Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > South Central PA spring Fishing

JOHNW has attached this picture. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
JOHNWApril 28th, 2011, 8:26 pm
Chambersburg, PA

With the exception of a single good day on Spring creek and an afternoon or two of BWO hatches the above picture pretty well sums up how my spring fishing has gone!!!!!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchApril 28th, 2011, 9:18 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi John,

Man, isn't that the truth! Here is a report i was going tp post up;

Decided to go to SC today as the gage in Axeman was 240 cfs yesterday. Well got to within fifteen miles of Bellefonte and finally got through to TCO in State College and Paul Weamer said the creek was entirely blown out and there might be limited fishing tomorrow. So I decided to drive over the mountain to Lamar and check out Big Fishing Creek thinking that maybe it missed the huge rain event that the area received last nght and early this morning. No such luck the creek was so high and off color that is was kind of scary. There are no guard rails in the "Narrows" and the road twists and turns. In some places the water was less than a foot from getting onto the roadway. From the level and color it appears it will be a week before it drops, and clears up enough, to make fishing enjoyable. Wasted $46 in gas and got out of the car only once in eight hours to make a pit stop at a Hardee's.

I have only been out three times in 2011 and one of those times was in mid February on Spring Creek. The other two times was one trip to a bait section of the Yellow Breeches that often gets good Hendrickson's and one trip last week tothe infamous "Quitty" up in Annvile. All the local creeks and streams are totally blown out and it might be a week before they are again fishable. All the Catskill rivers are extremely high and the reservoirs are spilling, and will be spilling, for at least another week or more. If one doesn't have a drift boat, or know a friend who has one it is doubtful that you will have any wade fising on any of the Catskill waters until mid May.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfMay 2nd, 2011, 4:39 pm
Palmyra PA

Ditto.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flatstick96May 2nd, 2011, 6:10 pm
We're having the opposite problem: hot, dry, windy. Heck, even fires.

Went to a local lake Easter morning in search of largemouths but was unsuccessful in finding any. Went back this past Sunday (exactly 1 week later), and the lake was probably 6-8" lower than the previous Sunday (did manage to catch a few this time). A partially submerged stump that I stood on Easter morning is now bone dry, and a good 2-3 feet of dry land separates it from the ever-receding water line.

I also went out to a different lake Friday evening after work; it had been two weeks since I'd visited that lake, and in that two weeks the water level must be down close to 2'. It's a man-made lake, and the spot I fish is one where an old road (once asphalt, now mostly not) disappears into the lake - I just wade out for a ways, and then fish off of both sides of the submerged road. Two weeks ago, once you would get about 30 yards out into the water, there was a cinder block stood up on end on one of the few remaining patches of old asphalt - even on end, the block was totally submerged with a couple of inches of water over the top of it. Friday when I returned to that spot, the block was still there, still standing on end...but now it's completely on dry land, and you have to walk probably 20 yards past it before you even get to the water.

Just really bizarre to see the water level change so drastically in such a short period of time, but I guess that's what happens when it doesn't rain...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.