Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > chironomids-East versus West

The Specimen

Stictochironomus Midge AdultStictochironomus  Midge Adult View 11 PicturesThis midge and several like it, including a female I also photographed, hatched from larvae which were living in some fine mud I'm using as substrate in my bug-rearing aquarium.
Collected April 10, 2007 from Mystery Creek #62 in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on April 10, 2007

The Discussion

JoecMarch 21st, 2008, 11:54 am
portsmouth, nh

Spring can't arrive soon enough...after ice-out streamer fishing and before the high water levels on moving water venues become more reasonable, I love to fish chironomid imitations in ponds. In ponds containing few forage fish, this begins before the ice goes out entirely. My question is simple: why are chironomid species in the East so much smaller than out West? I have fished the Kamloops area of BC which is, of course, world renown for huge (size and quantity)chironomid hatches and the difference is unbelievable. I suspect it has to do with lack of fertility in my home waters, still or otherwise. Can anyone help?
TaxonMarch 21st, 2008, 12:59 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Joe-

There are ~189 genera and ~1233 species of family Chironomidae in North America. My belief is, the extremely large chironomid species referred to as "Bombers" in British Columbia are not present in eastern North America. Of course, this begs the question, why not? And, although I really don't know for certain, I would speculate that, the unique combination of geology and climate they require is simply not found in the East.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
SayfuAugust 12th, 2012, 5:06 pm
Bombers? I had the notion they were called "buzzers", but my memory is terrible. Anyway, I find them in a wide range of sizes out here in Idaho. Biguns, and very small ones in lakes . And the colors of pupa that anglers have success with during a days fishing is quite mind boggling. One guy in a float tube tells me he landed 26 on a #18 bright red pupa the week before. I went home and tied up lots of bright little red ones, and went back and got skunked. Some days they are touting purple ones. Wish I could keep it simple.
TaxonAugust 12th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jere-

Chironomid pupae range from under 1/8" to over 1 inch in length; the nickname "bomber" refers to the larger pupae. Phillip Rowley, BC & AB author of Fly Patterns for Stillwaters: A study of Trout, Entomology and Tying, page 11.

I believe "buzzers" to be the common name used in England for Chironomids (members of family Chironomidae).
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.