Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Caddis ID Q?

GreenghostFebruary 20th, 2009, 9:51 pm
New Brunswick

I'm hoping somebody can tell me what I'm dealing with here and possibly a proven imitation?Sorry,no pics,but I'll it describe best I can.

I beleive this caddis is some type of green sedge,but I can't find a pic of an adult to verify this,nor have I found a pattern that IMHO represents it very accurately?The entire bug is a beautiful bright,light green..more like lime or chartreuse,including the wings.Early June,midday,Southwestern New Brunswick,Canada.I've searched through hundreds of green caddis patterns on every flytying forum I can think of,and not a single green caddis imitation I've found has matching green wings like these naturals?Is this a standard practice to ignore the wing color?I'm sure natural colored elk/deer hair works as well,but it seems to me "matching the hatch" more accurately would only make sense?I'm not too bad at tying trout streamers and salmon flies sz 10 and larger,but I'm still a very amateur tier,esp. when it comes to sz 14 and smaller.I did manage to tie a reasonable imitation(basic elkhair caddis) with green dyed deer hair,and even lifted a few nice brookies with them.(patting self on back,LOL)

My questions are:
1)Is this a caddis unique to my area which might explain why I can't find any published imitation or do all/most green sedges also have green wings?
2)Or...is it common to ignore the wing color and tie it with natural colored elk?
3)Should I simply order a bunch of green elkhair caddis flies from a reputable tier or spend the rest of winter practicing tying the small stuff?

TaxonFebruary 21st, 2009, 9:38 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Greenghost-

You don't actually say what size it it, but if it's #16-#18, my guess would be Brachycentrus appalachia.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GreenghostFebruary 21st, 2009, 10:02 pm
New Brunswick

I'd call it sz 14-16?Maybe 18?
GreenghostFebruary 22nd, 2009, 11:28 am
New Brunswick

Thanks Taxon,looked up Brachycentrus appalachia pics,sorry no,that's not it at all.The bug I'm describing is totally green,abdomen,wings,thorax,head....all of it.Legs too iirc?Kawasaki/Arctic Cat lime green.
TaxonFebruary 22nd, 2009, 4:05 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Greenghost-

Sorry, but that was my best guess.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZOApril 18th, 2009, 11:17 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Greenghost,

Your description doesn't seem to match any caddisfly that I know (especially the green wing part), but it does sound exactly like the little chloroperlid stoneflies of Alloperla. These are commonly called Little Green Stoneflies or Lime Sallies and are often seen fluttering around riffled areas at midday in June. Compare to these images:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/117264/bgimage
http://bugguide.net/node/view/193103/bgimage

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.