Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Please identify this bug

Levwood has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
What is the genus and species and common name of this mayfly?
What is the genus and species and common name of this mayfly?
LevwoodJune 10th, 2013, 7:16 pm
Grosse Pte. Michigan

Mayfly captured in the Black River, northern Michigan on June 7. Can anyone tell me the name of this bug? Thanks, Lev
levwood@earthlink.net
Lev
OldredbarnJune 10th, 2013, 10:02 pm
Novi, MI

Looks to me like a Leptophlebia...cupida or nebulosa...Though I've never seen the odd dark markings on the wing?

We call it the Borcher's Drake...Thought to be the model for Ernie Borcher's famous Au Sable fly.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanJune 10th, 2013, 10:16 pm
Northern CA & ID

It looks like a male Isonychia tusculanensis imago, but they're not supposed to be in N. MI. Leptophlebia nebulosa looks very similar and does have the brown tipped wings as well. They have a terminal filament that I'm not seeing though. Even so, nebulosa is found in MI, so that would be my guess. Perhaps the middle tail was knocked off as these guys are always losing tails.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
LevwoodJune 11th, 2013, 7:53 pm
Grosse Pte. Michigan

Gentlemen, you guys are great. I do not have other photos, just this one. One of the tails did break off in my fingers. I'll go with the Leptophlebia since the folks at Gates Lodge did mention this off the cuff. If anyone else has a guess please weigh in but I think this case is solved! Thanks.

Lev
Lev
EntomanJune 12th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Northern CA & ID

One of the tails did break off in my fingers.

Nebulosa it is then, Lev.

The brown spot is likely from too much finger pressure on the wings with the hands. That often breaks the veins and lets the fluid out into the wings membrane.

Huh? Were'd you get this from, Mack...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularJune 12th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

The brown spot is likely from too much finger pressure on the wings with the hands. That often breaks the veins and lets the fluid out into the wings membrane.

What?
TaxonJune 12th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Mack,

I too have observed a yellow liquid-appearing spot, usually in the tip of one fore wing, and have often wondered about it, although it never occurred to me that it might be the result of a mayfly having been captured by its wing tips.

However, in the case of Leptophlebia nebulosa , the brown staining on the outer 2/5 of their fore wings serve to distinguish them from other Leptophlebia species.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
LevwoodJune 13th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Grosse Pte. Michigan

You guys are awesome. I have a great shot of a large black Michigan stonefly you can take a shot at too. Want it?

Lev
Lev

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.