Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Big Pine Tree

Wbranch has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
Preparing to climb
Preparing to climb
Trimming another tree
Trimming another tree
One quarter of the way up - See the crack in the middle of the trunk?? It was huge and the tree could of split at any moment and more than likely fallen in the river.  Then it would of been my responsibility to get it out.  The river is just 20' to the right of the split tree.  There would of been about 120' of huge pine tree and branches in the WB of the Delaware.
One quarter of the way up - See the crack in the middle of the trunk?? It was huge and the tree could of split at any moment and more than likely fallen in the river. Then it would of been my responsibility to get it out. The river is just 20' to the right of the split tree. There would of been about 120' of huge pine tree and branches in the WB of the Delaware.
View Full SizeView Full Size (6.5X larger)
Jonathon, here is one of my big pine trees. Actually it might be just a little bigger than yours.
Jonathon, here is one of my big pine trees. Actually it might be just a little bigger than yours.
WbranchSeptember 19th, 2017, 2:19 am
York & Starlight PA

Jonathon,

I found a couple of pictures of the tree I had taken down. I don't know why I didn't take any more pictures. One picture is the climber thinning out branches on a tree near the other tree so when he sawed off the upper branches of the pine and dropped them they wouldn't get hung up in the branches of the smaller tree. On branches away from my cabin he just sawed them and let them drop but on branches on the cabin side he tied a rope around them first and after sawing them he lowered them to the ground with the rope.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RogueratSeptember 19th, 2017, 12:58 pm
Matt,

neat stuff, great pics!

I was on one of my old favorite streams a while back and found 2 newly fallen 'sweepers' had totally altered the flow and bottom on a nice stretch...holes, sandbars, really changed it up and made wading pretty sketchy in places. Your pine would have messed things up on the WB of the Delaware, no doubt!
sidebar, my future son-in-law is a climber and trimmer which is really impressive to watch- Lance has shot hard-hat videos from way up there and even the movie version cranks up my vertigo. A hard, dangerous job and not for the reckless or foolhardy.

Slow, slow fishing here in SW MI; I was on the Rogue a week back and had to decipher a multiple-plus match the hatch. Light Cahills, Hydropsyche, small BWO's and Trico's all here and there and hard to match what was being taken.

One Rainbow landed, had to work hard for that one.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Jmd123September 21st, 2017, 12:23 pm
Oscoda, MI

I love big trees! I lived in OR for a year and went to as many old-growth forests as I could find, all the way from Portland to the Redwoods. Sitka spruce was my personal favorite, big buttressed bases flaring out to huge along the rivers and streams. We do still have a few nice big pines here and there, and this stand along the Pine River is magnificent.

Jonathon

P.S. Taking the class out for our Clark's Marsh field trip today. With a head cold...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.