Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Does the extremely easily tied f-fly perform as well as the parachute adams? , Page 2

EntomanMarch 31st, 2016, 12:06 am
Northern CA & ID

Hi Jason,

You bet! Somehow the forces involved with the fly hitting the water really drives the slime out. Likewise, blowing hard on the fly (after blotting in a hanky) works better than just false casting. I wouldn't speed up your casting stroke to dry your fly. The little you gain isn't worth damaging the tippet, fly and all the excessive motion. Your wrist and elbow will feel better at the end of the day as well.;)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TroutnutMarch 31st, 2016, 4:38 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I wouldn't speed up your casting stroke to dry your fly. The little you gain isn't worth damaging the tippet, fly and all the excessive motion. Your wrist and elbow will feel better at the end of the day as well.;)

I don't really speed up the casting motion doing a bunch of furious false casts to whip the fly through the air more quickly (though I've seen people do that). It's more a matter of pulling on the fly before it's fully extended so there's a little sonic snap as the fly whips around at the end. It's very satisfying to hit it just right and see a cloud of mist poof off the fly right as it snaps. I've never had a fly damaged by this technique, but it's probably not the best for my tippets. I will definitely give the water-slapping a try this year!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Fish1March 31st, 2016, 5:13 am
Ljubljana, Slovenia

What we do here is
-use the natural CDC
-dry the fly after fish by squeezing it in the ammadou or simply the paper handkerchief or the cotton shirt
-make few strong AIR! false casts

BTW the F fly is probably the dryfly with most fish caught in Slovenia in the ff history. it is actually representing the emerging mayfly with the whole body under the surface in the water - just the wing outside.
There are many "improvements" also used all arround Europe but the original is hard to beat.

F
TroutnutMarch 31st, 2016, 5:33 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Here's an article by my Slovenian friend Tomaz (who just posted above) about the F-fly and its history and creator -- highly recommended reading!

http://www.troutnut.com/article/49/fratnik-f-fly
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
FlyGuy123April 6th, 2016, 4:43 am
Posts: 4I hope not :P But I never actually used the F-Fly because it's so ugly.
Salmon and sea trout fisher that sometimes get the chance to fish brown trout. Occasionally write about trout fishing.
FlytyerinpaJune 15th, 2016, 1:57 pm
Pottsville Pa

Hi Matt, hope its not to late to take you up on your offer of a couple CDC feathers to try, I did look up the sight where you bought it at they upped the price now its $20.00 so what else is new about the only things that don't go up is the SS check. Ed Motley
816 Water St.
Pottsville Pa. 17901

Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.