User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New to Tying, seeking guidance., Page 2

PaulRobertsDecember 9th, 2010, 7:14 pm
Colorado

"Plus, that's what I'm fishing now anyway!!"
Perfect!

Try to tie at least half a dozen in a sitting. Each one will get better.

Oh yes, what thread are you using for the midges. You may already know but use different thread diameters for diff hook sizes. Leave space for the head!
MartinlfDecember 9th, 2010, 10:32 pm
Palmyra PA

Hmmm, I'm late to this thread. A few comments. I think I'm one of those hungry browns that Spence mentions: see my recent question in the "Caddis Pupa Question" thread. Also, I'm very, very fond of my teardrop hackle pliers. I'd guess everyone has a favorite pair, and I'm relatively sure that we could fill a long series of posts just arguing and extolling the virtues of the hackle pliers that work best for each of us (can I resist starting the thread), but I'd urge any beginner to get one of these inexpensive, but very functional tools. Make sure the jaws are tapered and that they meet evenly when closed. Yes, they will break a hackle faster than some versions, but with the right touch they at least don't slip--something I hate when wrapping that final turn on a bug that has already taken too long to tie.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
KeystonerDecember 23rd, 2010, 7:54 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Ok, some first impressions, having tied 25 or so midges...

Quality seems to be hit and miss. I'll tie a real nice one, and then the next three will be sub-par. Ironically, I think the very first one I tied is still one of the best ones to date.
I have been having a little trouble getting the wire tied in at the top to my aesthetic satisfaction, and the half hitches are still a challenge. I am kind of relying on head cement to fill the gaps (no pun intended) in my finishing techniques. Overall it's going pretty well, and I believe I'll try to expand to Pheasant Tails in the near future.

Paul- To answer your question, I am using 8/0 thread currently. Along with size 18 hooks, 3/32 beads, and the smallest gauge ultra wire I could find.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
KeystonerDecember 24th, 2010, 10:17 am
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Made it out this morning, and nabbed three lovelies on midges that I tied!! Happy Christmas to me, and all the rest o' you guys!!!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.