Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Veevus Thread/Opinions

LastchanceFebruary 15th, 2015, 10:08 am
Portage, PA

Could I get some opinions, please. I think someone mentioned it in a thread.
PlanettroutFebruary 15th, 2015, 11:01 am
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

I have been using Veevus since it first became available here in the U.S., about 2 1/2 years ago - mostly in 10/0, 12/0, 14/0 and 16/0. It is extremely strong but does not lay flat like Tiemco 16/0 - which is no longer being distributed. I also use Semperfli Nano Silk in several different sizes.It is a gel-spun thread that lays very flat, is stronger than Veevus (it will cut right through deer and elk hair) and is expensive...

http://www.semperfli.net/nano-silk-30-denier.html

Nano Silk is distributed by Cascade Crest Tools, in OR and Veevus is distributed by Hareline

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
OldredbarnFebruary 15th, 2015, 11:31 am
Novi, MI

Bruce.

I really don't have any problems with the thousand and one other brands I own. :)

It is the brand of the month. Next year there will be a Yak/polyester blend harvested from a rare breed of Yak that lives on the Mongolian Plateau that is incredibly strong and so thin you can't actually see it. ;)

I'll be first in line with the rest of us wacko's!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123February 15th, 2015, 9:58 pm
Oscoda, MI

"It is the brand of the month. Next year there will be a Yak/polyester blend harvested from a rare breed of Yak that lives on the Mongolian Plateau that is incredibly strong and so thin you can't actually see it. ;)

I'll be first in line with the rest of us wacko's!

Spence"

Good for several good chuckles and, how do you say these days, LOL-ing!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfFebruary 15th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Palmyra PA

I like the Veevus 14/0 and 16/0 for parachutes as I tie off underneath the hackles on the post, and the thin diameter allows for very little build up while the strength keeps me from breaking the thread when applying pressure to tighten the whip finish. Just bought some Semperfli, and will try it for parachutes soon, though gel spun threads can be slippery and this may require an extra wrap or two on the whip finish. I also like the Veevus for tiny flies such as Tricos or midges. For other flies I use whatever I have that seems to fit the bill, mostly Uni-thread.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PlanettroutFebruary 16th, 2015, 1:59 pm
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

I like the Veevus 14/0 and 16/0 for parachutes as I tie off underneath the hackles on the post, and the thin diameter allows for very little build up while the strength keeps me from breaking the thread when applying pressure to tighten the whip finish. Just bought some Semperfli, and will try it for parachutes soon, though gel spun threads can be slippery and this may require an extra wrap or two on the whip finish. I also like the Veevus for tiny flies such as Tricos or midges. For other flies I use whatever I have that seems to fit the bill, mostly Uni-thread.

Run the tip end of the gel spun thread through some wax before tying it on the hook shank - it won't slip...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
LastchanceFebruary 16th, 2015, 6:11 pm
Portage, PA

Thanks

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.