Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Pale Watery Dun

FlytyerinpaDecember 15th, 2016, 12:25 pm
Pottsville Pa

Just got my first Pale Watery Dun neck, but it occurred to me I don't have any patterns for that color, can anybody suggest any patters that use that color ?
OldredbarnDecember 16th, 2016, 8:02 am
Novi, MI

Just got my first Pale Watery Dun neck, but it occurred to me I don't have any patterns for that color, can anybody suggest any patters that use that color ?

Don't really want to sound like a smart-ass, but how about the Pale Watery Dun? :)

Lighter dun is a great shade for sulphers. Think of the E invaria and the E dorothea...We have inherited a great many fly fishing terms from Great Britian and I think the "pale watery" or "pale-evening dun" may have originated over on the other side of the pond.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pale+watery+dun&view=detailv2&&id=7FB9ECDFACA3E523B79858EAD3C22C57D3801F63&selectedIndex=0&ccid=9jqTh8Vf&simid=608014826029321101&thid=OIP.Mf63a9387c55f6134b556f7f1ef2afbaco0&ajaxhist=0

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularDecember 18th, 2016, 5:55 am
Boiling Springs, PA

is it a whiting cape? If it is, that is a pretty light color. I have one too. I use mine for spinner wings mostly.

Hendrickson spinner:

FlytyerinpaDecember 18th, 2016, 7:37 am
Pottsville Pa

HI Oldredbarn,
No offence taken at your reply, the only time I even heard of Pale Morning Dun was a few years ago a guy showed me a fly and asked if I knew what kind of hackle was on the fly. When he told me I thought he was pulling my leg, till I saw that one for sale.
FlytyerinpaDecember 18th, 2016, 7:39 am
Pottsville Pa

Hi Crepuscular,
Great looking fly, and thanks for your reply I'll have to remember that. What kind of body is that ?
WbranchDecember 18th, 2016, 8:59 am
York & Starlight PA

Eric, lovely fly. Looks like a goose biot body and a fur thorax. I counter wrap the biot with either XF gold wire or 8/0 Uni rust thread to protect the fragile biot from the trout's teeth. Without the rib the biot often breaks on the first fish.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123December 18th, 2016, 10:20 am
Oscoda, MI

Yes Eric, very nice spinner pattern. Are you still flyfishing at this time of year? I'm planning on getting out the tip-ups in the next couple of days...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CrepuscularDecember 18th, 2016, 6:05 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Hi Crepuscular,
Great looking fly, and thanks for your reply I'll have to remember that. What kind of body is that ?

Eric, lovely fly. Looks like a goose biot body and a fur thorax.

Thanks Matt and Ed. That's very kind of you to say. Abdomen is Hends Body Quills. I like biots but like you pointed out Matt, they are fragile. The Hends material is pretty nice. Much more durable and very easy to tie with.

Jonathan, yes I'm still fishing when it's not too cold. Some olives and sulphurs around on the nicer days. Here's one from one of my recent forays. enough olives that day to get the fish looking up. I was christening a new rod (Tim Zietak 6'3" #4 Paul Young Midge clone). Whenever I get a new rod I take it to the most famous of my local limestoners to try and impart some good juju into the new stick.

Eric

Jmd123December 19th, 2016, 11:25 am
Oscoda, MI

You lucky dog! Nice rod and pretty fish! It's 19F outside right now and I'm thinking much more of x/c skiing and ice fishing than throwing flies. I haven't seen any winter hatching activity on the Rifle the few times I have been out there in winter, but there are always the lake-run browns and steelies...if it actually gets warm enough to think about putting on waders! I'm sure your spring-fed waters help in that regard...tight lines when you can get out!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123December 19th, 2016, 1:41 pm
Oscoda, MI

BTW nice flies too, Matt. Does the little blob at the end of the abdomen represent an egg sac?

Jonathon
WbranchDecember 20th, 2016, 5:38 am
York & Starlight PA

Yes, female Hendrickson spinners have yellow egg sacks. Does it matter? Who knows but I enjoy adding it on some of my spinners.
WbranchDecember 20th, 2016, 5:39 am
York & Starlight PA

Eric, Cute little brown trout. I caught an even smaller one on the Gunpowder in MD.
OldredbarnDecember 21st, 2016, 5:41 pm
Novi, MI

Very nice looking Henny spinners there Matt!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchDecember 21st, 2016, 7:09 pm
York & Starlight PA

Thanks Spence!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.