Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > what pattern is this?

Stawheed has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
StawheedMay 13th, 2015, 9:02 am
Kashmir

I am sorry if this is not the correct section but I can seem to find the appropriate section for questions regarding fly pattern identification.

I need to know the fly pattern name for the picture below.
WbranchMay 13th, 2015, 12:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

I am unfamiliar with this pattern. In the US we have a pattern called the San Juan worm but the only similarity is it is tied entirely with a piece of, usually, brown or pink vernille. Vernille is a material like chenille but with a stiff core. Some fly fishers use it to imitate an earthworm.

I found this comment at another web site;

the more important feature to me is the the core of most chenille is cotton thread and the core of vernille is some sort of plastic thread

That becomes important when tying San Juan Worms or Poopah Caddis patterns. Both patterns call for melting the material so the exposed ends don't unravel. The chenille cotton core burns rather than melting..

Here are two links, one to the San Juan worm and the other to the poopah which imitates caddis pupa.

http://thecatchandthehatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/beadhead-san-juan-worm-red-sku-549h-480x373.jpg

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/poopah.htm
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
EntomanMay 13th, 2015, 3:19 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum.

It's a Fox Poopah. Obviously, the micro chenille body and duck flank antennae are grossly over length. I'm wondering about the tier's purpose for this curious distortion...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
StawheedMay 14th, 2015, 9:30 am
Kashmir

Thank you guys for the swift reply and warm welcome. I am from Kashmir actually and there isn't much information regarding the fauna around trout streams. From last five years I am gathering information on food habits of trout around different seasons and with this the number of catch has increased but there is still a lot to do. Another worry is people here aren't much worried about the release part so am fighting that battle as well.

Coming to this fly pattern, all flies that are available in here are from UK since the sport was introduced by them during early 20th century and we have been following their Tackle ever since.

Anyways I went to fishing last week and there was this pool with a couple of good brownies and scores of new hatch around 5 inches in size. I tied this fly and the big ones didn't even bother to move but them little ones went mad even when I was retrieving the line for another cast. I felt sortta sad for their inexperience and about the selection of this fly which looked more like a worm than any insect.

Thank you again for the info.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.