Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > This One is for Matt

Oldredbarn has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
OldredbarnJanuary 24th, 2020, 2:09 pm
Novi, MI

I'm almost afraid to post this after the above mix up?!

Matt...This past November a friend of mine and I headed up to the Manistee. I have had nice steelhead on the line over the years and watched as they gave me a couple nice jumps and my fly went sailing and away the fish went.

When I hooked this one I knew it was a nice fish and remember saying to myself, "Please don't get off! Please don't get off"!

The second fish was my friends he caught just before lunch...In fact the guide was about to pull over for lunch, had started the grill and had a couple pieces of chicken on it for he and my friend.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PartsmanJanuary 24th, 2020, 6:26 pm
bancroft michigan

Beautiful fish, swinging streamers? Looks like a two hand rod in your picture, do spey cast? I liked to give that a try, maybe next fall.
Mike.
MartinlfJanuary 26th, 2020, 6:31 pm
Palmyra PA

Gorgeous fish; well done, Spence!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchJanuary 27th, 2020, 9:07 am
York & Starlight PA

Awesome fish Spence!! Good for you. The fish looks nice and bright. I bet it ran like a freight train. Did you catch it swinging or nymphing (or beading) under a bobber?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnJanuary 27th, 2020, 10:41 am
Novi, MI

Matt. How you been?!

Yes it was a fresh fish. We were on the Manistee between Lake Michigan and Wellston MI. It was a slow morning, but like I said my friend hooked his before lunch and mine wasn’t too far after lunch.

We were running bead eggs below an indicator. The only thing related to “fly fishing” was the rod and reel, and mending techniques to get a good float.

I think the line was a Spey line. The first half, as you laid it out, you mended and the last half was level line. You sort of just painted that on the water, for lack of a better word.

He fought like hell. I’ve only had salmon fight as hard. Every time he saw the boat or the net it would turn and act like it was heading back to Lake Michigan. Almost whipped my ass.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchJanuary 28th, 2020, 9:04 am
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

We were running bead eggs below an indicator

Ah, the infamous trout beads! They are like heroin once you get that first hit you just have to get another!

I first put one on about eight years ago and found they were so effective that it seemed pointless to go through the motions of tying on traditional steelhead flies and swinging them or drifting nymphs. Where we fish the bottoms are pure shale and getting snagged is a frequent occurrence. I got tired of losing a dozen or more flies a day. I'd say I use beads 80% of the time and the other 20% I swing a #8 Emerald shiner pattern that is quite effecive.
Jmd123February 4th, 2020, 8:41 am
Oscoda, MI

NIIIIICE Spence! Well done, beautiful fish!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchFebruary 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm
York & Starlight PA

Mike,

Did you get my email with the Paralep emerger pictures?

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.