Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Wisconsin protest update:

FalsiflyFebruary 20th, 2011, 1:51 pm
Hayward, WI.

Today protesters stormed the capital steps in Madison demanding an end to “Cabin Fever” (a.k.a. The Shack Nasties). An unnamed spokesperson for the group calling themselves “Fly Fishers for Equal Justice” sited an ever expanding epidemic, do to unfair state trout fishing regulations in various states, as the underlying cause. Thousands gathered in support wearing fishing vests, waders, and waving protest signs attached to fly rods. The group claimed that the turmoil started out in Michigan and has spread rapidly via the internet, and more specifically charged the web site Troutnut .com with spreading the virus. “It all started when a rather innocuous topic erupted into a rather lively debate between two of Michigan’s better known fly fishermen” said on of the more vocal protesters who would only identify himself as Falsifly. When asked for further comment he referred to his friend Jack who made this statement to reporters. “Many states have prejudiced our civil rights and thus segregated us from those afforded more individual freedom in other parts of the country. We stand firm on the grounds that all of us have the right to fish year round regardless of state residency and fishing regulations. No government agency has the power to deprive a person of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, which is the definition of fishing” stated Jack. He went on to say that, “The Declaration of Independence guarantees us these inalienable rights, so how the hell can the government step in and regulate them?” A group of counter-protesters, many violently brandishing PETA signs, were then asked to comment. A more vocal participant said, “Our freedom and liberty is based on the rule of law, and it is the rule of law that protects those rights, and those same rights must be extended to the trout.” In rebuttal Jack replied, “I understand that, but you progressives’ have turned on us, subjugating our rights to the rights of the fish. We have endured “Cabin Fever” long enough; it has turned brother against brother. We demand a stop to this unfair policy.” Falsifly then jumped in and finished by saying, “We must come together and fight the scourge of “Cabin Fever” and once again unite in solidarity. We must return to civil discourse, understanding that it is “Cabin Fever” to which we all, from time to time, fall prey. None of us is immune to fault and we cannot point fingers in blame. Let us once again unite and freely express our thoughts, and let no one shrug from his or her willingness to participate. We urge the speedy recovery and return of those we may have, even temporarily, lost to the bane.”

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Jmd123February 20th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Oscoda, MI

Is this a requiem for Spence's return from his self-imposed exile?

Here's a surefire cure for cabin fever, a suggestion that's almost guaranteed to set off yet another wave of protest: GO ICE FISHING. And, when you finally catch some ice, please be sure to take some pictures and post them on icenut.com...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutFebruary 20th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Update on this story:

Madison, WI. 7:15pm. Governor Scott Walker issued a statement today addressing the growing mob of fly fishermen suffering from the highly contagious "Cabin Fever." The statement reads: All trout in the state of Wisconsin will immediately be killed off with Rotenone. They have been freeloading off the taxpayers' aquatic insects for far too long, and neither the trout nor anglers have paid the state for those bugs. All emerging caddisflies will now be required to report to the nearest school cafeteria, where they will replace vegetables on the menu. In addition, this crisis is so severe that henceforth nobody will be allowed to go to the bathroom between noon and 3:00pm.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123February 20th, 2011, 10:06 pm
Oscoda, MI

And now the caddisfly response:

"YOU FASCIST COMMUNIST NAZI SATANIST BASTARDS!!!! We're just trying to live out our simple little collector/gatherer/shredder lifetyles and you CULTURE WARRIORS are attacking us just for WHO WE ARE, not for anything we've EVER done to you!!! By golly, we're going to injest some TOXIC WASTE and biomagnify it, so when your damned TROUT eat us, they be POISONED!!! How ya like me now, you ELITIST PIGS?????"
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pryal74February 20th, 2011, 10:42 pm
Escanaba, MI

I am so grateful I don't have to fight off cops, dogs and tear gas while wearing waders and holding my Sage 7 wt. Oh, the protest isn't real?! Of course I'm kidding. Ice fishing was my job a few years ago but I never took to it like Fly Fishing. I found it much less rewarding. I don't experience much cabin fever here, I just break out my winter gear and hit the Manistique for Steelhead. Some days the cold is tough but it keeps me off those protest lines. Only a few more months guys! Hang in there!
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
Jmd123February 21st, 2011, 1:29 pm
Oscoda, MI

James, you are HARDCORE, man! Then again, it appears you are quite successful, which I'm sure is encouraging.

I was going to do more ice fishing this winter but then the big move came, followed by readjustment to a workingman's schedule and then a nasty sinus infection. Plus, some very heavy snow and then a thaw...but I do believe in beating cabin fever by getting out. We got lucky downstate back in December with an early snowfall and a subsequent cold spell that kept it on the ground for a good two weeks. I went out cross-country skiing 14 days in a row, a personal record for December! I would have gone ice fishing in my hometown lake instead but the skiing was just too good to resist.

I did take a lovely walk down to the lower Au Sable from my house on Saturday and man does that water ever look fishy!

AND NOW FOR AN UPDATE ON THE WISCONSIN PROTESTS:

In response to the Governor's latest statements, trout throughout the state of Wisconsin announced on Monday that they would be seizing hatchery trucks for transport to Madison, where they plan on plugging Scott Walker's toilets in the Governor's mansion, as well as his private properties throughout the state, until they can have their caddisflies back and a permanent ban on rotenone is signed into law.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.