Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Dry Fly Hackle, Page 2

GutcutterJanuary 25th, 2015, 7:46 pm
Pennsylvania

...I really like them for pull down hackling. Their great length makes it much easier to swap hands when winding around the loop. The finished fly looks much like a comparadun only with hackle instead of hair...

I haven't heard the term "pull down hackle". Are you talking about hacklestacking/paraloop or is there something else I can play with this winter?
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
EntomanJanuary 26th, 2015, 1:59 am
Northern CA & ID

Tony -

Yes, the patterns called hacklestackers (and a few other names) use the pull down or stacking method of hackling. Sorry for the confusion.;)

Matt-

Yeah, I'd do the same if I were only tying for myself. As for Hoffman, wasn't he bought out by Whiting? I think it's all the same stuff.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Kschaefer3January 26th, 2015, 10:59 am
St. Paul, MN

I thought I might start some discussion with this one. :)

Thanks for all the advice and information!
CrepuscularJanuary 26th, 2015, 2:47 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I haven't heard the term "pull down hackle". Are you talking about hacklestacking/paraloop or is there something else I can play with this winter?

Bruce, do you want to take this one...
EntomanJanuary 26th, 2015, 3:15 pm
Northern CA & ID

I think that's a private matter Tony should keep to himself, Eric. Now if Bruce wishes to probe the subject a little deeper, far be it from me to discourage or interfere in any way, provided he doesn't go too far...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJanuary 26th, 2015, 4:31 pm
Novi, MI

We have to wait for Brucie to bob back up...He's probably fallen in again, that otter!

Spence

"pull down hackle"
I thought he meant that with the longer saddle hackle its easier to wrap without a hackle plier...You can wrap over and grab with your opposite hand...You know, "nit one, pearl two"...Or some-such?
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanJanuary 26th, 2015, 4:37 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yep.
Kschaefer3January 29th, 2015, 10:14 am
St. Paul, MN

Again, I do appreciate all the advice!I ended up getting 2 Whiting bronze half capes. One in brown, the other medium dun. Had the shop had any in grizzly, I would have got that as well. So far I have played around with some EHC (I bet Jonathon will be happy that was my first hackled dry :)) and tied a parachute BWO (attempted 3, but only one turned out). It's been fun so far! I'm sure I'll be asking lots of tying questions in the coming months.
OldredbarnJanuary 29th, 2015, 10:34 am
Novi, MI

Kyle,

Go here and follow along with something...

http://www.flyfishsd.com/fly-tying-videos-by-category/

Better yet, go to Charlie Cravens site Charlie's Fly Box and pick something and do a step-by-step.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Kschaefer3January 29th, 2015, 10:44 am
St. Paul, MN

I know Charlie's Fly Box! I went step by step on his cdc comparadun. He has a great site with awesome step by step instructions! Thanks for the link with all the videos! I will check those out for sure. I watched the EHC video on "In the Riffle". That gentleman does a nice job, imo.
OldredbarnJanuary 29th, 2015, 10:49 am
Novi, MI

Yes...I have watched a few, "In the Riffle" vids as well.

Spence

WbranchJanuary 29th, 2015, 5:09 pm
York & Starlight PA

I just viewed the Cravens tutorial for a CDC compara-dun. If you use three CDC feather tips you can more closely replicate the 180 degree wing as is achieved using hair for the wing. I guess it is all a matter of preference though.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3January 29th, 2015, 5:29 pm
St. Paul, MN

I just viewed the Cravens tutorial for a CDC compara-dun. If you use three CDC feather tips you can more closely replicate the 180 degree wing as is achieved using hair for the wing. I guess it is all a matter of preference though.

Thanks for the tip Matt! I know in the tutorial he even mentions that he likes an arc of less than 180 degrees so it sits even lower in the water, certainly just personal preference.
WbranchJanuary 29th, 2015, 6:02 pm
York & Starlight PA

Kyle, I no longer have your email address. Can you send it via a PM?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.