General RegionAdirondacks
Specific LocationNorthern region
Time of Day10-4
Fish CaughtBrook trout, chub

Details and Discussion

AdirmanJune 23rd, 2018, 2:21 pm
Monticello, NY

Hey guys,

So I went to my old spot up in the Adirondacks my grandfather used to take me to for a day of brook trout fishing . Armed with my 7’ 3 wt and a box of attractor dries , 5 x tippet and classic wets , I went at it from about 10 -4 . My technique was drifting my dry with a classic wet attached on a 4” dropper. All told, I scored 19 Brooke’s and 30 Chubs for a grand total of 49 fish. What I noticed was most effective was dapping the dry on. The surface and raising the wet up to the surface , similar to the Leisenring lift at the end of the drift . Fish were leaping out of the water to get the wet and sometimes even the dry even when inches above the water surface!! Of the 19 trout caught, 16 took the wet and 3 the dry whereas for the Chubs the reverse seemed to be true. I caught far more Chubs in the dry than the wet . It was a wonderful day and a great experience 😊
PartsmanJune 23rd, 2018, 4:30 pm
bancroft michigan

Thanks for sharing your experience, it may be time to hit smaller streams here, Im wondering were you casting upstream and letting your rig drift back to you or across and down? I just find myself casting up so much I don't if I could do anything different on a small stream. As far as the dropper 4 inches tied from the bend of dryfly hook? I just started fishing nymph droppers this year a different experience for sure.

thanks, Mike
WbranchJune 23rd, 2018, 5:16 pm
York & Starlight PA

It sounds like a wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane! I wish you could post some pictures if you took any.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AdirmanJune 27th, 2018, 2:27 pm
Monticello, NY

Sorry Partsman, forgot to respond to you till now 😔

Well, I casted upstream first and then down and across and/ or downstream on my way back so I used both presentation directions.

Yes, about 4 inches depending upon the water depth of course. This particular stream is fairly shallow so I like it riding high and tight; however, in deeper spots I would probably use 6 up to even around 12 inches in length. I wouldn’t use beaded nymphs though because I they’ll drag your dry under which sort of defeats the purpose and intent of the rig lol
Jmd123June 28th, 2018, 8:41 am
Oscoda, MI

How big were your brookies running? Okay, how big were the chubs too? I did once tag a nice 10" hornyhead chub on a nymph down in Missouri while trying for rainbows. Put up a pretty good fight too!

Show us some pics!! I want to see your colorful brookies.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.