Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tip Section Rod

FisherOfMenFebruary 28th, 2012, 3:15 pm
NY

Hey guys I just got a beater rod, actually my most expensive one so far - an Eagle Claw Featherlight 7' 5#. I was playing around with it and tried casting with just the upper half. It performed quite well, and casted the line with ease and amazing sensitivity. Has anyone ever tried making a very small stream rod from the top-end section of an old beater rod? I hear of plenty of 5 & 6 foot 2#'s, but this is more like a 3.5ft 5#. Wouldn't a three foot rod perform beautifully in those tiny mountain streams? Any thoughts?
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
EntomanFebruary 28th, 2012, 3:29 pm
Northern CA & ID

The legendary Lee Wulff did that eons ago to much fanfare. Not with beater rods either. He performed his hat trick with high-end bamboo rods.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FisherOfMenFebruary 28th, 2012, 3:32 pm
NY

Cool! -...but "hat tricks"?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
PaulRobertsFebruary 28th, 2012, 3:43 pm
Colorado

It's a stunt. You need to move line to fish. A 3ft rod is a serious handicap.
FisherOfMenFebruary 28th, 2012, 3:47 pm
NY

Ah, I see. But how much line do you really need? -Mind you, I'm talking about for those teeny tiny mountain streams you can jump across. I think anything much longer would be a big nuisance, but then again I've never fished a stream this small before. I plan to this year, though. (Just as soon as that calender catches up with my excitement!)

PaulRobertsFebruary 28th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Colorado

I've gone as short as 6ft. But I've never tried a 3. I have one -a practice rod I made. Might try it for grins. But keeping line off or over offending currents helps a lot and a short rod means you have to be closer to the fish. And rod length helps in hook-setting too.
CrepuscularFebruary 28th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I have a 5'6" #3 sage LL that is really nice for small tight streams
OldredbarnFebruary 28th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Novi, MI

I have a 5'6" #3 sage LL that is really nice for small tight streams

I think you meant 6'6" or 6.5...A 5 foot rod is pretty short there...I do love my Sage Light Line though...Mine is a 9' for 5wt and works for me in so many situations...It's a monster when I float.

A good friend of mine wrapped the rod and was going to use it for out west. Instead he sold it to me and is still pissed I won't sell it back to him...A mutual guide friend of ours says its subtle but can be a rocket launcher when you need it to be.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularFebruary 28th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

No it's a 5'6' #3.
CrepuscularFebruary 28th, 2012, 5:03 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Why am I so stupid that I can't post a photo?All I see in my browser a box with a question mark in it! When you click on the box it goes to the photo. Anyway Spence, The LL series are really my favorites. (I have several) But I will say that the new Sage ZXL come pretty darn close if not even better, its hard for me to judge because the ZXL that I have is in a length/weight that I do not have in an LL. A few years back sage was willing to build matching tips for existing rods. I did that with a couple rods!
PaulRobertsFebruary 28th, 2012, 5:52 pm
Colorado

I use Photobucket. Easy set up and then you can post anywhere using the "img" format. On this site you must change case though: IMG (as it copies in from PB) to img.
EntomanFebruary 28th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Northern CA & ID

Erik -

You're not dumb. Though I haven't tried it, I believe the only place you can post a photo directly from your computer is in the Photography board. In addition, I'm pretty sure this only works when you create a new topic.

Paul -

Others have said the same thing, but I don't seem to have that problem. I just right click in the HMG code box, left click to open the actions window (while leaving the cursor in the code box), and then left click on Copy. Then I just type {link} in the post and paste to the right and finish up with {/link} (square brackets though). Haven't had to mess with cases. Weird...

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularFebruary 28th, 2012, 7:56 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Thank you very much gentlemen! I certainly do need assistance now and again! In this case it doesn't really matter, Spence didn't believe me that I had a sage 5'6" LL for a 3 wt so I was just trying to show him that I hadn't totally lost my mind.:)I was just trying to post a link to the photo on my website, I guess that doesn't work.
e
FalsiflyFebruary 28th, 2012, 8:36 pm
Hayward, WI.

There you go Erik

http://www.riseformsflyfishing.com/Riseforms_Fly_Fishing/Photos.html#0
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CrepuscularFebruary 28th, 2012, 9:18 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Thanks!
EntomanFebruary 28th, 2012, 9:39 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ah! there it is...

Yep, a 5 1/2 footer all right. If Lee Wulff were alive today, he'd take on 20 lb. salmon with that little guy.:)
OldredbarnFebruary 28th, 2012, 10:12 pm
Novi, MI

Eric,

I stand corrected. Now how do I get you to the Au Sable with it so I can try it out? :) That is an interesting little wand you have there. My shortest rod is a 6' 6" 3wt Loomis...There is a spot below a dam where I used to fish for bluegills that had slipped over the dam and set up house downstream. I had caddis hatches there in the evenings that had they been that thick up north I may never had made it home. :) Those gills on a 3wt were a lot of fun.

I have an 8'6" 3wt LL Bean from a long time ago and I think the blank was made by Loomis. Maybe Matt could confirm this...I love that rod as well but haven't fished it as much as I used to.

Anyway! Nice looking rod.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FalsiflyFebruary 28th, 2012, 10:13 pm
Hayward, WI.

Thanks!

You're welcome. By the way, from what I've seen that little gem is rare and worth a few bucks.

If Lee Wulff were alive today, he'd take on 20 lb. salmon with that little guy.:)

Kurt, given the chance so would I and you and you and you........Except Paul.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
EntomanFebruary 28th, 2012, 10:15 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! How true, Al.:).... Except for Paul.
PaulRobertsFebruary 28th, 2012, 11:39 pm
Colorado

Sorry...gotta be contrary... I would NOT want to catch a 20lb salmon, or 20# anything, on that rod. Now a healthy 11" male brookie in 54F water is another story.

Hey Lee Wulff caught a 10# salmon without a rod once -flyline sans rod. Remember that?
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.