Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Long-time reader, never-time poster? Start here!, Page 12

Page:1...111213...19
BioprofsdJuly 24th, 2011, 9:48 pm
Mitchell, SD

I just found this forum and dug out a few pictures from about 7 years ago to share. In 2003, my spouse of 19 years gave me the boot and I started tying salmon flies just to keep myself busy. Here's a picture of one that I tied for my dad. It is a Lady Amherst pattern:

I gave up tying them because I just don't have the time and the patience any more.
MotroutJuly 24th, 2011, 11:00 pm
That's a beautiful fly. Thanks for posting.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Shawnny3July 25th, 2011, 9:34 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Welcome, Tim. Always good to have another on this buggy site with an affinity for salmon flies!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
RogueratAugust 4th, 2011, 8:50 pm
hey, I missed this part when I left a profile while signing up for this.

My name is Mark, I'm 56 yrs old, happily married and the father of 5 (3 of whom flyfish, and I'm working on the others- it's never too late!).

I started flyfishing and tying in 1993, strictly lots of bassbugs,Mega-Divers, and warmwater for largemouth and N Pike. I self-taught myself to spin and stack deer hair via lots of videos (VHS!) and books and had a lot of fun for a lot of years.

anyway, 2 years ago an old friend moved back to MI from Minnesota; he was married now, and wonder of wonders he was a serious flyfisher! his father-in-law was even a guide! Chad prodded me to go trout fishing with him, then to tie some basic dries and nymphs (I think he was getting tired of supplying me...) and now I'm happily into rivers, streams, and entomology.

I still do the deer-hair thing, especially since Chad is lousy at it and I'm selling him Bass and Muskie 'flies' on a regular basis. I've gotten him into going for Muskies and Pike, he's my trout guru, and all is well...

ps I went Steelheading for the first time in March of this year. air temp was 16*, water in the lower Rogue was hovering @ 35*, and tally for the day was 3 on and 3 lost. I made up for it with a 16" Brown after 6 hrs in the water. and hey,it was FUN and I can't wait for next spring (late winter?)

that's my flyfishing story, to date. if you see me on The Rogue just give a holler and wave, ask what's rising, and as the saying always goes, 'tight lines'!

I Peter 5:7...'Cast your cares upon Him'
SayfuAugust 14th, 2011, 8:58 am
Posts: 560Wow! What an outstanding site! Fills a huge void on the bugs, and the pics are outstanding! I am a longtime, West Coast guide that taught fly fishing schools for years...an avid tier with some new wrinkles I have never seen duplicated, and look forward to participating on this site. I had to look up where the Touchet River was in WA ST. and I was a WA ST. guide living in the Seattle area for years. Now I reside in Idaho Falls, and fish the South Fork and the North Fork of the Snake a lot. I have a small, fly fishing jetboat that I run from riffle to riffle, and own a ClackaCraft driftboat.
CutbowAugust 25th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Post Falls, Idaho

My name is John, I have yet to count all of my fly rods, maybe I'll do that and get back to you all. :) My biggest trout would probably be an 8 pound Lahontan cutthroat. My uncle has been a regular on this site for a while, (Entoman). We have fished together 18 years and I might add that my flyfishing career has been a very lucky and blessed one. I have been a "Lurker" for over a year and a half but this summer has created, in me, a higher interest for this site because I am begining to see mayflies in my home waters that I've never seen before, and in large numbers too! I look forward to all I have to learn and share with everyone on this site and I plan on providing photos and plenty of questions as soon as I can! Good fishing to all!!!
"Once you catch your first fish on a fly you won't care about any other kind of fishing!"
OldredbarnAugust 25th, 2011, 12:42 pm
Novi, MI

John,

Welcome aboard. Kurt didn't tell us he had a nephew that lived in Idaho...I'm packing up the fishing wagon as I write this and I'll see you in a week or so...;)

I spent a rather wild night once back in 1973 in Coeur d'Alene...A good friend of mine and I were in a place that I think was called the Ratskeller or something like that and having a wonderful time with a couple young women we had met there until a third girlfriend showed up and said it was time for the three of them to head back to Spokane...Ahhhhh!!! I drank away my sorrow and am surprised I remember any of it really.

The folks you will run in to on this site range from the slightly addicted to the full blown out-there TroutBums who think of nothing else...And to feed the affliction we have a few "science-types" hanging around to give us some legitimacy and feed us just enough info to make us dangerous...We all own a Latin Primer and know more about the intimate parts of aquatic insects than we know about our own bodies...I kid you not!

You already know where your uncle falls along my scale of angler's insanity so you should fit right in...Pull up a chair, crack open an "Oly" or two and let the games begin friend!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CutbowAugust 25th, 2011, 8:49 pm
Post Falls, Idaho

Thank you for the warm welcome Spence! To bad those girls were from Spokane! Idaho girls would've shown you a better time I'm sure. Stay away from those Spocommuism girls. LOL. Anyways I honestly can't say that I know more about insects then my own body because I'm a Registered nurse...A little to much formal education on that. :) But to give you an idea of how much of a trout bum I am I do know where every west slope cutty lives in Idaho and how to catch'em. My favorite river is a newcomer to the blue ribbon world and hasn't caught on with the out of state crowds yet. I don't mind taking people there but I sure wont mention it on a public forum! :) I bet you understand. Thanks again for the welcome. See you in a week ;)
"Once you catch your first fish on a fly you won't care about any other kind of fishing!"
AnoraAugust 26th, 2011, 2:59 am
united states

Hi !

I'm newbie here. Happy to be members of the forum.
I hope we will have great time here. and I'll try to contribute to forum develop more.
I'm positively looking forward to the forum and its members,
hope all will guide, share and help me to increase my knowledge. Nice to meet you..

