Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > PA Limestones

DavemAugust 1st, 2011, 6:29 pm
Posts: 7I'll be around Carlisle for a few days. I've got to try Letort Spring Run and Yellow Breeches even if the time of year isn't tops. What about Big Springs and Falling Springs? Are they worth a try and if so, where is there public access? I read a book by Ed Shenck about cedar run and it sounded like a trib of Yellow B. Any info on that? Thanks for any help.
JOHNWAugust 1st, 2011, 7:26 pm
Chambersburg, PA

DAve,
Cedar is tiny and access is difficult.
Unless you fish in the thermal plume from the Little Run in Boiling Springs (questionable fishing ethics there) I would wager that the Yellow Breeches will be on the very warm side and probably best avoided. Check with Yellow Breeches outfitter for the latest temps and conditions on this one.

Letort, Big Spring and Falling Spring will all be cold and clear.
Of those three Falling Spring is probably the most hospitable but you will end up fishing through peoples yards (they are used to it and are generally a friendly lot). If you decide to make the 35 minute drive down from Carlisle to Chambersburg shoot me a PM and I can give you more info.
Big Spring is probably the easiest access as a road paralells the special regs section closely. THis is also the biggest drawback as it allows easy access to all and especially those with less than high catch and release ethics.
The Letort is far and away the toughest of these (IMHO) with all of the conflicted currents and silty bottom and sink holes making actually getting a fly in the vicinity of a trout interesting at the least but it is one of the Holies of flyfishing and therefore must be experienced if only to walk away swearing that there isn't a damn fish in the stream.

Best time of day will be morning as it is trico time and all but the Big Spring have decent if not good hatches. Also be sure to have a good selection of terestrials as all of the streams flow under canopy or through grassy meadows which lend themselves to this type of fishing.

Finally if you get a cahnce stop at the fly fishing heritage display at Allenberry on the Yellow Breeches (better yet get breakfast there and have a sticky bun you won't regret it!)
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
DavemAugust 3rd, 2011, 7:37 pm
DavemAugust 3rd, 2011, 7:41 pm
Posts: 7Thanks for the help. I am pretty much just going to blow through the area and do a few hours on a variety of streams to see what I like and to log away for a future trip hopefully in May. My biggest issue was access since all the waters are pretty small. Are there a lot of posted areas? or can you generally wade or walk along the shore without too much trouble? I was thinking of starting in Chambersburg and try Falling Springs SE of town. Next Big Springs, Green Springs, Yellow Breeches, and the Letort.
JOHNWAugust 4th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Dave,
FSB has lots of access and is easy to find. THere are 2 significant posted sections of stream but they are very clearly marked. The water you are talking about is in the regs area and is upstream of town. Good numbers of fish but definitely challenging limestone conditions (read lots of cress and weed creating conflicted and braided currents)

From FSB to Big Spring/Green spring is about 30 minutes. AS I mentioned Big Spring is extremely easy to access just park in one of the lots right along the stream and wade to your hearts content. I can't speak to the water below the town of Newville as I have just never made it down that way (something I eventually need to correct). Green Spring is also relatively easy to access but tend to be cloudy/murky if someone in the county thinks about flushing their toilet. It is pretty reliant on stocked fish and get's hit hard by the nocturnal necksnapper crowd so by this time of year it is tough to find a trout.
The Letort is 30-45 minutes from FSB and 20-30 minutes from Big Spring. Acess to the "Heritage water can be had from Bonnybrook Rd off of Rt 34. I'd advise against wading if at all possible as the stream is riddled with sink holes and deep silt. Not to mention these trout can feel the vibrations from anglers just walking on the bank to the edge of the stream.

Yellow Breeches is also about 45 minutes from FSB and 20 from Big Spring. Follow forge road into the town of Boiling Springs and then wrap around Childresn lake to the lot at the lake outflow. Just be cautious if you go into the mainstem regarding water temps.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.