Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need some advice

NodakflyerJanuary 7th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Posts: 2Hey guys and gals. I'm somewhat new to fly fishing, had a rod in highschool and tied my own patterns and whatnot. I'm looking for a solid rod combo that I can get back in the groove with. Also planning a trip to Iceland in June.
WbranchJanuary 7th, 2019, 5:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

We need more data. What species are you planning on fishing for the most? Trout, bass, Atlantic salmon, sea trout? How long a rod would you like to have? For most freshwater fishing you really can't go wrong with a 8' 6" or 9" #6 fly rod. When you buy the reel I would suggest buying an extra spool and put a weight forward #5 on that spool so you can go one line size lighter with the #6 rod and use smaller dries and nymphs and get a lighter, less conspicuous, presentation with the lighter line.

Orvis makes a very nice combo called the "Encounter". It comes with a nice crisp action rod, a nice large arbor reel, line and backing. I saw a 9' #4 Encounter on Saturday at Bass Pro and it is a very nice backup rod, or a first rod, for a newcomer to fly fishing. It is a 4 piece rod and comes with a cloth sack and hard case. It was on sale for $135. It usually lists for $170.00.

Here is a link to that rod on the Orvis web site;

https://www.orvis.com/p/encounter-5-weight-9-fly-rod-outfit/8P43?item_code=8P435363&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-8P43-_-127748&msclkid=6d04337b1d5a1c78c5a96f4f1a0d76af&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Orvis_Shopping_PLA-US_Brand&utm_term=4577816662829550&utm_content=Fly%20Fishing%20TM
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
NodakflyerJanuary 8th, 2019, 8:33 am
Posts: 2Thanks for the reply. Mainly targeting pond stocked rainbows, panfish, and spring walleyes in the big lake. I had my doubts whether or not a #6 would be a suitable weight, but I would like around a 9 or so footer.
WbranchJanuary 8th, 2019, 11:18 am
York & Starlight PA

A #6 weight 9' modern fly rod is fine for all the species you have mentioned. If you plan of throwing larger streamers for walleyes you can buy an extra spool for the reel and buy a sink tip WF#7 line to give you better casting with less effort with larger streamers.
IasgairJanuary 21st, 2019, 7:06 am
Colorado

Somewhat new to fly fishing and already planning a trip to Iceland? You lucky man. Yeah, you're going to need that 6wt. there, that's for sure.
WbranchJanuary 21st, 2019, 9:59 am
York & Starlight PA

Hello Nodakflyer,

Mainly targeting pond stocked rainbows, panfish, and spring walleyes in the big lake.

I don't think the #6 line is really appropriate for casting from a boat or shore of Lake Erie for walleye. Also on the light side for OH & PA steelhead. I'd recommend a 9' #7 with an extra spool for the fly reel so you can use a floating line for the panfish and stocked trout and a sink tip for lake walleye.

Here is a nice Orvis combo 10' #7 with a reel and line. They are also offering a 9' 6" #6 which if you are a relatively skilled caster you could go up one line weight to a #7. Just open your loop up a bit.

https://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2nss&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=5978&subcat_id=7309

Nice outfits for $298. If you are willing to go up to the Recon line of rods I think you can get a 10' #7 with a reel and line and their 25 year warranty for around $700. I have a 9' #5 Recon and I love it. I think it is close to the quality of their flagship rods the Helios line.

I have the Hydros IV reel on my 10' #7 steelhead rod and it is a great looking reel with a powerful drag.

https://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=14S8&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=49052&subcat_id=49054
JawyellowbaFebruary 12th, 2019, 12:55 am
For $200 for a baitcasting combo, I would go with a Diawa Tatula CT reel off Ebay which will run around $90 new with shipping, and then either a St. Croix Mojo Bass casting rod ($130), or a Dobyn's Fury casting rod ($110). For the rod, for small ponds and some lake fishing I would probably go with a 7'ish Medium power, fast action, unless you're fishing a lot of really heavy cover and/or larger lures, in which case you might want to go up to Medium Heavy power. I use several CT's and both lines of rod and have had good luck with them.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.