Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Trout Unlimited, who are they?

Red_green_hFebruary 18th, 2020, 11:57 am
New Mexico

Keep getting stuff in the mail about joining. Are these guys a political organization in disguise. I really don't want to make this discussion about politics nor do I give a rat's rip about anybody's political affiliation. I just want to know if this organization is legitimately dedicated to trout habitat conservation or do they only spend pennies on the dollar from membership dues for conservation efforts and contribute to political candidates who say they are about conservation? If anybody is s member and can give me any info that would be great.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
WbranchFebruary 18th, 2020, 12:30 pm
York & Starlight PA

They say they do a lot for wild trout. As far as I know they have no interest in streams stocked with hatchery trout. I fish some large wild trout streams in the Catskills and in the 55 years I have fished them I can't remember a single thing they did on those rivers. Maybe though those waters are just too big to benefit from stream re-habs. There are hundreds of local chapters and some of them get involved in all sorts of stream clean-ups, building wing dams to deflect the current and create better fish holding areas. Do some independent investigation and make up your own mind.

I was a member forty years ago. I don't fish any local waters in PA that might have clubs associated with a specific stream so I have no interest. I live in PA and our fish commission does a lot to improve streams.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RleePFebruary 18th, 2020, 5:12 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

TU is legitimate. They are the world's largest organization dedicated exclusively to cold water fisheries conservation and enhancement. They are involved in every facet of their chosen organizational focus, from chapter level stream improvement to lobbying at the state and Federal levels for laws and regulations that benefit cold water fisheries. They employ biologists, grass roots organizers, hydrologists and just about any other occupation you could name that has some bearing on trout and salmon fisheries. They do youth education in all 50 states on the importance of clean water and free flowing streams. They conceived and operate the award winning Trout In The Classroom Program which has taken TU into the schools from coast to coast

Unlike NRA and Sierra, TU does not have a separately organized political action arm. As such, they are constrained by the non-profit section of the IRS Code from making political contributions or endorsements. They cannot by law endorse a candidate or contribute to one. I think if you look it up, they actually, among non-profits of their type, have one of the higher percentages of their revenues going directly to work directly related to their mission.

Folks sometimes complain about TU for this or that reason. That's understandable. Three people can barely ride a bus across town without two of them ganging up on the other in some way. Why should it be any different for 80,000-plus TU members in this country?

They are the best organization of their kind in existence and are very worthy of your support, IMO, even if all you ever do is simply maintain a membership. I think everybody who cares about wild trout should belong to TU and I cannot see why they wouldn't. That may make me a little militant, but there it is nonetheless..

WbranchFebruary 18th, 2020, 8:58 pm
York & Starlight PA

Rleep wrote;

I think everybody who cares about wild trout should belong to TU and I cannot see why they wouldn't. That may make me a little militant, but there it is nonetheless..

I'd be very curious to have a poll to see how many present Troutnut contributors and non-contributing viewers who are dues paying TU members. I am not a member. As I mentioned I was a member for quite a few years. My lack of interest is probably due in large part to ignorance of what they do. Rleep's post is very informative.

CrenoFebruary 19th, 2020, 10:02 am
Grants Pass, OR

I am currently a TU life member and joined in the 70's. While TU has national and regional offices, and lobbies for the conservation, protection and restoration of North America's coldwater fisheries and their watersheds, their local emphasis is based within local chapters. TU originated in the eastern US and, while active throughout the rockies and parts east, is not very prevalent though out the cascades and sierra's. It all depends on the interests and efforts of the local club volunteers. If you have a chapter or two in your area you should attend some meetings to see what they are about Every local chapter is different.
WbranchFebruary 19th, 2020, 11:35 am
York & Starlight PA

Creno wrote;

If you have a chapter or two in your area you should attend some meetings to see what they are about Every local chapter is different.

There are a couple. However I don't fish any of the streams they monitor or are affiliated with. There are some guys who like to join clubs and become active in their projects and the camaraderie associated with a bunch of people with similar interests. I'm not one of those people. However I can and do share my extensive fly fishing and fly tying knowledge with anyone who cares to reach out to me.

That may make me a little selfish, but there it is nonetheless..
SwpabrownFebruary 25th, 2020, 5:42 am
PA

I belong to my local chapter they are very involved here in my part of pa, and we do projects on state stocked streams here so throw out the wild trout only involvement, Although i prefer to target wild fish myself its all good bunch of great guys n gals in our chapter we do tying classes offered to the public stream projects etc , they are legit ant truly represent coldwater conservation
MartinlfFebruary 25th, 2020, 5:34 pm
Palmyra PA

I'm a TU member; they do a lot to support the health of streams and fish throughout the country.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LeskorcalaFebruary 26th, 2020, 10:53 am
Posts: 16Same here, As long time member local Montana TU chapter I see ton of improvements to our streams. In past Monatna streams were very polluted waters for many yaers during mines and in some parts still are , but TU is doing incredible job I know because we do volunteer with my wife, We work on back Restoration projects creating good riparian structure planting willows and cottonwoods to not only prevent erosion but to lower down summer temps , creating shade and structure to wild trout, its all good stuff and benefit both nature and anglers. Recent work we done is to assemble fish screens on some important tributaries where normally wetslope fingerlings would be lost and washed off to dikes which later dry out , what fish screen do is to allow filter water back to the irrigation ditch like and also young fish to escape down below trough specific pipe back in to the creek. great concept and we are now on the 2nd and 3rd assembly. TU also pulls dams out of the river so native and non native fish can get up the creeks and spawn.
MartinlfFebruary 26th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Palmyra PA

Interesting; I'm heading to Montana this summer, for the first time, planning to fish the Blackfoot, Missouri, Rock Creek, and the Beaverhead or Big Hole. Thanks for your work!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
SwpabrownFebruary 27th, 2020, 5:17 am
PA

Just to add to the great volunteer work they do ,,check out all the 100s of miles of stream improvments they do on the driftless region in mn wi and ia thats alot of work and effort.. i think you be hard pressed to see any organization in trout conservation do as much as they do
PartsmanFebruary 27th, 2020, 10:06 am
bancroft michigan

Im just becoming active in my local chapter, its been fun, and im looking forward to volunteering for some local stream improvement work. We have had some wonderful speakers the last few meetings, and hopefully this is going to continue. Like anything it takes people, and everything is local! T.U. voluteers and members are what this all about.
Mike.
Billfish3rMarch 25th, 2020, 5:29 am
philly

I was a member forty years ago. I don't fish any local waters in PA that might have clubs associated with a specific stream so I have no interest. I live in PA and our fish commission does a lot to improve streams.

Agreed, I'm in PA too. There is a big list of streams on this article https://fishmasters.com/best-pennsylvania-trout-streams/
RollcastMarch 30th, 2020, 7:21 am
Cleveland, Tennessee

I have been a member of TU for about 25+ years. They are not a political organization but monitor legislature that affects the well-being of coldwater fisheries. TU is adamant about- Conserve, Protect, Restore. And, yes they do get involved with places that have stocked fish. Our local Hiwassee River is stocked due to conditions that prevent natural reproduction. The local chapter, Hiwassee 640, works with the TWRA and the USFS in keeping the river healthy for all anglers. Also, many local chapters offer free fly casting and fly tying lessons. Tight lines and screaming drags!
Creating with pictures and words.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.