Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 1,000 users, Page 2

GONZOJuly 19th, 2007, 9:34 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

So maybe that explains the low poster/member ratio...

Maybe, James, but I, for one, hope that all the "lurkers" out there would at least feel comfortable enough to ask questions. Without questions to try to answer, many of the regular posters just end up teasing each other in bizzare and arcane ways. ;) Really, other than the great group of professional bug and fish people who post here, we're all just regular Joes who want to learn as much as we can about the sport and the creatures we love.
MartinlfJuly 19th, 2007, 10:40 am
Palmyra PA

All I can say is if any of the non-posting viewers think I know much of anything, they just need to join me fishing to be quickly and thoroughly disabused of that idea. Now, I completely deny all responsibility for any odd or arcane teasing that may have appeared on Jason's site. Gonzo must be thinking of someone else. But what I will emphasize is that everyone will find themselves welcome here, and they will find their questions and ideas treated with respect, at least until they are well enough known to take a bit of teasing. So let us have your .02, as my friend JohnW says.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPJuly 21st, 2007, 7:42 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

the following is an example of why we check this site out all day long. who couldn't want to check out the latest after you read the post by "martinl":

Now that many of us are in tying mode, I thought it might be interesting to start a favorite fly "thread." What I envisioned was not a series of comments on beloved standard ties, but rather, for those who are willing, descriptions of unusual but effective flies, especially ones that show tough fish something new. I'm starting with a fly I've kept to myself and a few friends for years, but, given Gonzo's generosity, feel a bit silly not sharing now.

the polite responses to posters as they joined this thread were sure encouraging to this tyro! and if you're new and missed this nifty exchange, check out Favorite Flies in Fly Tying.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
MartinlfJuly 21st, 2007, 8:25 am
Palmyra PA

Casey's right to encourage new viewers to take a look at some of the past threads. I return to them myself from time to time to review a fly recipe, a hatch issue, or a specific identification tip.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TroutnutJuly 21st, 2007, 11:13 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

All I can say is if any of the non-posting viewers think I know much of anything, they just need to join me fishing to be quickly and thoroughly disabused of that idea.

If that's the case I may need to fish with you again. The first time, I was left with the impression that you're a thoroughly competent angler. If any buffoonery took place, it was with considerable stealth and probably took place while I had my back turned. You will have to try a little harder than that to disabuse anyone of the notion that you know what you're doing.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.