Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The more you know..

The Specimen

Simuliidae (Black Flies) Black Fly LarvaSimuliidae (Black Flies) True Fly Larva View 6 Pictures
Collected March 30, 2007 from Fall Creek in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on April 2, 2007

The Discussion

PhineartzJanuary 16th, 2019, 9:00 am
Posts: 1These are always abundant in my stream samples and have even found them wriggling around on my pack after a dunking.. I have always thought they were midge larvae as that is the common assumption I've gathered from local anglers, but due to their size and shape I started to question this. Scouring online resources and comparing photos led me here, where I see they are a different critter altogether. I have never heard of anglers discussing the use of Simuliidae patterns but I'm looking forward to experimenting with them in the future. Thank you for the photos and the resource! -Mike in KY
WbranchJanuary 16th, 2019, 7:11 pm
York & Starlight PA

Oh Simuliidae how do I hate thee? Hmm, let me count the ways. I loathe these incessantly pestering, harassing, and biting scourges of the insect world!! At my cabin I am plagued by these miniscule beasts from late April to early October. Over the years it seems to have gotten worse. Although maybe because 2018 was such a wet year there were just more of them. I believe they are multi generational over the course of the six months I use the cabin. Even the slightest amount outdoor exertion will bring out the attacking hordes. I have to wear a head net to cut the lawn or do any work. If I want to sit by the river to look for rising fish liberal applications of DEET are mandatory. Yet once I wade into the river and get 15' away from the bank they are no longer a problem.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123January 17th, 2019, 7:16 am
Oscoda, MI

The Pine River is loaded with them. Last time I took a class out there to sample we discovered that practically every stone bigger than 1" in diameter had a dozen of them clinging to it. Not to mention absolutely hordes of other inverts that came squirming out of the debris, caddisflies, mayflies, stoneflies, beetle larvae, midges, crustaceans, worms, sculpins, etc...TROUT FOOD!

But yes, they do SUCK when it comes to making me itch...Skin So Soft* keeps them at bay though, and you get nice soft skin as a bonus. ;oD

Jonathon

*I have used a knock-off made by CVS that worked just as well.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.