Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Cicadas

EntomanApril 15th, 2016, 1:33 pm
Northern CA & ID

You guys back East ready for the Cicada blizzards? Should provide some interesting fishing opportunities...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularApril 15th, 2016, 1:58 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Where in the East are you referring? Most of PA and NY won't see any periodical cicadas this year.And the biggest brood (Brood X) we won't see until 2021. Brood V is only in a small portion of the southwest of PA. Although brood V may be important in the West Virginia.
EntomanApril 15th, 2016, 3:57 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! More proof the Press is usually clueless in its reporting...
Washington Post posted an article today hyping the event by quoting the book of Exodus, as with the locust plague of Egypt, BILLIONS of these rascals will descend upon PA early this Summer. :)LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularApril 15th, 2016, 11:21 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

BILLIONS of these rascals will descend upon PA early this Summer. :)LOL

http://www.magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broods.php

I wish...but when it does occur, believe me I'll be there. It's kinda crazy.
here is photo of a 14" fish that was electrofished from Logan Branch outside of State College PA during the last Brood X emergence. I apologize if I have posted this before. but by my count there are at least 28 cicadas

EntomanApril 16th, 2016, 2:06 pm
Northern CA & ID

That's the interesting info I hoped for in this thread.. What flies would you recommend to use and how to fish them... Like hoppers?
GutcutterApril 17th, 2016, 1:44 pm
Pennsylvania

What flies would you recommend to use and how to fish them...

Do these work?

I fished them dead drift. I heard of people twitching them, but I didn't see a need for that. Make sure they land with a "splat" and not a "splash".
They never got wise to the pattern, but they got wise to the leader. Had to go longer as the season progressed

I fished Central PA Brood XIV in '91 and thought it could never be better. So I took 2 weeks off to fish Brood XIV in '08, not expecting it to be as great as '91, but still good.
I was wrong. 2008 was better. By a long shot.
In pre-internet 1991, there were way fewer fishermen. We (or at least I) had better flies in '08.
The only good thing about $4.00 a gallon in '08 was that it kept a lot of folks away. But not everybody...
I'm hoping to be there in 2025
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123April 17th, 2016, 3:48 pm
Oscoda, MI

Nice fly, Tony, looks like it does the job and not hard to tie either - the ideal fly! What size are we talking, 2 or 4, or larger? Streamer hook?

Jonathon

P.S. Saw the 1987 brood in northern lower MI (U of M Bio Station on Douglas Lake), but not near the Maple River to my recollection (at least where I fished) and I wasn't very good back then anyway...would love to get a crack at this hatch!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
GutcutterApril 17th, 2016, 10:17 pm
Pennsylvania

Jonathan
Tiemco 5212. XL dry fly hook
Size 8 and 6

Eric. Damn that's not fair. Nice tie.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
OldredbarnApril 17th, 2016, 10:55 pm
Novi, MI

Eric. Damn that's not fair. Nice tie.

:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanApril 18th, 2016, 12:37 am
Northern CA & ID

I knew I could count on the PA contingent! Nice fly, Tony. That'd kill em out here even without cicadas. Oh, and the adopted one's smiley face was a nice touch too...
EntomanApril 18th, 2016, 12:39 am
Northern CA & ID

BTW, where's Bruce with some comment about these denizens flying up his nose... Or some other orifice! ;)
OldredbarnApril 18th, 2016, 9:33 am
Novi, MI

BTW, where's Bruce with some comment about these denizens flying up his nose... Or some other orifice! ;)

Kurt...Bruce is a form of cicada...He only appears every other year and is buried under the ground save for those times when he's dunking under the waters surface in the Little J...He's a diving duck...Bufflehead. Grebe. Loon. :)

The smiley face was for Tony's painfully honest remark where he gave the Crespuscular One credit for the fly..."The Good Doctor", as Bruce calls him, is wonderfully old-school that way...Its hard for an old angler to be honest like that...Well done!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
RleePApril 18th, 2016, 11:07 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Based on the map from Magicicada.org, this year's event is only going to touch on some of the more, umm, trout poor portions of Pennsylvania. That's OK, with even a little eastward drift or overlap of the anticipated covered area, there will some hot smallmouth topwater fishing along PA's western edge. I look forward to that.
CrepuscularApril 18th, 2016, 12:02 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

The smiley face was for Tony's painfully honest remark where he gave the Crespuscular One credit for the fly..."The Good Doctor", as Bruce calls him, is wonderfully old-school that way...Its hard for an old angler to be honest like that...Well done!

Spence

I think he was referring to a post I deleted...
Jmd123April 18th, 2016, 2:00 pm
Oscoda, MI

Eric, where did the fly go? Did you accidentally reveal a top-secret pattern or something? Let the cat out of the bag?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.