Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Please identify this bug

Levwood has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
What is the genus and species and common name of this mayfly?
What is the genus and species and common name of this mayfly?
LevwoodJune 10th, 2013, 7:16 pm
Grosse Pte. Michigan

Mayfly captured in the Black River, northern Michigan on June 7. Can anyone tell me the name of this bug? Thanks, Lev
levwood@earthlink.net
Lev
OldredbarnJune 10th, 2013, 10:02 pm
Novi, MI

Looks to me like a Leptophlebia...cupida or nebulosa...Though I've never seen the odd dark markings on the wing?

We call it the Borcher's Drake...Thought to be the model for Ernie Borcher's famous Au Sable fly.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
BrookymanJune 10th, 2013, 10:03 pm
Banned
Hi Lev

Welcome to our forum. I have a couple questions for you first. Did the sample only have 2 tails or 3 ??? Do you know it size from head to the end of the abdomen ???. And would you have any other photo angles of this one. In the meantime I and others are searching to find out for you. Some of the real experts here may just beat me to it.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
BrookymanJune 10th, 2013, 10:14 pm
Banned
I agree Spence it does look like one on the site here. The wing veins look very light in color but the overall shape is good. The brown spot is likely from too much finger pressure on the wings with the hands. That often breaks the veins and lets the fluid out into the wings membrane.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
EntomanJune 10th, 2013, 10:16 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

It looks like a male Isonychia tusculanensis imago, but they're not supposed to be in N. MI. Leptophlebia nebulosa looks very similar and does have the brown tipped wings as well. They have a terminal filament that I'm not seeing though. Even so, nebulosa is found in MI, so that would be my guess. Perhaps the middle tail was knocked off as these guys are always losing tails.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
LevwoodJune 11th, 2013, 7:53 pm
Grosse Pte. Michigan

Gentlemen, you guys are great. I do not have other photos, just this one. One of the tails did break off in my fingers. I'll go with the Leptophlebia since the folks at Gates Lodge did mention this off the cuff. If anyone else has a guess please weigh in but I think this case is solved! Thanks.

Lev
Lev
BrookymanJune 11th, 2013, 9:13 pm
Banned
Case solved I say.
EntomanJune 12th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Site Editor
Northern CA & ID

One of the tails did break off in my fingers.

Nebulosa it is then, Lev.

The brown spot is likely from too much finger pressure on the wings with the hands. That often breaks the veins and lets the fluid out into the wings membrane.

Huh? Were'd you get this from, Mack...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularJune 12th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

The brown spot is likely from too much finger pressure on the wings with the hands. That often breaks the veins and lets the fluid out into the wings membrane.

What?
BrookymanJune 12th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Banned
Traver and ????.. It was written in the 40's I believe.

they did a paper called "the flight mechanics of mayfly wings"

If I read it right ??? Their hyaline wing is two layers of membrane with all the the veins encapsulated inside forming a complete structure that is ( convex-concave ) and so on. There is some origin in the metathorax region that pumps fluid into the veins from the abdomen causing the wings to become erect. If I have that right that may also explain why the male imagos abdomen anterior to sperm glans dehydrates so fast and collapse the segments. I have seen many photos of duns and spinners with that yellow bubble from squeezing too hard on the wings. I have dissected wings to find in most cases the serum / fluid is often yellow or yellowish-brown depending on the genus.

I guess the remnants from the digestive tract and stuff maybe it becomes that fluid. This paper was one I saw and read through some what just to get a idea how the wings work. Like I said I may have that wrong. But if that is correct ??? if we were to crush the fragile veins, the fluid would likely become trapped in between the two membranes.

Mack.
TaxonJune 12th, 2013, 5:06 pm
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Hi Mack,

I too have observed a yellow liquid-appearing spot, usually in the tip of one fore wing, and have often wondered about it, although it never occurred to me that it might be the result of a mayfly having been captured by its wing tips.

However, in the case of Leptophlebia nebulosa , the brown staining on the outer 2/5 of their fore wings serve to distinguish them from other Leptophlebia species.
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
BrookymanJune 12th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Banned
Hi Roger

Ya the stain thing is some kind of maculation that is only in them. I have just never seen that before. But no surprise I never encounter Lept's cause I only fish fast moving spring creeks. I do hit the Peralept's but nothing heavy.

Another interesting thing is the stigma region. The stain is a fluid base of some kind. I have delaminated some wings to find the reddish staining is a very thick fluid type material. It was in a Stenonema femoratum. The dots seem to have some repellent that makes them separate from the rest of the stain. They have a shiny oil like look to them at 600X. The wings are very interesting. I want to spend some time on Morgan 1910 she did a big paper on the developments of the wing from inside the chitlin sheath to the full upright wing. It makes me wonder if the fluid going to the wing as emergence takes place if it aids the propulsion of ejecting from the larva exuviae. If that makes any sense.

Mack.
LevwoodJune 13th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Grosse Pte. Michigan

You guys are awesome. I have a great shot of a large black Michigan stonefly you can take a shot at too. Want it?

Lev
Lev
BrookymanJune 13th, 2013, 3:37 pm
Banned
Load her up I am not a stone fly guy of much knowledge but I will take a poke at it after Roger tells me what it is LOL :-)

Start it as a new post

Mack.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.