Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Selecting a reel

AllanM83February 11th, 2019, 9:35 am
Austin, TX

Hi everyone,
I've been reading your folks forum for quite a while, but only now I feel I am ready get serious about fly fishing. Before, I used to go with my friends and used stuff I was given or something I rented. Now, I've got a rod by Fierce, and I need to find a nice reel for it. When I was researching the topic, these 2 seemed to be okay (based on the youtube and Amazon reviews):
Wright and McGill - https://www.amazon.com/Wright-McGill-667593-Dragon-WMEDFSLA56/dp/B004QHHB5K
Okuma - https://www.recreationid.com/okuma/okuma-slv-fly-reel-501265324.html
Now, before I go and buy one, I wanted to ask you please say, what do you think of these 2 and which one would be a better one for a newbie like I am?
Thanks!
AllanM83February 11th, 2019, 9:35 am
Austin, TX

ALso, forgot to mention, I am open to the alternatives, my budget is $100. Thank you!
RleePFebruary 11th, 2019, 10:05 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Between the two, I'd probably go with the Okuma. They're pretty durable and reliable.

Before you pull the trigger though, I'd take a look at the LL Bean Quest (comes in 3 sizes, pick the one that matches the line weight of your rod) and the LL Bean Pocket Water (only comes in one size for 5 weight lines and smaller). Both are currently on deep discount sale and well within your budget. More importantly, Beans has excellent customer service and stands behind their products. I've had a lot of their merchandise from rods to reels to waders and have never been disappointed.

Just a thought..
MartinlfFebruary 11th, 2019, 3:23 pm
Palmyra PA

I trust Lee's judgment and were I in the market for a reel, I'd take a good look at the LL Bean products. I'm using their waders now, having switched from Simms. (The Bean waders are roomier, easier to get on and off, and my experiences with their customer service is the same as Lee's.) I currently fish an Okuma Sierra for small streams on my lighter rods, and a Lamson Radius for bigger streams and rods. Neither reel is state of the art, but they work for me. I've had the Okuma reel about fifteen years. If you want some more options, you might check Sierra Trading post. They sometimes have good reels discounted. That's where I got my Lamsons, many years ago.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
IasgairFebruary 11th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Colorado

I have seen the Wright & McGill Dragon. Looks really nice for that price, but looks aint everything. As for it's performance, I have no clue.

Okuma has proven to be a good quality reel. And for $100 budget, you'll do fine with an Okuma.

I can't say personally about what the others say about LL Bean products, but from what I have heard, Martin and Lee are saying what others are saying. I have not heard one bad opinion about LL Bean. And I have heard a lot.
JawyellowbaFebruary 12th, 2019, 12:57 am
I have seen the Wright & McGill Dragon. Looks really nice for that price, but looks aint everything. As for it's performance, I have no clue.

Okuma has proven to be a good quality reel. And for $100 budget, you'll do fine with an Okuma.

I can't say personally about what the others say about LL Bean products, but from what I have heard, Martin and Lee are saying what others are saying. I have not heard one bad opinion about LL Bean. And I have heard a lot.

It'll work, but I'd rather just spend the extra 10-15 bucks and get the Penn Battle.

Check my blog
AllanM83February 12th, 2019, 1:02 am
Austin, TX

It'll work, but I'd rather just spend the extra 10-15 bucks and get the Penn Battle.

I trust Lee's judgment and were I in the market for a reel, I'd take a good look at the LL Bean products.

Thanks for mentioning them, man, I'll see what they've got. If no, I'll pick the reel by Okume then. I appreciate your help and am glad, that I posted my question here.
Cheers!
PassivetuneFebruary 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm
Posts: 1A closed face reel could solve your problem I have Daiwa BG Spinning Reels
RogueratFebruary 18th, 2019, 7:49 am
late to the party but for what its worth,

I've been really impressed with the Lamson Liquid reels on my switch rods, the 3.5 was $99.00 for my Redington Dually 4 wt and the 4.0 was $ 129.00 for my Cabela's LSi 7 wt so at (or above) the top of your price point but these reels have some pedigree behind them.
I know the drag isn't needed all that much on trout-sized reels but the Lamsons have a well-deserved reputation for GOOD drag systems if its ever crucial...tying into something you weren't planning on.

just my $.02....

Spring Fever in full swing here, counting the days to The Opener!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
WbranchFebruary 18th, 2019, 3:28 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Passive,

A closed face reel could solve your problem I have Daiwa BG Spinning Reels

Normally a fly fisherman wouldn't be putting a closed face spinning reel on a fly rod. If he did then it really won't be fly fishing in the sense where you use the weight of the tapered fly line to propel you weightless fly to some spot you want to place it on the river.

