Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Selecting a reel

AllanM83February 11th, 2019, 9:35 am
Austin, TX

Hi everyone,
I've been reading your folks forum for quite a while, but only now I feel I am ready get serious about fly fishing. Before, I used to go with my friends and used stuff I was given or something I rented. Now, I've got a rod by Fierce, and I need to find a nice reel for it. When I was researching the topic, these 2 seemed to be okay (based on the youtube and Amazon reviews):
Wright and McGill - https://www.amazon.com/Wright-McGill-667593-Dragon-WMEDFSLA56/dp/B004QHHB5K
Okuma - https://www.recreationid.com/okuma/okuma-slv-fly-reel-501265324.html
Now, before I go and buy one, I wanted to ask you please say, what do you think of these 2 and which one would be a better one for a newbie like I am?
Thanks!
AllanM83February 11th, 2019, 9:35 am
Austin, TX

ALso, forgot to mention, I am open to the alternatives, my budget is $100. Thank you!
RleePFebruary 11th, 2019, 10:05 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Between the two, I'd probably go with the Okuma. They're pretty durable and reliable.

Before you pull the trigger though, I'd take a look at the LL Bean Quest (comes in 3 sizes, pick the one that matches the line weight of your rod) and the LL Bean Pocket Water (only comes in one size for 5 weight lines and smaller). Both are currently on deep discount sale and well within your budget. More importantly, Beans has excellent customer service and stands behind their products. I've had a lot of their merchandise from rods to reels to waders and have never been disappointed.

Just a thought..
MartinlfFebruary 11th, 2019, 3:23 pm
Palmyra PA

I trust Lee's judgment and were I in the market for a reel, I'd take a good look at the LL Bean products. I'm using their waders now, having switched from Simms. (The Bean waders are roomier, easier to get on and off, and my experiences with their customer service is the same as Lee's.) I currently fish an Okuma Sierra for small streams on my lighter rods, and a Lamson Radius for bigger streams and rods. Neither reel is state of the art, but they work for me. I've had the Okuma reel about fifteen years. If you want some more options, you might check Sierra Trading post. They sometimes have good reels discounted. That's where I got my Lamsons, many years ago.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
IasgairFebruary 11th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Colorado

I have seen the Wright & McGill Dragon. Looks really nice for that price, but looks aint everything. As for it's performance, I have no clue.

Okuma has proven to be a good quality reel. And for $100 budget, you'll do fine with an Okuma.

I can't say personally about what the others say about LL Bean products, but from what I have heard, Martin and Lee are saying what others are saying. I have not heard one bad opinion about LL Bean. And I have heard a lot.
JawyellowbaFebruary 12th, 2019, 12:57 am
I have seen the Wright & McGill Dragon. Looks really nice for that price, but looks aint everything. As for it's performance, I have no clue.

Okuma has proven to be a good quality reel. And for $100 budget, you'll do fine with an Okuma.

I can't say personally about what the others say about LL Bean products, but from what I have heard, Martin and Lee are saying what others are saying. I have not heard one bad opinion about LL Bean. And I have heard a lot.

It'll work, but I'd rather just spend the extra 10-15 bucks and get the Penn Battle.

AllanM83February 12th, 2019, 1:02 am
Austin, TX

It'll work, but I'd rather just spend the extra 10-15 bucks and get the Penn Battle.

I trust Lee's judgment and were I in the market for a reel, I'd take a good look at the LL Bean products.

Thanks for mentioning them, man, I'll see what they've got. If no, I'll pick the reel by Okume then. I appreciate your help and am glad, that I posted my question here.
Cheers!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.