Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Lost my Brodin net - Ugh!

WbranchApril 21st, 2017, 3:59 pm
York & Starlight PA

I fished Penns Creek today at the Special Regs area, I was fishing the pool at the end of the road coming up from Weikert where there is that brown cabin right in front of that long pool. I was taking my rain jacket off and saw my net stretch cord had gotten tangled up with my wading staff lanyard. I'm not really sure what happened but I was kneeling right at the water's edge with my back facing the river. I think the net came off the split ring and floated away without me seeing it. I'm just sick about it. I stopped at the fly shop in Weikert as I was leaving and told Bruce Fisher to be on the look out for it if it is returned to the shop. Reward for getting it back to me if found. My net looks just like this one except it doesn't have the mother of pearl measure marks in the handle.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfApril 21st, 2017, 5:54 pm
Palmyra PA

Sorry to hear, Matt. I'm sure if someone turns it in to Bruce you'll get it back. It happens sometimes. How were the bugs and fish? PM me?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FalsiflyApril 22nd, 2017, 4:50 am
Hayward, WI.

To do this well you need a man sized net, not one of those silly girlie nets with a ten inch hoop.

Anyone care to guess the author of this quote?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
PaulRobertsApril 22nd, 2017, 8:19 am
Colorado

Bummer. I have a couple of Clint Byrnes nets I'd hate to lose. Lost one for a short while once, but back-tracked and found it.

To do this well you need a man sized net, not one of those silly girlie nets with a ten inch hoop.

Dunno who. But my favorite net of late is 10"x4". Always made my steelheading more challenging. Or my brookie fishing feel more like steelheading.
WbranchApril 22nd, 2017, 9:55 am
York & Starlight PA

Went on to Ebay this morning and found a Brodin Gallatin for $85. They typically aren't discounted and cost $120. I figured the chance of getting mine back are no better than 1000:1 so I clicked "Buy". The net will arrive on May 01. I have four other wooden trout nets and don't know why I took that net with me yesterday. Because it is so big, 24.5" long, I use it only in Montana or on the Delaware. I blame Orvis for the whole problem because their "Encounter" rain jacket didn't have a D ring attached to the center back to place your net.
WbranchApril 22nd, 2017, 10:06 am
York & Starlight PA

Double post.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.