Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > West branch Octoraro creek Pa.

Hunter1June 14th, 2020, 12:36 pm
Maryland

Hi, I fished the west branch of octoraro creek last month, didn't do to bad, few small trout. Creek is new to me. I think it's a stocked stream. How long can you fish the creek before Temps get to high. Thanks.
MartinlfJune 16th, 2020, 8:59 am
Palmyra PA

I'm not sure; it's a bit too far for me to drive for stocked fish, but I've read about it. It's probably best to take a stream thermometer and check. Anything above 68 degrees would be approaching too hot.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Hunter1June 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm
Maryland

Thanks. Thats what I usauly do.
Jmd123June 16th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Oscoda, MI

As Louis says, trout get stressed as temps approach 70 F. Browns can handle a bit warmer, rainbows need it cold, and brookies need it REALLY cold. They will get sluggish at these temps anyway and not bite much, but if you do get them on in warm water it stresses the hell out of them. When I wet wade and the water no longer feels nice and cool, it's time to stop fishing for a while. Or, go for warmwaters! Smallies or a bass/panfish pond, they like it warm! 75 F and it's a feeding frenzy.

Tight lines!

Jonathon

P.S. Now in a pond situation...my little [REDACTED] Pond brookie hole gets as warm as you would expect a pond to get in summer. Then how the heck do the brookies survive? Up into the spring-fed feeder creek they go, and/or sit right on the bottom in a frigidly cold layer or even in the springs themselves (have seen it snorkeling, Frisbee-sized saucer-shaped depressions on the bottom with c-c-c-cold water coming out at you). Of course, the top waters are much warmer, so the brookies dash up madly through the warm stuff to absolutely SMASH anything on the surface (caddisflies, hoppers, MY flies!) with a big old splash! Makes for very dramatic hits... ;oD
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfJune 16th, 2020, 1:24 pm
Palmyra PA

I checked Keystone Fly Fishing and the authors said it tends to warm up in late June. It depends also on water levels, and, of course, the air temperature. Lower water tends to warm quicker. Glad to hear you are careful; some of those fish may hold over. Tight lines!

--Fred Chappell
Hunter1June 17th, 2020, 3:14 am
Maryland

Thanks guys, I was figuring of giving the creek a rest till fall. I did fish the Gunpowder in MD yesterday, caught 2 in the collage pool. Everything was great. Tight lines.
MartinlfJune 22nd, 2020, 5:24 am
Palmyra PA

Sounds like a good idea. I'm probably going to rest Penns Creek until fall myself. Glad to year you had some luck on the Gunpowder. I hope to fish it some day.

--Fred Chappell
Hunter1June 22nd, 2020, 11:39 am
Maryland

Martin, The GP is a real great river to fly fish. You really have to give it a shot. Tight lines.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.