Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > My Favorite Fly Something to try when all else fails

GreyghostApril 12th, 2007, 5:19 pm
Wisconsin The Driftless region

I call this the Kiphil
Size 10 streamer hook wrapped with light lead wire. Tie on a pheasant tip to the butt end for a tail wrap the body with 3 twisted peacock herls over wrap with tying thread for strength. Tie a few strands of yellow and white kip tail to the head and put in a few short strand of green and red sparkle. Make sure that nothing is longer than the tail whip to finish and fish.
Favorite fishing method is to tie on a least a 12 foot leader and fish it down stream guiding it into overhangs and weed lined stream banks. Fish will hit this hard. My personal best is 43 in one morning on one fly. The Kiphil dont leave home without it............
Greyghost the legend the man
Shawnny3April 14th, 2007, 6:35 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Nice fly. I don't fish streamers much, but that sounds like a good one. I like herl-bodied streamers (especially with gold ribbing) for landlocked salmon.

And speaking of streamers, your username is one of my all-time favorites. A great fly, though a bit harder to tie than the one you just posted about.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GreyghostApril 16th, 2007, 2:46 am

The Ghost was an all time favorite of mine also never leave home with out one. I fish streamers more now than ever i have found that I catch larger fish in early morning hours with this than wait for the hatch for 7 inchers.
GreyghostApril 26th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Fished this pattern after a heavy rain cant remember fishing this good. Let it drift down through the pools and set the hook 7 drifts in a row managed a limit in 5 minutes. Of course it was all catch and release.
GreyghostApril 30th, 2007, 3:23 am

The weekend here is tuff for resident fishermen we have a big push from the south. Seems they take over the streams not wanting you to bother them because they have driven so far. This weekend is the opener and I know it will be crowded wil go out during the week and leave the stream alone on the weekend. The part that really gets my ghost is the clutter left behind. The bottle caps from imported beer the pricy cigar butts bands and wrappers the energy bar wrappers and dried nut containers I guess they dont live here why not. Just a little rant it doesnt appear many read this post anyway.
TroutnutApril 30th, 2007, 6:53 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Ugh, litter is really frustrating. A fine really isn't enough. There should be at least a few months of jail time attached to it.

Around here, some of the non-angling locals are even worse than your tourists. They love to dump truck-fulls of large junk into the river because they're too lazy or cheap to drive to a landfill. I am generally opposed to secret CIA torture camps in countries with no rules, but I would love to buy these hicks a ticket.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
CaseyPApril 30th, 2007, 12:47 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

put it down to lack of education. when you spend significant time in art class as a child making "Please Do Not Litter" posters, and then go clean up a park, you learn something. it was the one time our teachers let us bad-mouth adults--unforgettable! this was all long ago. now of course, there is no "art class", and we are afflicted with uneducated louts with money--God help us!

okay, got that out of the system...

please, sirs, what is a silver pheasant, and do they still make them? i looked up the Grey Ghost pattern and it's gorgeous, but my complete ring-necked pheasant skin doesn't have those feathers on it.

and the kiphil looks good, too. thanks for posting it.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
GreyghostApril 30th, 2007, 1:05 pm

I use barred or grizzly color type hackle feathers real long fine ones and then a mallard flank side patch shaped to fit. Sliver Pheasant is a color phase but not real important for this fly Have tied and used hundreds of these from long ago when pheasnats and dinosaurs were still on in the same////////////////
MartinlfApril 30th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Palmyra PA

I believe litterers should find their litter in their bed when they arrive home.

Greyghost, in your Kiphil, it that a golden pheasant tippet on the tail of the fly, or something else?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPApril 30th, 2007, 2:06 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

aha! a use for those immense feathers on the end of my beautiful, old grizzly cape, and the little bag of mallard flank that turned up out of the blue one day. you know you've been tying for a little while when someone mentions a work-around and you have the ingredients. (mainly because the stuff is threatening to escape the desk and chest you've allowed them.)

thanks!

Louis, i want that litter beside the bed in the middle of the night...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3April 30th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I'll second the grizzly hackle suggestion. I did not have silver pheasant for many years and tied the ghost with the grizzly hackle with great success. I didn't even bother with the mallard flank and the fish didn't really care. I've had days on landlocks on which the only fish caught were by my brother and I on Gray Ghosts. You know it's the right fly when you eventually have to stop fishing because the guys tossing minnows are crowding you so much you can no longer backcast. At times like this, either my brother or I would turn to the other and say, "...because there aren't any fish anywhere ELSE in the lake." Good stuff. And good fly.

-Shawn

P.S. Jason, I've also had a bit of success with the Ghost in some of those deep holes when nothing else is working.

P.P.S. And Greyghost, thank you for the ringing endorsement of your Kiphil. You've inspired me to go tie up a few. I shudder to think how cluttered my flybox will get if I start tying streamers again, though...

P.P.P.S. And Casey, don't neglect the church window feathers on your ringneck skin when tying streamers. In fact, try trimming the outer brown section from them and tying them on as cheeks for either of the streamers we've been talking about and I think you (and more importantly, the fish) may like the results.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GreyghostMay 1st, 2007, 3:04 am

The tail of the fly is just the lighter color of any feather shouldnt stick out more thatn a fourth of an inch. Would post a picture if I knew how.
MrLoudMay 1st, 2007, 10:26 am
Williams Bay

Adams Parachute-The bigger the better. I have fished this all over from Wi to Mi as well as in GA and NC and it has always produced. My main reason I love it is that I can see it! I have caught fish on the drift, strip back, after it has sunk and while it was dangling on the water while I am untying a wind knot.
Don't Think; Just Fish!
GreyghostMay 7th, 2007, 3:21 am

Did real well on the Kiphil this past weekend in the horrible wind. Saturday was the opener here in Wisconsin with the area full of people trying to catch trout. I managed to sneak into a pocket no one fishes and cught a lot of wild trout. most were 11 inches or smaller did manage 3 over 15. Great fun.
GreyghostJuly 3rd, 2007, 3:33 am

Trout fishing in southwestern wisconsin is heating up hatches happeneing but favorite is early morning streamers. I would bet the dry fly guys are catching 1 to my 10 big fish and I am usualy done by 9 in the morning. Why do the dudes need a guy looking over their back to coach them a little too close for my taste good luck

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.