Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > pet fur for flies

CaseyPSeptember 6th, 2008, 7:46 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

to avoid burial of this vital topic amongst the various genera of caddis (trans.--to avoid hijacking that other thread), here is an important topic all on its own.
Casey, those fine tined cat brushes take the loose underfur right out without trimming. You get dubbing and the feline gets fewer hairballs. :)

Louis, the cat has fur on his tummy that is the perfect texture for Hare's Ear Nymphs, but it's in spots: pale for the abdomen and dark for the thorax. to get those different colors, you have to cut. luckily this is a very patient cat. he thinks he is a dog, and he rolls over so you can pat his stomach...or snip a couple flies worth of fur.

now, for those emergers that are orange, the comb will work fine, since i'm after just one color on a different cat with an orange ruff. thanks for the tip!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
MartinlfSeptember 7th, 2008, 10:30 am
Palmyra PA

Hmm, tummy hair. Well we can't attempt that with our cats without drawing back a bloody stub, but I'm glad you have a cooperative source!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPSeptember 7th, 2008, 5:42 pm

when cat #6 passed away, aged 17, and it became plain that cat-less living was not good for our family, Best Fishing Buddy actually did some research. he found a breed known for more patience as well as playfulness: pixie bobs. also, they come spotted, and while this was not one of my criteria, it's proven very helpful.
Dr_BlueDunJanuary 29th, 2009, 6:29 am
Long Island NY

The most important thing about using either dog or cat under fur for dubbing is that they get sopping when wet. Of course if you have to up your medical insurance when combing your cat, you might really consider antron as a viable alternate. I used to use the under fur from my Welsh Pembroke Corgi, but I also sprayed it with an water proofing. Now my Maine Coon Cat---Toddy---isn't jumpy about having his fur combed, cause he's my best pal---but frankly I like the modern fibres mixed with the natural furs. I usually spin up my own colors in a coffee grinder.
"Doc"
CaseyPJanuary 29th, 2009, 10:45 am

ahah! Dr., sir, you have confirmed what others led me to believe: my Tang Tummy Gold Ribbed nymphs are very effective because they sink like little rocks, and the sodden dubbing can be relied on to wave in the water if my attempts at dead drifting result in the usual mixture of twitches and mends. the guard hairs in TT dubbing are like hare's ear, very spikey, so maybe that works like antron.
GoofusBugJanuary 29th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Posts: 31Our rabbit has a steel grey pelt. I have been known to brush him to get fur for tying the body for a grizzly partridge soft hackle.
JZordMarch 5th, 2009, 12:46 pm
New York

what about a persian? a white persian
CaseyPMarch 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Justin, good buddy, we need to trade. i have a fly that needs long white fur and rabbit just won't quite work for me. whaddayasay?
WbranchMarch 7th, 2009, 8:28 am
York & Starlight PA

PETA is going to be made aware of any fly tiers who extract fur or feathers from the bodies of living cats, dogs, birds, and whatever other mammals you can think of.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PatcrisciMarch 7th, 2009, 4:15 pm
Lagrangeville, NY

Hey guys, don't pick on your pets. PETA will get you. There's always roadkill!

When I was first dating my wife, I pulled this stunt on her.

We were driving along a quiet stretch of county road when I spotted a roadkilled woodchuck. It's fiery brown pelt and mottled guard hairs bristled in the noonday sun. I mashed the brake pedal and jumped out. I had a habit of carrying a pair of gloves, a plastic garbage bag, a pair of garden shears and a knife, which I pulled from the trunk.

As my then girlfriend stared in disbelief, I picked up and inspected the chuck. It was fresh and the pelt was in fine condition. I tossed it in the bag and when I got home dressed, skinned, stretched, and tacked the pelt to a board. I salted it and let it dry. Then I combed it out and gave it a quick shampoo.

I'm still tying flies with that chuck skin today and still married to the same gal, too!
Pat Crisci
WbranchMarch 8th, 2009, 10:53 am
York & Starlight PA

"still married to the same gal, too!"

Now that is a surprise! I would of thought after that episode she would have run the other way.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PatcrisciMarch 9th, 2009, 8:29 am
Lagrangeville, NY

WB, what can I say? I got the roadkill and the girl. I guess some guys have all the luck.
Pat Crisci
DitchJuly 8th, 2010, 7:09 am
Fuquay-Varina NC

any body have any need for black to brown gray dog hair german shepard mix with LOTS of hair that we find all over the house no need to brush when i brush i have made some super basic nymphs(yes they do sink like rocks

phil
There are no bad fishing days.
VinlflyfishJuly 9th, 2010, 10:22 am
northern cambria

stupid peta
trout; a mans best friend
ShantiJuly 11th, 2010, 4:17 pm
Sweden

If you have a Border Collie dog, brush it!
And dub it onto dry fly hooks sizes 12-16, to a cigar shape. Use yellow tying thread and finish with a neat little head.
Do not use floatant or sink mud.

One of my favourite stillwater patterns, fished very slowly.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
Jmd123July 11th, 2010, 9:36 pm
Oscoda, MI

Cali-cat sheds mostly white fluffy stuff. Hmmm, I suppose there's some good White Wulff dubbing there...but then I would have to call my flies White Cougars or something else feline...I must admit I have wondered what shed whiskers could be used for - very long, white, and stiff. Any suggestions?? Crayfish antennae????

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
ShantiJuly 12th, 2010, 3:42 am
Sweden

Cats whiskers are best used by the cat itself. They grow on the cat for a reason, and fishing flies is not it.
CaseyPJuly 12th, 2010, 10:47 am

tcha! Shanti, shed means it has fallen off the animal naturally. we would never pull the cat's whiskers out. we would lose our fingers and make a mess on the carpet!

our cats leave them around the place and my little collection has been waiting for a use. antennae! what a wonderful idea! thank you, Jonathon.
ShantiJuly 12th, 2010, 12:14 pm
Sweden

I´m really sorry I read it in a hurry. My fault.

Me no good speaky english..
CaseyPJuly 12th, 2010, 4:05 pm

well, it has to be better than my Swedish...;-)
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.