Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best of the Forum - most interesting quotes list, Page 2

OldredbarnJuly 25th, 2011, 10:22 am
Novi, MI

Shawnny. G. You two are down right effervescent! It is too damn early of a Monday morning for this old grumpy dutchman to enter that church...Let me drink my second cup of tea first...;)

Bitter Bierce
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanJuly 28th, 2011, 12:35 am
Northern CA & ID

However, grouping the members of this forum (or scientists, for that matter) into two different "sides" seems a bit too polarized to me. I think we share varying degrees of common ground, and this site is more like an intersection than a fault line. That's what makes it so unique and interesting.

Very well put.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TroutnutJuly 29th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Here's another good one. When talking about why identifying insects is useful, PaulRoberts wrote:

The reason I want to know the identity is to be able to get under the skin of the activity. I want to know the ecological parameters and behaviors ahead of time. The most satisfying fishing for me has occurred bc I was hip to some activity. Being there when it happens and knowing what to do is really neat. Not that it always pans out as expected.

Well said.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
AnoraAugust 26th, 2011, 3:02 am
united states

hey..

My best quote for all the time is:

Love is always bestowed as a gift – freely, willingly and without expectation. We don’t love to be loved; we love to love.
Leo Buscaglia.
CapnBobNovember 29th, 2011, 8:41 pm
"He was a wise man who invented beer" --- Plato - 347 BC - 427 BC.

Cap'n Bob
EntomanNovember 30th, 2011, 3:52 am
Northern CA & ID

Capnbob - I was going to give you a bad time for posting a quote that didn't originate on Troutnut until I realized you were really quoting Spence.

This gem by Tim Neal showed up in a great thread called "Taxonomy & DNA". It was his only post after dozens discussing the eyebrows and elbows of a few mayfly species long after the original point of the topic had run its course.

I read an article some years ago by Ernie Schwiebert detailing (and providing separate patterns for) a number of species of black ants... minor variations in the patterns, of course, so the trout could tell which fake species they were being hooked on.....

That was the whole post. IMHO, Mark Twain couldn't have written better.

BTW, it wasn't hyperbole. This one had me chuckling for a long time because I remember the article. It had something like a half dozen (or more) ludicrously "different" black ant patterns tied on microscopic hooks. I think they (hooks) were actually filings from the waste basket of a "Skunk Works" milling machine owned by the CIA (don't try to tell me Ernie didn't have connections from working on the design of the Air Force Academy). You couldn't tell 'em apart with a microscope! For you doubters, it's the same source where Tony gets his hooks. OK, perhaps a little hyperbole.

Perspective is always a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks, Tim.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnNovember 30th, 2011, 10:07 am
Novi, MI

Capnbob - I was going to give you a bad time for posting a quote that didn't originate on Troutnut until I realized you were really quoting Spence.

Hey!!! I resemble that quote! :)

Kurt, I guess I owe you and the old Captain one of Canada's finest somewhere along a stream...somewhere...someday...

Spence

In terms of Tim's wonderful quote (it had me laughing out loud too this morning)...Kurt, you would get a kick out of an afternoon spent with Mr Neal and his "partner-in-crime" Jerry Regan up in Grayling...You don't know this, but Tim didn't fall too far from the proverbial tree...Snarly old oak to be exact. ;) They are both commercial tyer's of the "old-old-school" and in the time it would take you and I to set up our vice and say hello and all, they have whipped out a-couple-dozen Brown Drake spinners...

I remember someone asking here about preparing deer hides etc and they were just starting out as a tyer...I remember laughing when I read it because, other than Chris Helm, Tim & Jerry are the only two guys I know who have put some serious dents in a deer hide...I've seen Jerry sitting there cranking them out with his shop apron on and a large, lap sized, piece of deer stretched out over his lap (a piece of hair that would last the normal tyer a life time) and half of the hair is gone...After a tying session, when he stands up, enough deer hair scrap falls from his apron to fill the late Terry Sawchuk's old goalie pads...How's that for "hyperbole"? :)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfApril 29th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, here's one for the quotes thread from Paul Roberts. I laughed again when rereading it:

Speaking of refusals… These are NOT unsophisticated mountain trout, like tend to exist in adjacent canyons. These little shts (I actually said that!) would inspect, refuse, and spook like crazy little banshees at too big an indicator dry, or tippet landing on em, or seeing the same “not food” pass by more than 3 times. In those unpredictable canyon breezes, and turbulence that too often took a cast or two to figure out, I’d finally get a “good drift”, you know the ones you EXPECT fish on, and the little ____ would say, “Nope!”

“NO!???”, I’d stammer.

“What, do we look stupid??” they’d reply.

Yes, I’ve been known to talk to fish, and have them answer. Haven’t you?

