User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Changes to the forum

TroutnutApril 26th, 2011, 9:24 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Enjoy!

• You can add profile pictures! Just click "my home" in the top right corner of the site, then "settings" from that page, and you can put up a picture. It'd be great to put as many faces to names as we can, but you can use your dog or a fish if you must.
  • You can now preview your posts before you submit them, except in the photo-posting boards.
  • You'll now see a list of "related topics" below most topic pages.
  • Some especially good discussions will be manually "featured" by me or a moderator, and show up in their own special list so they get more attention. Post something really good and you can make the list!
  • There are some new forum sections.
  • You'll get an email when you receive a new private message. You can turn this off in your settings.
  • Images embedded in forum posts will no longer make the pages take forever to load.
  • The forum code page is easier to read and follow. You guys can use bold and links too! And there's a simple code to embed YouTube videos.
  • The rules have changed slightly. Haiku is now permitted, but only on April Fool's Day.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
FalsiflyApril 26th, 2011, 5:19 pm
Hayward, WI.

Thumbs up Jason, this won't take but a few minutes to get use to.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CaseyPApril 26th, 2011, 5:37 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

oh...lookit all the new goodies! especially like all the new pictures. and all the bugs!! all hail the new haiku rule!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
TroutnutApril 26th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Glad you guys like it!

I've already noticed a couple problems. Casey's profile picture isn't showing up for me, the forum is loading really slow. You guys were used to the slow loading on the old site, but it was lightning fast on the new server until I started letting users in. Since I don't want to kick you all out and sit here enjoying a blazing fast, empty forum by myself, I'll have to try and fix it. I've got some ideas.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
TroutnutApril 26th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Oh yeah! I fixed the speed problem. The forum should now be much, much, much faster than you've ever seen it before.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Shawnny3April 26th, 2011, 10:33 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

A slippery slope with the Haiku Rule, Jason. I recommend reigning things in by at least banning texting abbreviations.

The new site looks cool. I'll have to click around a little more when I get a chance.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutApril 26th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I fixed the user profile picture problem, so they're showing up now.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
JADApril 27th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Alexandria Pa

Good job
It was due, I think most will like.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Flatstick96April 27th, 2011, 6:55 pm
Testing to see if my avatar works.

Jason, I'm sure you've fished the spot I'm standing in - it's [Edited, to protect the innocent]. There is a spot there where there is a nice pool below a good-sized (often impassable) falls, where the trail comes right to the edge of the cliff (about 15' higher than the stream) and people can stand right there and look down through the trees and watch you fish - Shawnny's wife was standing up there on the trail and snapped the pic. I think I caught ten standing in that one spot, all on a wet black ant that I was tossing right into the froth at the base of the falls, with a lot of weight. Good times...

(Last year Shawnny and I tried to fish up through that gorge, but the water so low that in most spots it was hardly moving - worst I've ever seen it, by a long shot.)
SofthackleApril 27th, 2011, 10:14 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Looks great, Jason. It takes a lot of work and effort to operate a forum such as this.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Aaron7_8April 27th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Helena Montana

I like the new changes keep up the good work Jason.
JOHNWApril 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Very Nice changes Jason!!!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
TroutnutApril 29th, 2011, 6:51 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Just fixed some bugs with the forum code. Now the image code/tag works again, and all the codes work in both upper and lower case.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
CaseyPMay 1st, 2011, 9:17 pm

okay, i'm totally creeped out. a few days back i didn't happen to make the picture/avatar thingy work and wasn't worried--lots of those things are hard for me to understand, so i give up easy and forget about it. then i happen along after a few days elsewhere and oops!

1) Jason knows i didn't make it work

and

2) he made it work

it's a darn good thing i regard you all as amongst my closest friends!!!

btw, that's the River Wharf in England, next Bolton Abbey. the fish over there are the most amazing color...

TroutnutMay 1st, 2011, 9:34 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

1) Jason knows i didn't make it work

and

2) he made it work

Don't worry, it's not creepy. It also wasn't your fault that it wasn't working. There was a bug preventing any of them from working, and I fixed it.

I knew yours was broken because it showed up in my web browser as a box for an image briefly, but then disappeared when it couldn't find the image. I right-clicked to view the link, and the empty space was correctly linked to your full-size image, but the thumbnail hadn't been created like it should have been. I figured it out, fixed the thumbnail code, and regenerated thumbnails for the 5 or so people who had created profiles by then.

After that, profiles were working right away for anyone who tried. I think.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
CaseyPMay 2nd, 2011, 5:13 pm

There was a bug preventing any of them from working, and I fixed it.

that's what i'm talking about--magic is always creepy if you have no idea how it's done. seriously, we are all wired differently, and even after 43 years of marriage to someone wired like you, it mystifies me.
OldredbarnMay 2nd, 2011, 6:08 pm
Novi, MI

that's what i'm talking about--magic is always creepy if you have no idea how it's done.

Casey,

I think you just created my favorite saying from this site...Per another thread along those lines...It wouldn't be magic if you understood how it was done...:) Magic, superstition, most of the worlds religions were probably created from that "creepy" feeling of not-knowing...When we mere-humans get creeped out our brains have to fill in the blanks to ease our angst...

Thanks!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JOHNWMay 2nd, 2011, 6:59 pm
Chambersburg, PA

btw, that\'s the River Wharf in England, next Bolton Abbey. the fish over there are the most amazing color...

No doubt that fish was sporting it's finest colours for Kate and Will's nuptials. However I find it's lack of a hat as totally disrespectful. Perhaps a few florican bustard feather fibers adorning it's brow.......
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.