Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Where are the fishing stories? Rough weather conditions?

Jmd123May 22nd, 2022, 11:06 am
Oscoda, MI

It's nearing the end of May, Hendrickson season here in MI, and I am not seeing many fishing stories...I know, "Hey Jonathon, where's YOURS?" Well, I'm here in the 'burbs, there is a local trout stream but we keep getting RAIN...the lake is swarming with aggressive, colorful, spawning panfish which will take almost any small fly with abandon, as in my latest post (been adding pics to that story).

ANYBODY else getting out? Or are your conditions messed up with spring weather too? Just curious, as we are well into the season...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RogueratMay 22nd, 2022, 11:48 am
not sure what's going on in other parts of MI but the topwater bite on the Rogue and Muskegon is doggo lately...no Mays seen and some Caddis here and there. That and WIND every day I've been on-stream, like last Monday's 35 mph gusts that blew casts here, there, and all over except where I was casting. The hookups that landed a fish are on wets (soft hackles). I've got a 7 day vacation coming in a couple weeks and hope to be on the Upper Manistee and the various branches of the Au Sable, the latter something I've waited for a loong time. Hoping for the best on that one,

Roguerat

'Less is more....'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Jmd123May 22nd, 2022, 12:14 pm
Oscoda, MI

Yeah, WINDS...seems our MI springs are mighty windy these days, makes flyrodding with a 5-wt. or lighter NO FUN...the lake is wide open so wind keeps me outta there, lest I hook some poor pedestrian walking behind me!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PartsmanMay 23rd, 2022, 4:20 am
bancroft michigan

Yes for sure the weather has been a factor for me. I was up north last week for two days, there were lots of caddis, some sulfurs and other may flies. Again it was windy but did warm up. I got one nice brown on a streamer about noon and then later in the day a decent brown and several smaller fish swinging a sulphur soft hackle. I literally fished all day and saw maybe a half dozen small splashy rises going after caddis. Two weeks ago the air was filled Hendrickson spinners all hovering slightly overhead, this was in the middle of the day, then the wind really picked up and that was that. Again thank goodness for soft hackles, I did manage a couple of nice fish swinging Hendrickson soft patterns. I’m going up in the morning so hopefully the weather isn’t to weird! I’m going to try and get in as much fishing as I can before my surgery, but I have to admit gas prices and weather are starting to impact the fun factor, oh well that’s the way it goes. I hope everyone else is having some better luck than me.
Take care, Mike.
Jmd123May 23rd, 2022, 11:59 am
Oscoda, MI

Mike, your Henny story reminds me of a situation I encountered with my fishing buddies Joe & Todd...the Mill Pond in Harrisville, despite looking filled with weeds & algae, is full of trout, stocked & otherwise, posted a few stories on here previously...well, we found trout leaping to a midge hatch which we could not reach by casting from shore...so 1 day we hauled the kayak & canoe out there, got in position with midge imitations...& the wind kicked up, midges blown away, fish quit feeding...

We ARE at the mercy of the weather...not like winter when you can hide in a shanty...

Best of luck & tight lines (& calmer winds!) to all!

Jonathon
TroutnutMay 24th, 2022, 9:46 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Here in the Seattle area, there's not much to do at this time of year except collect bugs. The mountain streams are high and cold from snowmelt. The lowland streams, draining catchments where the snow has already melted, are closed until Saturday. The Yakima two hours east can be hot, but it's hard to fish right now without a boat, and I don't have time for a full-day float trip.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
TechfishMay 28th, 2022, 12:59 am
usa

What do I need to fish Lake Erie?
Fishing Tips
WbranchMay 29th, 2022, 11:15 am
York & Starlight PA

Techfish,

What do I need to fish Lake Erie?

Your question is too vague. What do you want to fish for, are you fishing from a boat or shore? Do you want to fly fish or spin fish? Flies, lures, or live bait?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.