"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GutcutterJanuary 13th, 2013, 11:50 am
Pennsylvania

It would be an honor for you to fish with me.
Bruce

The best quote in a long time...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
EntomanJanuary 13th, 2013, 7:52 pm
Northern CA & ID

LOL At first I didn't get it! Thank me for the quote, Tony.:)
CrepuscularJanuary 14th, 2013, 11:33 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Yeah that's a great one! I literally laughed out loud.
MartinlfJanuary 28th, 2013, 7:37 pm
Palmyra PA

On the previous page Ericd had posted up Jason's "dunner shucks" quotation, but it makes more sense with some context. I had asked a question about "spinner shucks," and John S. had pointed out that they were actually "dun shucks" (just as we call the shucks duns emerge from "nymphal shucks"). Jason then posted the following:

I can see the hit movie now! A passenger jet flies through a massive Hex hatch, and it's up to Samuel L. Jackson to save the passengers and the engines from millions of mayflies. Near the end of the movie he finally gets really angry and proclaims, I have had it with these dunner-shucking drakes on this dunner-shucking plane!

If you have seen the movie, Snakes on a Plane, you get the allusion pretty quick.

--Fred Chappell
EntomanJanuary 28th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Northern CA & ID

LOL:)
MartinlfMarch 4th, 2013, 8:18 pm
Palmyra PA

When fishing in bear country, always double up with a guy that runs slower than you.

--from Kurt

--Fred Chappell
CrepuscularMarch 5th, 2013, 1:58 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I go for the fish with low self esteem.
There's plenty more of those.

Feathers5, Lastchance, Goose, etc. etc.
MartinlfMarch 5th, 2013, 8:32 pm
Palmyra PA

Its just that I'm from the area originally and I get a giggle out of the notion of serious guys festooned in a 1000 bucks worth of gear standing in the same place in Elk Creek where my Dad used to net smelt, spear suckers and take his Plott hounds down for baths.

Speaking of coon dogs, if you go downstream around the first bend below what is now called Folly's End (used to be Bert Luther's place) you'll come to the high bank where my paternal grandfather made the mistake of inserting his foot into an argument between a couple of his Blue Ticks and a big ol' boar coon. The dogs and the coon were rolling around in a ball in the shallows making a hell of a commotion. So, the old man hauled off and kicked the coon in the slats. The coon came out of there with his teeth stuck in the toe of the old man's boot and on into his 2nd and 3rd toes as I recall. While the old man was never much on actual work (he got his screws turned in the Great War and to my knowledge never worked a day in his life on a regular job), he was very light on his feet for being 5'6", 205 lb. And never more so than when the coon had him by the toes. So, he's dancing around on the bank trying to shake him loose and after a few moments, pulled out a .22 pistolover and fed him 3 or 4 rounds. This relaxed the coon immensely and the old man got his foot back. My Dad (who was maybe 14 or so at the time, this was in the late 1930's) cut him a stick to use for a crutch and the old man went home, soaked his toe, smeared it with bag balm and taped it up. And was back out running them the next night, although I don't think he tried to referee any more coon/dog disagreements. He was a tough old b--t--d though. Once, when he was nearly 80, I saw him bite a chuck out of the side of a red delicious apple, with both his upper and lower full plates out. Try that...

But never mind me. I'm obviously getting old and cranky. Sorry for thread busting.

Don't know how I missed this one in Lee's discussion of steelhead fishing near Erie. Thanks for thread busting; great story!

--Fred Chappell
EntomanApril 1st, 2013, 6:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

Another thing you generally won't hear is just how common it is to find obscure species. I think at least a third of the mayflies I collect are from species rarely if ever seen in fly fishing books. When people try to identify them to species using keys in a fishing book, it usually just leads to frustration.

This quote of Jason's from way back in '06 deserves to be at the top of the Most Interesting Quotes list. Not for its wit or humor, but rather for its truth so relevant to the primary purpose of this site. Helping anglers sort out trout critters as accurately as practical and relating this to our rich literary heritage and collective experiences is what it's all about, and "it ain't always easy." The good news (in a way) is we are working with photos not a curated collection. Usually, if it's hard to prove our guesses it's equally hard to disprove them. Sometimes horseshoes and angling have much in common...:)
LastchanceApril 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm
Portage, PA

Reply: All I can say is that knowledge displayed and shared on this site is incredible. The photography is awesome. I kid around, but I really do appreciate all of your expertise. More than that I appreciate your generosity.
Bruce, Goose, Lastchance, Feathers5

Fish On....
GearTheoryMay 9th, 2013, 10:20 pm
Indianapolis

He has one, his name is Jimmy, he is my brother, and yes he is a kid :)

Mikey
Gear & Theory
Kschaefer3July 30th, 2013, 2:57 pm
St. Paul, MN

Stumbled upon this one from Jason today. I thought it was hilarious. Fight poetry with poetry.

There once was a Jon on the forum
who slighted the haiku decorum.
His first violation,
in this conversation;
one more and a ban's waiting for 'im.

I need to peruse the older threads more often. They can be quite interesting and often very amusing. It is easy to see which threads are from the winter.
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.