User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Long-time reader, never-time poster? Start here!, Page 13

Page:1...121314...19
EntomanJuly 12th, 2012, 1:18 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum, Zor!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuAugust 2nd, 2012, 6:39 pm
Posts: 560Haven't posted in some time now, but felt the need for any of you bug "experts" out there to make a comment. I made known what I thought was fact seeing yellow sallies numerous times coming off the water...NOT crawling out to emerge like has been stated by most. Entomen (sp? don't want to look it up!) agreed that the site was misguided in stating that ALL STONES crawl out to emerge, and that the site would be updated to include that observation that I've had, and others have had. BUT, I recently purchased Dave Hughes new book, and he states emphatically that all stones DO CRAWL OUT to emerge! He says that when you think you see an emergence on the water it is egg layers that have returned to the water that are difficult to observe returning to the water. I do place a high regard for Hughes' knowledge of aquatic insects.
SayfuAugust 4th, 2012, 5:30 pm
Posts: 560We have a new lake that was built in town, and stocker fish put in it. They did a great job all around in grooming the lake, and establishing habitat. I took an interest in identifying the bugs in, or near the lake being interested in how long it takes for aquatic insects to establish themselves in a new body of water. What I thought initially was there were only midges in the lake. After an initial study, I have identified a number of insects including a number of terrestrials in the designated weed areas. and bushes around the lake. One of them became a problem I have never experienced before. I wore those rubber Clogs, and when I returned home kicked them off because my foot was itching. A leach had attached, and swelled up to considerable size having sucked blood for a considerable time. I pulled it off when I should have put salt, or vinegar on it, and it left a small hole, bled profusely, and turned red around the attached point the size of a quarter, and stayed that way for 10 days, or so!! I called a poison center, and gathered some info on it. I had the thought from readings that they were mostly detritus eaters, and not blood suckers. The lake works out great for me as a test area for flies, a new leader design, casting practice etc. I was going to walk around the lake showing the bait fishermen my foot, scare little kids, and women, and have the lake to myself. What's up with leaches? Is that normal?
TaxonAugust 4th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jere,

If you are asking if it's normal for a long-time poster to use the "Long-time reader, never-time poster?" thread to ask a question about leech behavior, I would have to say NO. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
RTBAugust 11th, 2012, 8:32 am
TROUT FROM ABOUT
PaulRobertsAugust 11th, 2012, 1:01 pm
Colorado

Howdy, RTB! Where do you hail from and what kind of fishing do you do?
RTBAugust 20th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Howdy, RTB! Where do you hail from and what kind of fishing do you do?

Thanks Paul see here Trout From About
TROUT FROM ABOUT
JafDecember 11th, 2012, 5:36 pm
statecollege Pa.

I've been on here alot for the great pics of the insects for new and revised patterns. Figured I should join and say hello, and how much I enjoy you all being here. I've been tying/fishing for almost 25 years now started off only for bass, then was brought into the fold of chasing trout. I'd have to say crawling around the mountain creeks is my most loved way to chase em, but like the bigger water as well. Looking forward to talking with everyone and learning things as yet discovered. Jack
Baetis7August 21st, 2014, 9:20 am
MI

Thought I would take the time to introduce myself as I have visited this site for a number of years but never checked out this great Forum. I reside in South East MI and am a part time river Guide and commercial fly-tyer. I enjoy tying trout, salmon and steelhead flies and have a background in Fisheries from LSSU and MSU with a good amount of courses in Aquatic Entomology. I have also been intrigued with bugs and their life cycle and morphological changes. I hope to learn a bit more and maybe share a few things as well from my fly fishing experience. Thank you kindly!

"The Rivers Of Our Earth & Their Branches Are The Veins Which Provide Structure, Transport & Life. Fly-Fishing Forms The Anatomy & Physiology Of A Healthy Soul" (K. Lowrie)
TaxonAugust 21st, 2014, 11:19 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Keith-

Nice intro. Welcome to the Troutnut forum.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CrepuscularAugust 22nd, 2014, 9:22 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Baetis7, welcome! oh no an MSU entomology student? I have connections to Merritt's lab. It's a great place to learn your bug stuff!
Jmd123August 23rd, 2014, 9:55 pm
Oscoda, MI

Eric, I took aquatics from Rich Merritt back in '91 at MSU - don't know if you knew that...just pulled out Merritt & Cummins Vol. 3 for some bug ID work from Wisconsin at work...no, not hardcore down-to-species level work like we should have been doing, the EPA merely budgeted to family level and I had to learn some leeches since there were so few EPT taxa in the samples, which came from a polluted creek. Yeah, they never pay me to do the nice stuff, it's always counting midge larvae and oligochaete worms...

BTW, welcome to the forum B7 from a fellow Michigander, and MSU entomology grad!

Jonathon

No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Trout4lifeAugust 25th, 2014, 9:26 pm
hey whow's it goin guy's

Well i guess i shoul have stated here first. what is MSU
CrepuscularAugust 26th, 2014, 8:51 am
Boiling Springs, PA

hey whow's it goin guy's

Well i guess i shoul have stated here first. what is MSU

Michigan State
RogueratAugust 26th, 2014, 11:06 am
MSU is that 'other' school here in MI...

Seriously, MSU is a good school...just don't get a Michigander hot about OSU!

Name withheld by request and the need for anonymity and a somewhat longer lifespan...
Jmd123August 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey boys, I went to both - Michigan for a Bachelor of Science in Botany (yes, that should explain all the wildflower pics I post along with my fish), and Michigan State for the M.S. in Entomology. So I can honestly say, whenever U of M plays MSU, my team always wins!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RogueratAugust 27th, 2014, 7:46 am
Jonathon,

Talk about the best of both worlds...!!

I had an aunt (MSU) and uncle (UM) who had to alternate sides for the Big Game every year, and they used to share fond memories of the infamous 'Snow Bowl' - they were students at that time.

Things are really doggo here in W MI...I watched Skamania steelhead 'watch' my flies last week, they looked bored to death.

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
TroutBumsOctober 8th, 2014, 9:39 pm
Cincinnati, OH

Received a nice note from Jason after joining this Forum. Reading through some of the posts, it is obvious there are some seasoned fly fishermen as a part of this Forum. The reason I joined was to learn, share, and find the best streams to fly fish in the USA. Any stream is an opportunity. I want to catch some of the BIG rainbows and brownies in different parts of the country. There is not thrill like hooking into a rainbow and know you have figured out what fly to use and outsmarted the buggers. Most of the time I catch and release, but smoked trout is mighty good.
Ted Holcomb
http://TroutBumOutfitters.com
Contact@TroutBumOutfitters.com
ESFFsalerepOctober 28th, 2014, 4:48 pm
MA

Hello, Newbie here from The Northeast Us. I found your site rather informative so that's why I joined! I enjoy fishing and tying as they really run together if your a nut! Thanks and I will be helping out and asking questions where I can..
Hello all, I am a member at www.Ericstroupflyfishing.com. A fly fishing educational website based in PA. Our goal is to provide a weekly chat and on and off water instruction as well as fly tying videos. The cost of this site is $10 per month.
CrepuscularOctober 29th, 2014, 9:08 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Welcome ESFFsalerep!
Page:1...121314...19

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.