Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Nets

GreglindseyJanuary 2nd, 2014, 5:52 pm
Corry. PA

I am looking for a new standard trout net that I can use in competition. If anyone has any suggestions please share.

Thanks
CrepuscularJanuary 3rd, 2014, 10:08 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Since I have never fished competitively, are there special restrictions? Brodin is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. I have heard good things about the new Fishpond nets though.
Feathers5January 3rd, 2014, 10:43 am
Kschaefer3January 3rd, 2014, 10:52 am
St. Paul, MN

I had been eyeing a Nomad net for quite some time. I finally got one after they were bought by Fishpond. They are incredibly lightweight carbon fiber nets. The hoop is 18"x13" and they use the ghost rubber netting. There are TONS of reviews on them online, so I suggest you check those out. I haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but I already like it better than my old wood net.
FalsiflyJanuary 3rd, 2014, 11:49 am
Hayward, WI.

I didn't know there was a net competition.

There is always a competition when using a net, it is a test of one's skill or ability to get the fish into the net.
I too gave up the net long ago; tiring of the back-stabbing brush-snagging culprit. And where the net could have been beneficial, the damn thing was too small. I agree with Wbranch when he says,
To do this well you need a man sized net, not one of those silly girlie nets with a ten inch hoop.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GreglindseyJanuary 3rd, 2014, 4:26 pm
Corry. PA

Well first you have to hook the fish on you fly rod then you have to net the fish. After the fish is in the net you have to take it to the person who will measure the fish. So I'm not looking for a man sized net. But one that is big enough that I can net fish quickly.
OldredbarnJanuary 3rd, 2014, 7:00 pm
Novi, MI

I agree with Kyle above that you will want something light weight and the rubber style net has become popular. I have old wooden nets with the "Measure It" catch and release netting...When I purchased a replacement net last year, the guy who runs "Measure It" nets tried to talk me in to one of the rubber ones and I should of listened. I mostly fish one fly at a time, but out west this past summer I discovered that if you do fish more than one fly, the fly not in the fish invariably gets tangled in the mesh. This will slow you down. I debarb my hooks and even with the little nubbin that's left I have had to cut the tippet and leave the damn fly imbedded in the mesh.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GreglindseyJanuary 3rd, 2014, 8:13 pm
Corry. PA

I was looking at the "Frabill Competition Trout Net" but I am not sure what size to get. If you have any suggestion please share.
LastchanceJanuary 4th, 2014, 12:57 pm
Portage, PA

http://frabill.com/landing-nets/trout-nets/3605.html

Before all of you animal rights advocates started complaining I used a regular nylon net and never killed a fish.

Now, I use the rubber coated one above. It works fine for me, but I guess it's probably no good because it doesn't cost enough money.
EntomanJanuary 5th, 2014, 8:18 am
Northern CA & ID

Nets are a pain in the butt. Always snagging brush and my flies. Ever been hit between the shoulder blades by one? Teamed with barbed hooks, nylon nets are why many fish in our pressured streams look like MMA veterans. I love the way they swing around and pop you in the mouth with well aged fish slime every time you bend over to look at a bug. Forget the net and use your off hand... Besides, the price is right Bruce!

I do like Tenkara nets. They are unobtrusive stuck in your wading belt and are very gentle on fish. Its hoop angle allows you to stick the handle in the crotch of your knee or wader belt so you can handle the fish with both hands. Besides, when I have one of those with me I don't need to carry a bug net. He He.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJanuary 5th, 2014, 10:11 pm
Novi, MI

Nice points Kurt.

I once did some very serious brush busting to get to the river only to realize I'd lost my net somewhere along the way. I had to back track to find it hanging in a pine I had crashed through.

After this I bought one of those magnets with a long stretchy cord attached...When they get caught don't turn around, duck! :)

Then there was the time on the Madison in 1995 and I heard a horrible snapping noise when I sat down on the bank.

Finally...I was trespassing in a locale that I hadn't visited in a while, got off the trail, and tangled the dangling mesh in a barbed wire fence. It was summer, it was dark, I was sweating badly...I cut it free with my scissors.

Yes! Nets are a pain in the butt! :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Al514January 6th, 2014, 7:30 am
Central New York

What is with the hate for nets?!

I can think of multiple fish I would have lost if I didn't have a net with me!

Do whatever you feel is best.
TNEALJanuary 6th, 2014, 8:56 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Perfecting the "long line release" totally eliminates the need for nets.
Feathers5January 6th, 2014, 9:39 am
Posts: 287I love my net. It enables me to land a fish and take pictures of it.
Kschaefer3January 6th, 2014, 9:53 am
St. Paul, MN

Perfecting the "long line release" totally eliminates the need for nets.

I should just return my Nomad then. I'm pretty good at long line releases. :)
CrepuscularJanuary 6th, 2014, 3:10 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I love my net. It enables me to land a fish and take pictures of it.

This should read, "I love Eric's net. It enables him to land a fish for me and take pictures of me with said fish." ;)

hehehehe
GreglindseyJanuary 6th, 2014, 4:38 pm
Corry. PA

That's the thing you have to net the fish in competition because you are not allowed to touch the fish. Your controller will measure and release it.
Jmd123January 6th, 2014, 5:51 pm
Oscoda, MI

Here's my personal favorite:

http://www.themeasurenet.com/

Not too fancy or expensive (of course coming from this budget fly-fisher), nice soft mesh, and you can measure the fish without even touching it! And replace the basket if it gets worn out. It's the one you see in all of my fish pictures. Just my 2 cents.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnJanuary 6th, 2014, 6:17 pm
Novi, MI

I love my net. It enables me to land a fish and take pictures of it.

...and then you fall in! :)

Spence

LastchanceJanuary 6th, 2014, 6:21 pm
Portage, PA

I don't fall in, Spence. That's all part of my technique.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.