Report at a Glance

General RegionWestern MD
Time of DayMorning
Fish CaughtBrook/Brown
Conditions & HatchesCaddis, Crane Flies, Midges

Details and Discussion

GrannomJuly 13th, 2008, 5:03 pm
Northwest PA

I fished for a few hours this morning to wrap up a visit to the DC area(used to be home). I am now back in PA, but my thoughts remain at Big Hunting Creek in MD. I approached the first pool from downstream and immediatly began casting to holding fish. This was my first time on the small, clear stream, and little did I know, these Native fish are spooky. I was amazed at the numbers of fish here, 30-40 fish in this particular pool. Needless to say, I blew it after missing 3 strikes and putting down the entire pool of fish. I hopped in the car and headed upstream. Here I found a nice pool and hooked one fish on a big #10 Adams. I said they're spooky, I never said they were picky.

After a few more casts, this pool was done. I then decide that I have been gone long enough from the first pool for the fish to be working again. I head back to the pool with a new plan. I walk along the path about 100 yrds. downstream of the pool and cross. I then walk until I am at the tail of the pool. Here I crouch behind a big boulder and watch the fish. After a minute I notice that most of the fish are woking the left bank feeding under an overhanging bush. These fish are taking beetles and ants. I wait for the fish to get going and lay down a few casts to the middle, with the intentions of moving each cast an inch or two further left than the last. I get hung up in a tree behind me a few times, but eventually it all comes together. I manage a few nice Brook Trout on the #10 Adams.

The action tapers off as these Native fish begin to catch on. On my way out, I hit up a deep plung pool where I raise a nice Brown Trout to my Adams

I can't think of a better way to leave town. My first trip on Big Hunting was both humbling and rewarding.
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
CaseyPJuly 13th, 2008, 5:31 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

thanks for a wonderful report. someone totally misinformed us about what lived there a couple of years ago, so we never even saw a fish! now we will able to plan better. Gorgeous fish, BTW.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
GrannomJuly 13th, 2008, 5:37 pm
Northwest PA

Send me a PM if you ever consider going there. You guys have some incredible trout fishing in your area.
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Shawnny3July 14th, 2008, 5:33 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Gorgeous fish. Congratulations on your success!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.