Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A watercolor of mine, Page 2

Softhackle has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shawnny3September 7th, 2007, 1:57 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Sounds like it was great, Jason. Any fishing accomplished?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutSeptember 7th, 2007, 2:04 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I caught some grayling, but the catching wasn't great. The fishing was.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
LamSeptember 7th, 2007, 2:38 pm
Lancaster, PA

Softhackle,

Have you fished the Genny in the potter county area, just north of coudersport? I fished it last winter, my son was hunting deer around Gold/Genesee area with my brother-in-law. I decided to try the Genny for the first time in about 25 years. I got into some hold over rainbows and a few browns. The stream is pretty small in that area and there are a few branches of it that come together to form the main stream.
KonchuSeptember 7th, 2007, 6:34 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

When i was there in '99, we experienced the last part of an Ephoron hatch that was memorable. What hatches have others experienced or fished on the Genesee?
SofthackleSeptember 7th, 2007, 8:02 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

LAM,
I've never fished the Genesee in PA, but know well where they are. I believe there are three branches, east, west and middle. They come together in the very small town of Genesee PA to form the main river which travels into NY. The fishing from PA into NY is very good, especially in the Shongo, NY area, but the NO KILL starts at the bridge in Shongo, traveling north 2.5 miles. There's some very nice water there, but be cautious, there are Timber Rattlers around in PA In Potter County.

Konchu,
My experience with the hatches are good. We have a very good Ephemerella dorothea hatch the end of May. We have NO Quill Gordon hatch that I'm aware of, but good olive (Baetis) hatches in the spring. Also some really good Isonychia hatches if the water doesn't get too low and warm in the later season. The Genny is plagued by low water and warm temps. Despite this we have a very good hold over rate, and as I said earlier, the river is open to fishing all year long for trout. The tribs close down at the end of the regular season, which is now October 15. The limit is 5 trout per day on the river with only two fish out of the five allowed over 12", but since I fly fish, that doesn't really matter much.

I have lived in Wellsville 26 years and fished and loved this river emensely. In 1999, I along with a friend, helped start the Upper Genesee River Chapter of TU. We are a small chapter, but we keep a close eye on the river.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.