Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The KISS Principle, Page 2

GeneOctober 26th, 2007, 1:03 pm

Just remember a few things about Ernie Schwiebert. First he was there for the Golden Age of Fly Fishing. I'm talking about my friends Charlie Fox and the crew as well as Gingrich, McClane, Kreh and all the guys we read about in fly fishing history. His book Matching the Hatch basically put people onto something that really was in its infancy before then: a more scientific way of looking at fly fishing and catching trout.

Ernie never said you needed precise imitations to match things all of the time. If you read his books you will find this out. And finally Ernie fished more places and on more great streams and with more great people famous and nonfamous than we can probably dream about. Whenever I talked to him I was always impressed with his concern for the environment, with fly fishing and with the history of fly fishing. He never sold out! I consider him one of the finest fly fisherman and innovators in the art the world has ever seen. I know that some people in the fly fishing world were jealous of him but it never soured Ernie. He never spoke harshley about other fly anglers and writers.

I knew Charlie Fox pretty well (thus my article on him: Reflections with Charlie Fox) and I can tell you that Charlie Fox had the utmost respect and adoration for him. I can remember Ernie coming to Charlie Fox's Funeral and how Ernie told me that these were the greatest times when he fished the Cumberland Valley that he probably had in fly fishing when he had fished with Charlie Fox, Ross Trimmer and the crew.

Not to plug any of my sites but there are two articles on Charlie and Ernie at www.flyfisher.com for fly anglers who would like a little more background on these two.

Ernie was great guy and the fly fishing world is empty without him.

Tight lines and dancing nymphs
and drink beer or shot or two for Ernie and Charlie

because they would have wanted it that way!

gene
www.flyfisher.com
FalsiflyOctober 26th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Hayward, WI.

Gene:
Very well put. Thanks.
I would like to propose a toast. To all who have contributed to the passion.

Bumps!
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GrannomOctober 26th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Northwest PA

Ernie's latest book looks magnificent. The Nymphs: Volume One The Mayflies. If I just happen to find $60 in my wallet I would buy it for sure. I found out that it would still be published from an article in the Summer issue of Fly Tier. The article talked about Ernie, and contained exerpts from the book. It looks like it holds a wealth of infromation, and it is huge!
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
LamOctober 26th, 2007, 4:30 pm
Lancaster, PA

A huge Schwiebert book????? Who would have thought?
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.