User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 2nd annual fly swap, Page 2

GrannomDecember 14th, 2008, 4:05 pm
Northwest PA

I'm in, will decide what fly shortly.

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
LittleJDecember 14th, 2008, 4:21 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Still got 4 spots!

1-jeff (Littlej)-?
2-Casey (Caseyp)- bloody butchers
3-Louis (Martinlf)-bwo emerger
4-Scott (Trtklr)-?
5-shawn (Shawnny3)-?
6-artie (Al514)-curly's
7-mike (grannom)-"grannom's" grannom caddis
8-?
9-?
10-?
11-?
12-?

GrannomDecember 15th, 2008, 4:39 pm
Northwest PA

In the spirit of my screen name and anticipation for the first awesome hatch of the year, I'll go with a Grannom dry of mine. It is a a mix of some of the most popular caddis dries around. Call it what you like: possibly Grannom's Grannom.
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
MartinlfDecember 15th, 2008, 9:35 pm
Palmyra PA

Glad to hear that! I'm always ready for a good Grannom pattern, and one tied by "Grannom" has to be a winner!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GrannomDecember 16th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Northwest PA

Ha, Martinlf, don't count on it... :) ...I'm only kidding, they will be good! And better yet, they catch fish.

Mike

-John Gierach
Sirhoops23December 17th, 2008, 7:19 am
Bolivar, MO

I would love to be in on the fly swap. i haven't posted in a while so i would need all the details.. the online swap i was a part of just stopped so i would love to be a part of this one if i could. just let me know what we are tying, due date and shipping instructions. look forward to it.
His
jj
JJ
Sirhoops23December 17th, 2008, 7:35 am
Bolivar, MO

Sorry I should have read page one before posting. I saw most of the details so i am good on that. just let me know the date. also being my first time and it looking like besides dewitt i am the only midwesterner i would love some ideas on flies that would be good to tie. i know what catches fish here in MO and i grew up in Colorado so i know western flies. so just give me some feed back so i don't tie a bunch of flies that will be un-useable. Here are some of the ideas i have for tying, fox's arkansas scud,RS2, or the cone head combo. if anyone wants to give input let me know
JJ
LittleJDecember 17th, 2008, 8:57 am
Hollidaysburg Pa

welcome aboard Jarod, as far as what to tie goes, any of the flies you mentioned look good to me. I think we all realize that what we are being sent is a "pattern" and we can adjust colors/size to match the streams we fish. I personally would like to see what works on your streams.
Date?..... I'm thinking if we fill up by the 1st, setting the date around the first week of february. Is 1 month enough time for everyone or do we need more. It doesn't matter to me.

1-jeff (Littlej)-?
4-Scott (Trtklr)-shimmer nymph
5-shawn (Shawnny3)-?
6-artie (Al514)-curly's
8-Jarod (Sirhoops23)- ?
9-?
10-?
11-?
12-?
JOHNWDecember 20th, 2008, 4:35 pm
Chambersburg, PA

I think I'm in however I'm not sure what to tie.
My gut instinct was for a streaer pattern I "discovered" this summer that big meat eaters can't seem to resist, however the theme seems to have eliminated that option so I'll have to ponder it for a couple days. I'm starting to lean toward a cricket variant I tie provided the rules don't prohibit terrestrials.
Let me know what you think!

JW
P.S. Merry Happy Joyus Kwanzhannicamas
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GrannomDecember 20th, 2008, 5:40 pm
Northwest PA

"provided the rules don't prohibit terrestrials"

Not sure if that was meant to be a joke, but I thought it was hilarious. I see no need for the swap to prohibit streamers as it is, and would love for you to tie the streamer that you were talking about. Then again, I'm in my youth and have little reguard for "tradition" in the "Dry or Die" respect.

If nobody else is interested in your streamer, I would be glad to tie a few extra flies of my own in exchange for a few of your streamers. Just let me know.

Mike

-John Gierach
LittleJDecember 20th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

john, fire away w/ your streamer. I've been on a streamer kick this year and would love to see it.(so long as there are no other objections, which i doubt there would be) I'm not even quite sure why I offered up a theme, I guess because it seems the customary thing to do on internet swaps. Frankly I just want to see patterns that catch fish! If I have never seen it before it's that much better. By the way, the J browns were quite fond of your sulpher parachute this year.

1-jeff (Littlej)- extended body cdc caddis
5-shawn (Shawnny3)-john silver
6-artie (Al514)-curly's
8-Jarod (Sirhoops23)- ?
9-John (johnw)-streamer?
10-?
11-?
12-?
Shawnny3December 21st, 2008, 6:33 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Sounds like it should be a really good swap. I'm planning right now on contributing a pattern I developed called the John Silver. It (along with its counterpart, the Goldrush) have been my best summer flies when the water is low and a sporadic and nondescript evening hatch starts. They are probably my favorite flies because when I tie them on I have every confidence I'll catch fish. Hopefully I have the time to tie them up and you guys find them as effective as I do.

I'm also interested in getting feedback (even if it isn't until summer) on how they perform elsewhere. I've only ever fished them around here.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TrtklrDecember 21st, 2008, 7:43 am
Banned
Michigan

ya, I don't know, a streamer thats proven on big fish, I don't know if i would want something like that. I mean, that could mean a severe bend in my fly rod, and there may be a strain on my arm. something like that could result in perma-grin for an entire day, elation and down right happiness.

welcome to midwest sarcasm.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
MartinlfDecember 21st, 2008, 10:17 am
Palmyra PA

JW, I'll be glad to fish the streamer as well. You've seen most of my olive emergers, but I'm not sure that I had developed the variant that I'll tie when we last fished olives, so I think it'll be new for you as well.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJDecember 28th, 2008, 12:30 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Let's bump this back up one more time before we close it. I will p.m everyone my address on mon. the 29th. And we will set the date for feb. 7th as long as nobody has any problems making that date....... So last chance for anyone thinking about it to climb aboard.
jeff
JADDecember 29th, 2008, 7:53 am
Alexandria Pa

Hi Guys

You can count me in, I'll tie my Drake a (Sadleri). Jeff in particular will have to be careful, fishing the j can damage ones arm.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
LittleJDecember 29th, 2008, 12:49 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

Sounds good John! We'll call it closed at an even ten.

-jeff (Littlej)- extended body cdc caddis
5-shawn (Shawnny3)-john silver
6-artie (Al514)-curly's
8-Jarod (Sirhoops23)- ?
9-John (johnw)-streamer?
10-John (JAD)- Drake

GrannomDecember 29th, 2008, 12:53 pm
Northwest PA

Feb. 7th is good for me. I have just started tying them today, as I have had some extra time on my hands with Christmas break. Can't wait to see everyone else's flies. I plan on putting up some pictures soon so that everyone can see what to expect. It would be cool, if you guys are up to it, if you would put up some pictures of your own flies as you start tying. Or maybe you like a bit of a surprise instead...

Mike

-John Gierach
LittleJDecember 29th, 2008, 1:02 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

If anyone didn't get a P.M. from me let me know.
Jeff
Shawnny3December 31st, 2008, 6:41 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

How much would you like us to include for postage, Jeff?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Page:12345

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.