Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Classical Music...

RogueratAugust 2nd, 2018, 11:18 am
Not sure where this belongs, But

I just listened to Franz Schubert's Quintet in A Major, 'Trout' and if any TN's are Classically inclined I'd recommend this as music to tie by.
I tend toward Classical, Delta Blues, Swing/Big Band, early Jazz, or Zydeco for background listening while at the vise and bench...

tight lines and good listening,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Jmd123August 2nd, 2018, 2:09 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hmmmmmm, the Musical Preferences of the Troutnut - could prove to be a very interesting study. My faves:

Grew up listening to classical - Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Debussy, Ravel, Aaron Copeland, Gustav Holst...LOTS of classical music. Played trumpet for 7 years in grade school, got good enough to do some Bach, probably my favorite (Brandenburg Concertos).

Fairly broad tastes right now but I gravitate to rock. My last concert: An Evening with King Crimson at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor, the day before last Thanksgiving. Three hours of mind-blowing progressive/jazz/classical/I don't know what, delivered by 8 of the world's best living musicians (none of whom are young, all with decades of music behind them), for the princely sum of...fifty bucks. FIFTY BUCKS??? THAT'S ALL??? Yep, biggest musical bargain of my entire life given to me by my favorite band - who played music going back to 1969. And, played it extremely well!

I have three favorite bands, and three favorite individual artists:

Bands - King Crimson, Roxy Music, and the Cocteau Twins.

Individual artists - David Bowie, Brian Eno, and Frank Zappa.

Now you all knows what vibrates my walls and rattles my windows.

Tight lines and good music!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PartsmanAugust 2nd, 2018, 3:17 pm
bancroft michigan

Im more of easy listening kind of guy, my favorites growing up were Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot, and Don Mclean. Also really liked Meatloaf and some of the 70s stuff. Some Grunge isn't to bad either. But I don't know how kids find any thing of this modern music.
WbranchAugust 2nd, 2018, 4:58 pm
York & Starlight PA

I like Jonathon prefer Classical music and growing up on Sunday's my Dad would get out the 78 LP's and we would sit in the living room listening to Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Vivaldi, and others. I am very partial to violin virtuoso's and highly skilled pianists.

The only other music I listen to is Rock & Roll from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I like them all but was very partial to Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney, Foreigner, Johnny Cash, and Bob Dylan. I remember when the CD craze hit and CD players seemed such a better way to hear really good sound that I not only bought a CD player but also a really good stereo receiver and two speakers, which by the way, I still own. They are big wooden boxed Advents with a separate 12" bass, 4" mid range, and 1" cone tweeter. They still provide fantastic musical clarity in a room with an eighteen foot cathedral ceiling. Later I bought a 100 watt per channel Pioneer digital receiver.

I joined the CD monthly music club called BMI and they would send me music catalogs based on the genre of music I had selected. I went over the top and wound up wound about 200 CD's and spending almost a heck of a lot of money.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TroutnutAugust 2nd, 2018, 8:16 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I don't listen to music very much when tying or driving; I prefer podcasts. But when I do, classical is high on the playlist. Half of that is just soundtracks from favorite movies and shows, though. The other half is mostly either Mozart or anything with a violin that takes a virtuoso to play.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
AdirmanAugust 3rd, 2018, 5:47 am
Monticello, NY

As my profile pic illustrates, I’m an 80’s metal head lol. My faves are Judas Priest, Queensryche, Black Sabbath, Dokken and of course WASP. Goin to the Priest Concert comin to Bethel next month, can’t wait !! 😁
Flyguide1August 3rd, 2018, 6:53 am
East Tn

I hear you Adirman george lynch is a genius. I'm an 80's wild child.
RogueratAugust 3rd, 2018, 6:58 am
Nostalgia thing here,

I have a place in my heart- and an ear for- Art Rock of the early '70s yet...bands such as Renaissance (Turn of the Cards album and the Mother Russia track), anything by Yes, The Strawbs (good, good band- give a listen to Hero and Heroine sometime!)...

And Swing and Big Band, I grew up with this since in his younger days my dad played string bass in The Knickerbocker Band, a local group that made occasional trips to Chicago to play some bigger venues.

FOND MEMORIES, ALL AROUND!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
BobbyHeadAugust 6th, 2018, 4:17 am
Tampa, Florida

Many great sounds from the past. Used to listen to them as well with my dad. Bless his soul.
AdirmanAugust 6th, 2018, 4:34 am
Monticello, NY

Flyguide 1,

You bet he is!! Saw him in Lynch Mob back in May 😁
IasgairAugust 6th, 2018, 6:54 pm
Colorado

It depends on my mood. At times when I just spend the entire evening, especially in winter, it's either Gordon Lightfoot or Don Williams with a glass or two of Scotch. It's these times I just take my time and destress.

But when I'm not taking my time and destressing, but tying for the next fishing trip, which is generally the next day, it's Bluegrass all the way. Alison Krauss & Union Station, Adam Steffey, Sam Bush, they all get my blood pumping.
RleePAugust 13th, 2018, 10:46 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Even though I'm mostly deaf, I'm pretty militant about music.. I was raised on Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, John Cash and Chet Atkins. When I came of age and found my own music, I ended up a hybrid of rock and country with strong opinions about it all...:) I rode the country rock explosion of the late 60's and early 70's from the latter period Byrds/Flying Burrito Bros/Gram Parsons through Pure Prairie League, Buffalo Springfield, some Stills and Young, Poco, Jackson Browne, JD Souther, Gene Clark, John Prine and early period Eagles (before they found Joe Walsh in a gutter somewhere and rehabilitated him and gave him a job...). The most notable exception to this general direction has been my ongoing appreciation of Becker/Fagen (Steely Dan).

I think:

- Today's so-called country music is terrible and largely remasticated Eagles. I blame Frey and Henley for this even though I was once a serious fan.

- There has been very little, if any really new good music produced since about 1982.

- All the same, I like pretty much all kinds of music to a greater or lesser extent. Well, except rap, metal rock and umm, just about everything else since 1982. Oh, jazz is growing on me lately. We'll see how it goes.

There, I'm done....:)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.