need guides to:

1) Internet abbreviations like "rofL"; and

2) Internet humor (for Spence anyway).

There, two more suggestions for improvements to your website, Jason!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TaxonApril 20th, 2011, 7:52 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jonathan,

rolF. It appears I may not the only one on this forum who is literal to the point of inducing pain in others. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Jmd123April 20th, 2011, 7:55 pm
Oscoda, MI

Roger, all I can say is:

:oO

JMD
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnApril 21st, 2011, 9:40 am
Novi, MI

P.S. My apology to Jason for contributing to the high-jacking of this topic. Maybe a "Report Abuse" button is called for.

Allan,

I wish you could of seen my respose to this...It was high-lar-i-ous! and not in the least bit subliminal...It ended with me debating on whether or not I should post it or not...I went to post it and I'd timed-out...How's that for funny?! When I tried to log back in I somehow lost my post...

I'm taking it as a message from the blogging gods to clean up my ways...If my responses, in the future, actually time out before I post them...Then they must be too long...No more Leo and a little more Ezra...Hmmm...Bad choice there with Ezra...Anyway! You get the point...No more trilogies and a little more poetry...In fact I'm typing this so quickly now there could be some mistakes...

I'm sorry too Ranger Rick!

Spence

TaxonApril 21st, 2011, 11:48 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jonathan-

If :oO is an emoticom, its meaning must be a closely guarded secret.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CaseyPApril 21st, 2011, 3:56 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

I just found a ridiculous bug...

yeah, there's a lot of them around here...

ow! ouch! okay! okay! stop! i won't do it again!! sorry!! just couldn't resist...B-)
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.