Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Diamondglass Rods

GrannomJuly 29th, 2007, 8:08 am
Northwest PA

Has anyone ever fished a diamondglass rod? There is a 7'6" 3wt. That I am considering buying because it is marked down quite a bit. I was thinking it would be a nice small stream rod. It is fiberglass but I kinda like it. It has a really smooth "slower" action. Does anyone have an input, or strong objections to fiberglass? I know it's not the newest material but I think it has it's place.

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
MartinlfJuly 29th, 2007, 9:36 am
Palmyra PA

I've heard nothing but good things about these rods, and several of our most experienced posters here like slower rods than most catalogs push these days. I'd say, cast it some, and if it feels right in your hands you'll love the rod and it will treat you right whatever anyone else says.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GrannomJuly 29th, 2007, 12:42 pm
Northwest PA

Well...I put it on hold and I'm gonna go in tomorrow and pick it up. I did cast it previously and it's pretty sweet, it's not sloppy or uncontrolable. It's just comfortable and easy.

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
DavezJuly 31st, 2007, 5:33 am
Pennsylvania

today's good glass is like the best graphite rods ever made 15 years ago.

I fish scott G and sage LL rods-they were the premo sticks back 15 years ago or so. both are graphite and now called "moderate" action.

contrary to what alot of folks think, they are not slow action rods, they are just slower than the rods that are currently pushed (faster is better mentality, right?) for presentation, these rods are awesome. I only dry fly fish with them. throwing weight is not enjoyable and i fear the risk of damaging them by impact of a nasty lead eyed bugger. (it has happened before)

I call them great "fishing rods" where I call my scott S3 a great "casting rod" there is a difference.

the scott fibertouch is an amazing fiberglass rod, with an amazingly high price tag. the 7' 4wt is out of this word for small to medium fishing.

and you will have a hard time breaking glass.

The diamondglass that i casted was very nice, and had a decent price tag, at full retail. I was not in the market for a new stick, or I would have purchased one. for alot of the fishing I do- small creeks and 10" trout (hey, its all i got!) these rods would be the bomb.

I hope you get that diamondglass and report back on how it is. I could probably slip one past the wife if i found one cheap enough.

dave
GrannomJuly 31st, 2007, 6:26 am
Northwest PA

I did get the rod yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I'm going in sometime later to get a reel and line.

The one that I got had been hanging around the store for a while and had been marked down several times, eventually to the $150 that I paid for it. I like what you said. I have alot of rods that cast better and farther, but the diamondglass will be much more enjoyable to fish with.

-John Gierach
McjamesAugust 1st, 2007, 12:07 pm
Cortland Manor, NY

I have an Orvis fullflex circa 1990?? got it as a graduation present from college and its the only flyrod I own (this more from necessity than choice). It is awesome for fishing dries on small streams, very accurate and really delicate presentation. But as you can imagine, it is a PITA for fishing weighted nymphs which is what I usually end up doing.
I am haunted by waters
GrannomAugust 1st, 2007, 3:45 pm
Northwest PA

I ended up puting a Battenkill Bar-Stock reel on the Diamondglass with Cortland 333 line(nice for the price).

-John Gierach
WoodcanoeguAugust 8th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Posts: 1Grannom...does the shop you got the rod from have any more marked down in price. I would be interested in buying one. If so could you give me a name or phone number of the shop.

Thanks.......
GrannomAugust 9th, 2007, 1:30 pm
Northwest PA

This was the last Diamondglass that they had. I try not to buy rods at fly shops because they seem to be more expensive. So, this rod came from gander mountain where I find a lot of rods on sale. You may want to check one near you. Hope this helped.

-John Gierach
Chris_3gAugust 17th, 2007, 9:50 am
Posts: 59Hey everyone. As some of you guys are more informed about these fiberglass rods, I was wondering if you had any knowledge about a line of fiberglass rods titled "Wonderod" manufactured by Shakespeare. They used to be my grandfather's rods, and I dug them out of my parents' garage a few weeks back. Both are 5 wt. rods of approximately 7' and 9'.

I must say that it is completely different casting these rods vs. the much stiffer graphite rods that I'm used to. Is this type of action similar to that of bamboo rods? I also noted that after my forward cast, the rod tip bobs up and down causing the line to wave vertically prior to the line hitting the water. Any tips on how to remedy this? Thanks a lot!

Chris.
GrannomAugust 17th, 2007, 10:31 am
Northwest PA

Chris,

I've learned from casting my glass rod that you'll want to use a slower stroke in order to reduce the "bobbing" that you were describing. I am far from an expert with glass and bamboo but see if this helps.

Mike

-John Gierach
Jmd123August 17th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Oscoda, MI

Chris, my first rod was a fiberglass Browning, I think it was an 8-foot 5/6 weight. I used it for about five years (1985 - 1990) until I got a very similar but graphite Sage Discovery series rod. Both of these rods had a moderate action, and I used the heck out of them and caught plenty of fish. However, I myself like a faster action because I feel like I can control my casts better and have more accuracy. I too experienced the problem with tip vibration sending waves down my line, something to do with my casting style (which is not pretty but it gets the fly on-target). With the faster rods I don't have this problem so I feel like I have better control of where the fly lands.

But, to each their own. If you like a slower action, fiberglass just might be the way to go. A heck of a lot harder to break, too - I don't remember ever busting a glass spinning rod, and I hate to admit how many delicate wands of graphite I have snapped (including spinning rods). There are ups and downs to everything in life.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
AmosgOctober 29th, 2011, 12:38 pm
Posts: 5I broke a 9' Shakespeare Wonderod ( spinning) simply casting a small lightweight Cordell Spot. It snapped about 1' down from the tiptop.
SayfuOctober 29th, 2011, 10:05 pm
No Objection from me on a 7'6" 3 wt. in fiberglass. I think the material excels at the shorter length in a lt. line wt. Perfect for close in fishing. I don't care to say small stream because my very big river, the SF of the Snake gets narrowed down to small water when I target fish. I almost bought a Cabeles Anniversary sale fiberglass rod in that length with rings for securing the reel...very lt., and what I would have used for my small, dry fly rod....$100 bucks.
JesseOctober 30th, 2011, 11:50 am
I don't fish fiberglass rods but i have always wanted to. Ive heard great things!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.