Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Action needs to be taken before its to late

SteelyKrazyJanuary 30th, 2010, 12:05 pm
Lititz, Pa

It boils my blood to find out that nothing was fixed at the run and is just as crappy as it was before the new water flow. Im not sure how many people on this site fish the run, but some how someway the run needs to be fixed reguvinated and restored to what it once was. Maybe we should start an orginazation to get money to do just that...restore the stream and fish. Let me know what eveyone thinks. It would be so worth it.

Jeremy
catch and release and restoration are the devine keys
WbranchJanuary 30th, 2010, 7:34 pm
York & Starlight PA

"Maybe we should start an orginazation to get money to do just that...restore the stream and fish."

That is easier said than done - it is a waterway managed by PA Fish & Boat Comission. You can raise all the money you want but without their permission,and cooperation, you can't move one rock in that creek.

I for one have never had much interest in the Run, it is more of a novelty than an actual stream. It's probably no longer than 100 yards and has very little depth and less cover for fish to hide. There probably hasn't been a wild trout in it since the Indians were forced off of their ancestral lands by the white man.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JOHNWFebruary 1st, 2010, 2:08 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Actually there has been a ton of work improving the structure, habit and bank stability of the run. Every year the Tu Rivers Conservation camp does a project on that section of stream.
In my ten year history with the Breeches is that the run is a VERY artificial stretch of "stream" good for considerable poaching of fish that had no where to hide and reliant on stocking several times a year.
IMHO the best asset of the run is providing COLD water to moderate the very warm water in the Breeches and keep the Regs section viable during hot summers.

If you really want to do the Breeches a favor focus efforts on instream structure and projects that will improve upstream habitat to keep the stream as a whole more viable -OR- Work to stem the developement in the area which is tapping into the aquifer and "reducing stream flow".
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GutcutterFebruary 1st, 2010, 2:35 pm
Pennsylvania

"There probably hasn't been a wild trout in it since the Indians were forced off of their ancestral lands by the white man."

i have heard that the name "yellow breeches" was give to the stream during the french and indian war when the troops under washington washed their pants in the creek and they turned yellow.
don't know if it is true, but kinda cool story/fairy tale
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
WbranchFebruary 2nd, 2010, 7:27 am
York & Starlight PA

John wrote -

"In my ten year history with the Breeches is that the run is a VERY artificial stretch of "stream" good for considerable poaching of fish that had no where to hide and reliant on stocking several times a year.
IMHO the best asset of the run is providing COLD water to moderate the very warm water in the Breeches and keep the Regs section viable during hot summers."

I'm in total agreement with John's assessment of the "Run". It is pretty much a straight section of water that runs from the out flow of the "Children's Lake" to the confluence with Yellow Breeches Creek downstream between 100 and 150 yards. Other than the Flume or plunge pool right below the outflow from the lake where the water appears to have some depth the rest of the Run, during nomal flow periods, is between 6" and 24" deep. Not exactly an environment to hold and sustain large trout. There is very little in stream structure for trout to hide near, in, or under. It does, as John mentions, add a nice shot of cold water into the main flow of the YB and if you wade wet in the summer during the Trico time you can feel the influx of cold water.
SteelyKrazyFebruary 10th, 2010, 2:32 pm
Lititz, Pa

Well I want to thank each of you for your educational imput and foresight. I just thought it might be an idea to help the fishing and quality of fish. The run is one of those "streams" that is dear to me. Its where I learned to fly fish with my step-father. I can rember how great it was back then. I just wanted to give another youth the same type of experiance that I had, and make it better as a whole. Thanks again for your imput.

Jeremy
catch and release and restoration are the devine keys
WbranchFebruary 10th, 2010, 3:57 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Jeremy,

My post probably sounded pretty harsh to you. Those were just the opinions of a cranky old guy. If you like the "Run" then that is all that matters. Maybe it is a place where a kid could get a start in fly fishing but I'd much rather start a kid out in a more woodsy, trouty, environment than the dirt parking lot of where the "Run" is located. Take a kid up to the fly only section of Clark's Creek. There are a couple of miles of pretty water, somewhat similar to the "Run", yet a much longer piece of water and quite a number of pools 3' deep and more. Plus the kid gets a chance to hear wild turkey's gooble, see deer and maybe even a bear as I did two seasons ago.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.