Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Fishing the brine of Florida's Atlantic Coast

Jjlyon01February 23rd, 2009, 7:25 am
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

So my grandmother hooked me up with a sweet spring break trip. Although I'd much rather be standing chest deep in the frigid waters of New York's beloved Salmon River in my leaky waders slinging tiny nymphs with my 9 weight Orvis rod and maybe catching 1 or 2 insanely smart steelhead per trip, I will be soon standing waist deep in 65ish degree waters stripping big streamers in hopes of catching a strongly stupid warmwater fish.

I will be in or around the Boynton Beach area, south of Palm Beach, from March 5th to the 14th. I really do not have much information to go on except the 1 saltwater book, Flyrodding the Coast. So if anyone knows more than me, which is probably any and all of you, please please bestow your knowledge upon me. If you will be in this area, or in the South Florida vicinity at all during these dates, let me know and I will most likely be willing to drive to meet you. I will have a vehicle so if you don't I can transport you as well as me. I will let you all know how I make out while I'm down there.
"I now walk into the wild"
MartinlfFebruary 23rd, 2009, 10:29 am
Palmyra PA

Having just showed up and after arrival tried to find out about fly fishing in the area on a couple of business trips where I had an afternoon free, I'd recommend that you locate and contact several fly shops well ahead of time and make some specific plans even if you don't hear from a tropical troutnut. You'll want to maximize your time there, and trying to find maps, gear, and information in a hurry can be frustrating. My experiences fishing saltwater have been exhilerating. I don't know if you can find Peacock Bass (a brackish or fresh-water fish) but some places in Florida have them, and they are a blast by all accounts I've read, so take some poppers. If you can afford it, the best way to stack your odds is, of course, to hire a guide. Even a half-day will give you access to someone with a lot of information. If he or she sets you up for other solo trips and works hard to put you on to fish, don't forget the tip. I'll be fishing olives during spring break, my favorite hatch, but I'd join you if I had the cash. Have a great trip!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.