Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > multiple fish species

McjamesJuly 3rd, 2007, 9:11 am
Cortland Manor, NY

one of my fondest memories is of fishing a small, warm, silty little suburban stream in W Phila suburbs and in a single day catching brown trout, largemouth and smallmouth bass, yellow perch, creek chubs, roach, sunfish and even a juvenile tiger muskie that must have swum up from the resevoir below. We also saw some carp but couldnt entice them with our woolly buggers. Would love to hear of similar experiences.
I am haunted by waters
GONZOJuly 3rd, 2007, 9:39 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

James, I'm pretty sure I know the stream you mention. (The tiger muskie from the reservoir gave it away.) In my neighborhood, both the Yellow Breeches and the Conodoguinet provide similar variety. On the Breeches, in addition to stocked rainbows, brooks, and browns, there are wild trout around the spring creek feeders (as there are on the Connie) and smallmouth, largemouth, pickerel, bluegills, redbreasts, pumpkinseeds, sunfish hybrids, rock bass, fallfish, chubs, shiners, suckers, and carp. I don't pursue mixed bag fishing as much as I used to, but it can be fascinating and refreshing. As a kid on the Breeches, I used to delight in seeing how many different species I could catch in a day.
McjamesJuly 3rd, 2007, 9:56 am
Cortland Manor, NY

Man I only fished Yellow Breeches once, when I was about 12... my friend's dad took us, and we spent all day on some little feeder stream right by the parking lot that was swarming with trout..we never even made it to Yellow Breeches proper... my friend's dad still teases us about fishing in "the aquarium" when there was a famous trout stream just a few yards away... I would love to go back for a mixed-bag outing.

The stream I was talking about is called Crum Creek, it forms the Springton Lake Reservoir in Delaware County. I am impressed you know about it-- have never seen another fisherman on it above the reservoir(which is not surprising I guess it isnt much of a stream). However I have caught occasional brownies there since I was a kid and I recently found a population study on the web that documented a (small) wild trout population.
I am haunted by waters
GONZOJuly 3rd, 2007, 8:30 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

James,

That "little feeder stream" you mention sounds like it would have to be the Little Run here in Boiling Springs. It's the outlet of Boiling Springs Lake and it connects with the Breeches a bit below the parking lot. It's a part of the special regulation section of the Breeches and was probably designated "Fish-for-Fun" when you were there.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.