Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > NC Cream Adult Chironomid help :)

CouxJoeNovember 4th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Greenville, SC

I was fishing a stream in the Carolinas over the weekend when a hatch of cream colored adult Chironomids began to swarm around like snowflakes. After asking some people around what they were I was told that they were cream midges.
I am interested in tying larval and pupal stages of this insect, but don't know what they are called in order to image search them. Could someone suggest a name or two for these cream colored chironomids? When the wind blew it really looked like snow fall or wood ash flying around. I apologize for being so vague, and I thank you for any help you may suggest in a name for these "cream midges".
sorry no pics, my camera is to old capture them. Thanks again for any suggestions!
TaxonNovember 4th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

CouxJoe-

There are aproximately 2,000 species of Chironomids (members of family Chironomidae) in N. America, and perhaps 50-100 species represented in the average body of water. If you are attempting to find representative photos, I would recommend BugGuide - Family Chironomidae (Midges).

However, Chironomids are extremely difficult to reliably identify even to genus, let alone to species, except by taxonomists who specialize in them. So, you may need to be content with continuing to refer to your hatch as cream colored adult Chironomids.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CouxJoeNovember 5th, 2007, 1:35 pm
Greenville, SC

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
FalsiflyNovember 6th, 2007, 10:20 am
Hayward, WI.

CouxJoe,
Sorry I can’t help you with a name but I do have a suggestion. Purchase a small seine some small vials and some bug balmer. Capture some specimens and tie to imitate. I have been doing this for years and I love it. You may want to refer to “ Midge Magic” by Don Holbrook & Ed Koch an excellent reference for the midge fisher.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CrenoJune 21st, 2012, 8:17 pm
Grants Pass, OR

falsifly - we just had a little discussion on preservatives. Is "bug balmer" another technical product I should know about? Or perhaps gin or another alcoholic beverage I may not like? I hope it is not port!
creno
FalsiflyJune 22nd, 2012, 1:57 pm
Hayward, WI.

Here you go Dave,

Or perhaps gin or another alcoholic beverage I may not like?

Jack says he's offended.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.