EntomanAugust 26th, 2011, 3:22 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! Welcome aboard John!

Rule #1 - You do most of your fishing in Montana, the fishing where you live sucks.

Rule #2 - Sometimes you fish in California, the fishing where you live sucks.

Rule #3 - You forgot where you live.

It's OK to talk about the secret Schirmer flies that always work - as long as you don't give tying instructions. Oh, and go easy on any stories about your poor old uncle.

Spence -

I've got'em planted all over strategically. My oldest son went to Carroll in Helena for his undergraduate studies. It took years to scout out that school and I had to visit him all the time. Even had my own room in a house we rented for him (hint to John). Too bad he failed to take my advice and go on the 6 year plan. Oh well... Maybe someday he'll be back there on the faculty? Hope beats eternal in the breast of man...

John is one of those naturals. A dedicated dry fly man who can drum them up with the best, though he's great with nymphs when necessary. He's a gifted fly tier as well. Makes me feel good about the upcoming generation. If he and Jesse ever hook up, there won't be a decent fish between the coasts without a sore mouth for us poor old-timers.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnAugust 26th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Novi, MI

John is one of those naturals. A dedicated dry fly man who can drum them up with the best, though he's great with nymphs when necessary. He's a gifted fly tier as well. Makes me feel good about the upcoming generation. If he and Jesse ever hook up, there won't be a decent fish between the coasts without a sore mouth for us poor old-timers.

Kurt,

I was afraid that this might be the case and why I said I was heading in his direction and he not in mine...;) We all know how bad the fishing is here in the not-so-great-state of Michigan. Jesse, by-the-way, still thinks I fish the Ausable and not the Au Sable...Now that was a nice trick, eh!? ;)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanAugust 26th, 2011, 8:04 pm
Northern CA & ID

... still thinks I fish the Ausable and not the Au Sable...Now that was a nice trick, eh!? ;)

Shhh! Only if it keeps working... What if he reads these posts?

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSamNovember 23rd, 2011, 1:47 am
Fairbanks, Alaska

Hi every one,

My name is Samuel. I live in the great state of Alaska.

I picked up fly fishing this summer and tied my first fly last week. I have read some books on the subject and researched it on the web, my favorite website being Fly Anglers Online.

I have caught arctic grayling, dolly varden,landlocked salmon,many rainbow trout, and sockey salmon (the sockeys were caught with a dip net).

The largest fish I caught on a fishing rod was a 16 inch rainbow trout.

I am looking forward to learning a lot on this site, and with your help I will soon be catching some trophies.

Tight lines to you,

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
SeatroutApril 16th, 2012, 6:43 pm
Iceland

Greetings!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a fishing fan and guide when the season is open. I also like to think and write about fishing and I started to blog not long ago. I used to make all my flies myself but now I don´t really have that kind of time. I made this one though:

http://fishingvlog.com/trout-fly/ and many more excellent trout killers. Need to pick the fly tying up a bit.

I mainly fish for trout and salmon, sometimes I go surf fishing as well when there are not any trout or salmon possibilities.

My fishing rods, ...uh, they were all stolen this spring. I´m looking into buying new ones. My biggest trout on land would only be around 7-8 pound sea trout. Nothing to brag about, but nice fish and I´ve caught a few of those.

Tight lines !
Tight lines!

http://fishingvlog.com
GldstrmSamApril 16th, 2012, 9:36 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Hi Seatrout,

Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts and photos on here in the future.

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
FadpasserApril 20th, 2012, 11:36 am
Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland

Hi, my name is Chris and I live in Kirkaldy, Fife, Scotland. My interests are all things fishy (especially brown trout on the fly) and Dundee United FC. I work as an EMT with the Scottish Ambulance Service and live with my girlfriend her two kids and a springer spaniel called Oz.I first came accross this site while looking for a good trout picture for a wallpaper and soon got hooked. I know I will never fish the places you guys splash around in (unless the lottery comes up) but hope to contribute to the banter with plenty of where, what and why questions so be patient with me.
Tight Lines
even a man who is pure in heart . . . . . . . . .
PossumpointMay 27th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Northern Virginia

Heaven knows when I signed up for this forum. Made my first post a few min. ago on another thread. Been fly fishing and tying flies for pan fish and bass off and on for 35 +/- years. Started fishing for trout almost two years ago. Now go back whenever I can. Just recently had an enjoyable trip to the Shenandoah Valley, VA. Used an #8 olive Woolly burger for the first time for trout and it worked. I don't consider my self to be either an accomplished fly fisher or tier and look forward to learning much here.
Learn all you can, it's a one way trip.
SnowsquatchJuly 9th, 2012, 1:20 am
Northern Ontario Canada

Hello, I'm new (lurker), started fly fishing a few seasons back.
fly fishing isn't so prevalent in my area, so if I need Bug info. this is the place. Thanks to those who have provided the great info. found on this site.
"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves"
MartinlfJuly 9th, 2012, 10:10 am
Palmyra PA

Welcome to Troutnut.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
ZorJuly 12th, 2012, 11:10 am
Phoenix

Howdy. I just started fly fishing at 29, its never too late for more hobbies right? I'm pretty good in the outdoors, backpacking, hunting, paddling etc. but never much of a fisherman. That all changed last month due to a couple great experiences. One on lake Michigan going after some big king salmon and rainbow trout, I think I was hooked after hooking that first rainbow. That and a trip up to the white mountains hear in Arizona. I bought a cheap spinning setup and caught a handful of small apache trout. Awesome experience, but everyone else was fishing fly gear, so I figured what the heck and bought a complete setup off of Craigslist. Took a casting lesson at Bass Pro and away we go. I'm a total novice and more of a stick waiver at this point in time.

Zor
Page:1...111213...19

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.