Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Brechmorhoga naiad

Millcreek has attached these 5 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.4X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.4X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.3X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
MillcreekNovember 11th, 2017, 3:18 pm
Healdsburg, CA

These are found in the Russian River in shallow to moderate depths of water with a good flow. They are usually found February through April. The naiads are about 16 - 20 mm in length at maturity.
Jmd123November 12th, 2017, 7:28 am
Oscoda, MI

Beautiful creature. But if I were small, I wouldn't want to meet one of those on a dark night under a lily pad...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MillcreekNovember 12th, 2017, 7:59 am
Healdsburg, CA

Beautiful creature. But if I were small, I wouldn't want to meet one of those on a dark night under a lily pad...

I wouldn't want to either. Minding your own business, then that labium shoots out and you're gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOpWKyM_go
MillcreekNovember 20th, 2017, 12:22 pm
Healdsburg, CA

deleted edit.
Jmd123November 21st, 2017, 2:50 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hmmm...looks like someone was uninvited to our site. Having only read the post about the "stink bug you freaking idiots", I could tell he didn't belong here - and not only because he apparently doesn't know (expletive deleted) about insects.

The coolest dragonfly nymphs I have seen recently were a bunch of leaf-green ones with light stripes down their sides, and fairly slender bodies, taken from some emergent grass in shallow water from [REDACTED] Pond. Sadly, their color didn't last in 70% ethanol. Are there other green dragonflies out there I don't know about? These were the first and only ones I've ever seen. Perhaps next season I'll grab a few for a photo and put them up ion here for our "bugnuts" to identify.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CrenoNovember 22nd, 2017, 2:58 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Here is a reference for immature odonate coloration. Dragonflies Behavior and Ecology of the Odonata Philip S. Corbet, 1999, Comstock Publishing Associates,
Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.

It indicates that the immatures can change color to match habitat but it is a slow process occurring at the molts.

I suspect camouflage is important for lots of reasons for all insects. I doubt any insect coloration changes occur as fast as we see in things like the octopus videos. totally different structural and nervous systems.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.