Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > John Gierach and Bob White - 100 Columns in FR&R

BobwhiteMay 17th, 2008, 5:43 pm

John Gierach and I will be celebrating our 100th column together in the next issue of FR&R (july/October, 2008) 16 years and 100 columns!

We've created a retrospective of the 100 paintings that's pretty cool. For the first time anyone (including me) can see all 100 paintings, from March of 1992 until now, in one place, at one time. To view the just released painting for the 100th column, and all of the others, go to < />www.whitefishstudio.com and click on "Paintings for John Gierach's column in FR&R".

I hope you'll enjoy them!
Bob White
TaxonMay 17th, 2008, 6:18 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Bob-

Congratulations on your 100th collaborative article. John is very lucky to have your wonderful paintings to illustrate his articles. Of course, he ain't no slouch, either.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BobwhiteMay 17th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Thank you for the kind message. I illustrated John's column for almost ten years before we met and became friends.

I've spent time with a lot of fishing "celebrities" over the years, and generally they leave me disappointed. John is not one of those. He's exactly the guy who tells you his story at the end of every issue of FR&R. He's the real deal, and I'm honored to paint for him.

I always wanted to do a painting of John fishing his favorite water... and was determined to do so for the 100th column. It's a long story... but it finally happened, and it's one of my best. I hope that you enjoy it.

Warmly,
Bob White
Troutbum_46May 20th, 2008, 8:17 pm
Goshen,IN

Hello Bob & Everyone,

I got that issue today in the mail,Wow great paintings Bob!! Its a pleasure to meet you. I have been reading Johns column for a while and a few of his books.I will have to check out you web sight.

Keep up the great work!!!
BobwhiteMay 22nd, 2008, 9:42 am

My wife, Lisa , suggested that we construct the 100 Painting Retrospective so that viewers could see all 100 paintings at one time, in one place.

It's kind of scary to have work that's 16 years old for folks to look at and compare with the more recent paintings... but then, some of the older work still looks good.

Thanks again,
Warmly,
Bob White
GONZOMay 22nd, 2008, 10:16 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

All of your work looks good to me, Bob. As someone who dabbles in watercolor, I'm a longtime admirer of your illustration. Congrats on your 100th!

Shawnny3May 22nd, 2008, 4:25 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

It's kind of scary to have work that's 16 years old for folks to look at and compare with the more recent paintings...

Then again, it would be much worse if your work never improved and no one could see the progression of your talents. And, for better or for worse, your average Joe probably wouldn't notice the difference, anyway. It's probably more important that you see the progression than anyone else, and I'm sure you know every triumphant stroke and every flaw in each of your paintings.

I had never seen your work before you posted on here, Bob, and I'm glad you did. You are a very talented person, with that unmistakable sense of outdoor sports that only comes from many years immersed in them. Your ability to capture the essence of these pursuits is undoubtedly what endears your work to those of us who share your love of them.

I haven't had time to look at too many of your pieces, but I will certainly be spending some time on your site in the near future, trying to appreciate them as best I can in miniature on my computer screen. Perhaps someday I'll get to see them in person at a show or something.

Thanks for sharing your work with us, and congratulations on your recent achievement.

-Shawn

P.S. By the way, I have a good friend who shares your name. Already an active hunter, I recently took him flyfishing for the first time (all the flies having been tied from fur and feathers he'd given me). He'll be glad to know he's already a famous flyfishing painter. A pretty precocious start for him...
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
BobwhiteJune 8th, 2008, 6:03 pm
Posts: 4Thank you for the warm reception. I deeply appreciate your kind reviews.

Most sincerely,
Bob White

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.