I'm not saying I haven't seen a closed face spin reel on a fly rod because I have seen some guys fish worms, minnows, and grubs on a long fly rod and a spin reel. But this web site is pretty much dedicated to fly fishing with a fly rod, fly reel, a fly line, and flies. But you are more than welcome to stay and chat with us if you want to learn something about fly fishing or aquatic insects.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfFebruary 20th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Palmyra PA

Matt, that's an unusually kind response to a clueless comment. Cake for breakfast? Or perhaps you were being ironic.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchFebruary 21st, 2019, 3:27 am
York & Starlight PA

Hello Louis,

Matt, that's an unusually kind response to a clueless comment.

Well I'm practicing to be a moderator! No just kidding. I wanted to show my kind and gentle side to all you guys who consider me just one step removed from a Neanderthal regarding tactful comments.
Jmd123February 21st, 2019, 8:04 am
Oscoda, MI

"I wanted to show my kind and gentle side to all you guys who consider me just one step removed from a Neanderthal regarding tactful comments."

This is not what I think of you at all, Matt. I just know for a fact you don't suffer fools gladly. Neither do I!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PinfishingMarch 30th, 2020, 7:40 am
Posts: 1I spent a lot of hours trying different cheap fly reels and my personal best is MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch ECO. it is perfect for beginner anglers and price is very good compared to the quality.

As for Okuma it is also very good choice for novice
WbranchMarch 31st, 2020, 6:59 am
York & Starlight PA

Pinfishing wrote;

I spent a lot of hours trying different cheap fly reels and my personal best is MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch ECO. it is perfect for beginner anglers and price is very good compared to the quality.

As for Okuma it is also very good choice for novice

Thank you for this glowing comment on that reel. Per chance do you sell or distribute them?
PartsmanMarch 31st, 2020, 2:08 pm
bancroft michigan

Im just gonna ahead and be blunt here, yea a flyreel is basically a line holder, but I like nice made in America line holders, made by nice Americans! There are some nice line holders made over seas, just not in China! There are also many older line holders made in the usa or England, on ebay. My advice to real novice fly anglers is save up and by the nicest rod and reel you afford. You some brand names, okay, how about Ross reels made Colorodo, Galvan reels made California, nautilus reels made in florida, and there are more, all made by American, who actually fly fish and love it. Im glad I finally got this rant in, but jeez we have to start being smarter about the stuff we buy. I know there are many who disagree with my feelings, and god love it were a free country at least for now, but we have to take of our own.
Just my opinon.
Mike
MartinlfMarch 31st, 2020, 2:32 pm
Palmyra PA

And Lamson, Mike. My main reel is an old Lamson, and I'm partial to it.

--Fred Chappell
PartsmanMarch 31st, 2020, 3:34 pm
bancroft michigan

Yep, Martin, Lamsons are great reels! Just sitting here I thinking I forget Lamsons, Douglas argus, and Im sure others. Also there are some nice off shore reels, some are really nice, for instance Hardys, and the one reel I would really like to get for Cbarclay 4/5 weight glass rod a Kinyea, made in Japan. Please forgive my spelling, but so many choices. Im just a home boy, born and raised in Flint Michigan, and I have lived the decline of our manufacturing base. That will never come back, but im going support small business in my country!
Mike
WbranchMarch 31st, 2020, 3:55 pm
York & Starlight PA

Mike wrote;

Im just gonna ahead and be blunt here, yea a flyreel is basically a line holder,

And so is a bait casting reel and a spinning reel. I think what you might be saying is a fly reel doesn't need to be fancy or need a drag?

That might be fine for guys catching 8" - 16" trout and an occasional 18" fish but if you are regularly hooking 18" - 22" wild trout and steelhead in the 22" - 26" range you are going to want a fly reel that not only holds an adequate amount of fly line and backing but one with a drag that performs flawlessly and can slow down big fighting fish.

As Louis and Mike mentioned it is hard to go wrong with any of the Lamson reels. Even the lesser priced cast reels still have their famous sealed conical drag. I have the Litespeed 1.5 and the Speedster 1.5. Both great reels.
RogueratApril 1st, 2020, 3:27 am
Reels and cost, quality

Ditto- again- on Lamson reels; see a prior reply in this post re: Lamson's Liquid line of reels. I'm more than satisfied with these and would not hesitate to recommend Lamsons to any and all, even their cast-alum. products have the proven Lamson drag system as Matt so aptly stated.

my 2 cents, or now 4-cents?!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.