Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > where to go?, Page 2

PsyflyAugust 10th, 2007, 8:49 pm
Wellsville, NY

A lot of great info has been shared in this thread. I have a lot to consider, thanks. Too much water too little time!
"If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm,quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaac Walton
www.tierneysflies.com
JOHNWAugust 13th, 2007, 8:04 pm
Chambersburg, PA

A lot of great info has been shared in this thread. I have a lot to consider, thanks. Too much water too little time!

Now that is Good Problem to have!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
TroutnutAugust 13th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Too much water too little time!

Now that is Good Problem to have!

If you think that's bad in PA, try moving to Alaska!!!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3August 14th, 2007, 8:15 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Jason, I don't expect you to come back until you've fished every mile of it. And it would be nice if you tried to get skunked from time to time, too, for our sakes.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
LamAugust 24th, 2007, 1:24 pm
Lancaster, PA

If you are around Harrisburg, try Clark's Creek. Loaded with fish and the stream is fed by a bottom release dam. Bring some green weenies.
LamAugust 25th, 2007, 8:01 pm
Lancaster, PA

Update on Clark's:

I went there for 2 hours today and caught 1 brown. Nice red spots, etc. but only about 9". The water was low, shich surprised me since it's a bottom release dam-fed stream. I assume the release is restricted because it is Harrisburg's water supply and we haven't been getting much rain. The bottom line is that the water is low but still cool. VERY clear, easy to spook conditions.
WbranchAugust 26th, 2007, 1:59 pm
York & Starlight PA

I went to Clark's Creek on 08/13 and it was very low and much stealth was required. I used 7X all day and a little soft hackle wet fly that I tied up a few years ago that always works well for me there. It is very simple and here is the recipe:

Hook - Tiemco 3761 #20
Thread - 8/0 Brown uni
Tail - 3 - 5 Woodduck fibers
Abdomen - Two twisted strands from a mottled turkey wing
Rib - XFine gold wire
Thorax - Fine brown beaver (no guard hair)
Collar - Dark dun hen hackle 1 - 2 turns

I fish this fly blind or to rising fish. I angle the cast downstream but usually not straight but to the left or right of the fish dependent on how the current will carry the fly. I like to overshoot the cast a foot or so and then begin a slow hand twist retrieve. since the fish are rarely over 13" I don't break off many fish when they strike. I took five fish on it on the 13th including two wild browns and two stocked fish about 12".

I never use a rod longer than 6' 6" and shorter is even better as it is so easy to get hung up in the trees. I fished from the pool shown in the picture down to where the path comes down to the creek, about 200 yards. It was nice because no one was in front of me to bitch up the water.

I'd go again but there is so little water and so few fish it is not worth the cost of the gas fifty miles back and forth.

If anyone wants to go for smallmouth bass on the Susky above the Juniata during week let me know via PM. I have a jet bass boat and wouldn't mind some company. I did ok at a spot near a ferry crossing two weeks ago and there is a spot at Clemson Island that is good too but you need to be on the water at daybreak. At Clemson I wade fish as there is no ramp to put my boat in there. I ususally am able to go Tuesday through Thursday.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
LamAugust 26th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Lancaster, PA

I think I was on Clark's on the 13th too.

My brother was up from GA, I met him in Coudersport and we fished Friday night, Saturday, and then I brought him down to Lancaster on Sunday. We hit Clark's on the way down. I caught my biggest brown from Clark's on that day. It was 19". My brother put the picture on a CD for me, I'll try to find it and figure out how to post on here.

Thanks for the tip on the wet fly. I read Dave Hughes' book on wet flies a little while ago and have tied some. I haven't fished them much yet. I'll have to tie a few of your recipe and try them out.
LamAugust 26th, 2007, 7:04 pm
Lancaster, PA

Is that a Payne bamboo rod in your picture? The end cap and reel seat look familiar.
WbranchAugust 26th, 2007, 7:51 pm
York & Starlight PA

Heh, heh, you have a couple thousand you wanna part with??
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.